Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Broke my arm today.......
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 05, 2008 05:25AM

So I was out walking my dog, and slipped on some ice halfway around the lake, and fractured my arm!!

Way out along the trail, I really had little choice but to walk the three km back to where I parked my truck, load my big dog on board, and drive him home using only my left hand. Then I grabbed my purse, and drove myself to emergency.

I am amazed how calm I stayed, and even though it hurt a lot, the pain was quite tolerable! Must be my raw superpowers, haha! When they offered me pain meds, I declined - it hurts, but I can handle it. How unexpected!

Do you suppose this also means I might recover faster than otherwise as well?

Does anyone have any great ideas what foods or not would be most supportive of my healing process? I picked up my daughter from the dentist after I got out of emergency, and my dentist really gave me an earful when he found out I was vegan (I didn't even mention the raw thing, haha!) Not only is he sure I will melt away to jelly at any moment from my obviously extreme lack of calcium, but he was positively over the top about my eminent B-12 deficiency! I don't normally discuss what I eat with anyone, but he saw me drinking some fresh grapefruit/orange juice the other day and could not resist telling me how bad all citris is for my teeth.

Anyway, I now have a bright neon pink cast, and I'm so disappointed that I may not be in good form when my dragonboat team starts up again in March.

My break is low on my arm, almost at the wrist. Right hand out of commission, of course - pretty good typing for only my left hand hey?

Sapphire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Broke my arm today.......
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 05, 2008 06:14AM

Ouch Sapphire! ...that's too bad, but I'm impressed with your composure.

I'm not sure what you would eat to speed the recovery, but i've been adding an entire bunch of fresh parsley to my green smoothies every day. I read that it is one of the most calcium rich foods there is.

I think with your attitude and diet you will recover quicker than normal anyway!

P.S. ...and I'm sure your left handed typing is much better than my dual handed hunt-n-peck typing any day of the week.

here's to a speedy recovery!

Aloha, Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 05, 2008 11:48AM

hi sapphire

yeah, i have heard of so many people making much speedier recovery due to raw

one thing u may wish to consider is drinking kale and broccoli juice

kale is "king of calcium" and broccoli is notorious for its calcium profile as well

that could aid in healing the bones ( which are after all, still cells like everything else thus are affected positively by what you put into the cells)

yeah, your typing is superb

that is quite a lot of stuff u typed with just one hand

very nifty

i am also a HUGE believer in keeping a positive disposition towards it, a sense of humor and doing all and everything possible ( keep exploring) to aid in its healing

emotionally
spiritually
physically

oh and yeah... dietarily

i've had my share of scrapes and injuries and am amazed at how far my attitude took me in healing

its always scary ( i'll be the first to admit that sometimes it can be VERY VERY scary)

but then... u counter that fear with faith and do everything you can and it can turn out to be an incredible experience

i don't welcome another serious injury (ever EVER!!)

but i did learn a LOT from those experiences

like how extremely lucky i am to have my limbs to begin with
and they are FUNCTIONING!! ( after all i've put them through)

its okay to be afraid though ( its normal)

don't try to block it out ( i sure didn't... i even cried a few times because i felt so frustrated and disappointed and thought " oh my gosh.. when am i going to WALK again???"

any injury like that makes u instantly contemplative LOL smiling smiley

happy contemplations

and wishing you an extraordinary and rapid healing

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 05, 2008 01:51PM

Hey sapphire, here's what louise hay has to say about arms:

Represent the capacity and ability to hold the experiences of life.
and here's the affirmation you can say to yourself:
I lovingly hold and embrace my experiences with love and with joy.

here's what she says about bone breaks:
Rebelling against authority. (hmm, does the dentist represent authority to you?)
and the affirmation for that one:
In my world I am my own authority; for I am the only one who thinks in my mind.

prescription for nutritional healing recommends glucosamine sulfate, kelp, silica or horsetail (the herb, not the hair), calcium, magnesium, vit c, vit d, and zinc. focus on foods that are high in those things and eat half a fresh pineapple a day until the fracture is healed, it contains bromelaine which reduces sweling and inflamation.

hope any of that helps. it's an excuse to gorge on pineapple anyhow!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 05, 2008 03:01PM

Sorry for your fall! Light eating of dark-leafy greens, or fresh OJ will give you all the minerals you need. Make sure to get good sunlight...and a bit of exercise....and you'll be right as rain. smiling smiley Power and strength to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 05, 2008 03:35PM

Ahh...so sorry. I am impressed with your composure on the long trip to the emergency room. I don't know what is good for breaks but I do know if calcium is called for figs is one of the highest plant sources. Hope you feel better soon and your healing is fast and efficient.

Date: February 05, 2008 05:10PM

Thanks everyone for all your kind thoughts!

Greg - I never knew that about parsley, it's great, because I LOVE parsley - will have to pick some up next time I go out. So sad you aren't my neighbor, it would be wonderful to share some of your beautiful gourmet raw food (I am crazy about all the beautiful food pictures you have posted - if you ever write a cookbook, I want it!)

La V - you are so right about attitude, I really learned that during my cancer treatments a while back. My kids should give me lots of chances to laugh now - man, they are going to have a big adjustment not having mom fussing 24/7! Last night I asked one of my daughters to cut me up a cantaloupe for supper, and you should've seen the groaning and eye rolling. Maybe I will have to send the little drama queen to hollywood one day, haha!

Coco, I'd love to rebel against authority, but in my world, I seem to have become the authority. Still, I am able to be surprised when a well educated person such as my dentist can be so unaware of so much.

Thanks for the thoughts David Mason - I totally agree about the greens, and will do my best about the OJ - just discovered yesterday how difficult it is to peel an orange using only my left hand - pretty tricky!

Pakd - I have never eaten a fig, and keep meaning to - good time for me to try a new thing!

Sapphire

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 05, 2008 05:40PM

Sapphire:

I did not think of that! LOL. I myself would get a girl to peel them for me......and perhaps feed them to me....oh wait...now I'm getting into personal agendas...... winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 05, 2008 05:57PM

About a week ago, my youngest daughter was bounding up the stairs in her normal 16-yr-old high energy way, and at the same time I was walking down the hallway at the top of the stairs. Well. when she got to the top, she unexpectedly grabbed the newell post and swung herself around in a very fast circle, and collided head on with me.

Nearly knocked me out cold! I saw stars and blackness. Once I could see again, and checked that she was ok, I went and looked in the mirror and discovered that my glasses had sliced my right cheek open. It was also clear I was going to get a pretty good shiner.

It's kind of funny, because my husband has been out of town for a few days. He left a smiling healthy wife, and will soon come back to one who is a total mess, haha! He's going to think I can't take care of myself! Who knew the job of "mom" was so dangerous!

Ah well, it's one way to get a little R&R!

Sapphire

Date: February 05, 2008 06:09PM

Hi Sapphire,

Thanks for the compliments on my food prep skills. if i lived closer, I would make you some delicious care packages to get you back up and running!

...and I can't believe you've never tried figs...such an amazing fruit. I don't know if you eat honey, but one of my favorite indulgences is a fresh fig dipped in raw honey. It makes my knees quiver...

In this instance I'd think it would be OK to unleash a good dose of maternal guilt trip on the kids... they should be bending over backwards to take care of you... "after all you've done for them...."

I'm sure you'll feel better soon,

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 05, 2008 06:25PM

I split open some dried figs last night and stuffed them with cacao nibs. angry smiley

Date: February 05, 2008 10:33PM

Sapphire you poor thing! I'm so sorry to hear about your fall. We've had a great deal of ice here. I almost took a tumble the other day walking down some steps... sometimes you don't even see it!

phantom what a creative use for dried figs! I will definitely have to try that...

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 06, 2008 09:06AM

Did your doctor give you a bone density test? Also I heard potassium is good for bones and cantaloupes have even more potassium than bananas. Also did you have your B12 levels checked? They won't affect your bones but I am just curious.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:37PM

I'm sorry to hear you broke your arm, Sapphire!!

Try drinking sesame seed milk - it's really tasty and it's high in calcium.

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: February 06, 2008 07:34PM

Hi everyone, and thanks again for the great thoughts!

I had some figs yesterday, and really liked them! I don't eat a lot of dates, they seem cloyingly over-sweet to me, and somehow I imagined figs would be the same. Not at all though, they were really good, and strangely familiar, I must have had them before and not realized it or something.

I had such a laugh last night. I discovered I can't use a knife very well one handed, so I piled a few veggies on the counter and asked my daughter to chop them up into a bowl for my supper. She moaned and groaned the whole three or four minutes that it took, and when she handed me the bowl of food, she remarked "I can't believe how much work it is to eat healthy, no wonder there are so many fat people!"

I think that's hilareous, because from a convenience point of view, I rank that kind of raw meal up there with the drive thru at McDonald's. I'd like to see anyone create a SAD meal in three minutes. Clearly I haven't been encouraging my kids to help in the kitchen enough, but now they will get a chance.

Best of all, my hubby will be home tomorrow - he is much kinder to me than my teenagers, haha!

Veganlife - I only saw the emergency room doctor so far, so no special tests besides just getting me X-rayed and casted, but that's a great idea, I will discuss that with my regular doctor when I see him next. And i love the idea of eating more cantaloupes - one of my favorite fruits! Will do that for sure! I will also try the sesame milk - made some last week and really liked it, so I should do that again soon.

Coconut chronicles - so glad to see you back, hope you have been well.

My big feat of strength today was that I managed to peel an orange for breakfast. I even managed to hook my bad fingers around it so i could pry it open in half. No way could I have done that yesterday - YAY!!!

Take care, especially if it is icy where you live!

Sapphire

Date: February 06, 2008 11:05PM

With all the accidents I would say the Universe is trying to slow you down.

Glad you liked the fig. I eat a lot of them. I am pretty sure I was deficient in calcium until last year.

It so funny how people feel cutting things up is a hassle. I guess she wanted to peel back a plastic wrap and nuke something resembling other peaople's food for you. That thought turns my stomach.

Glad your hubby will be home. It sounds like you can use him around more than usual winking smiley.

It is far from icy here. Sunny skies and highs of 60's. Sometimes Louisiana has such perfect weather.

Here is healing thoughts toward you!

Date: February 06, 2008 11:07PM

i suppose with cooked foods it seems like less work when it is cooking in the pot without your help. really though, you have to chop all of that up too! soup or salad, which takes less energy to put together? even a sandwich is a bit of work.
it's juicing that takes so much time for me, and makes such a mess too!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 06, 2008 11:50PM

Sapphire,

I'm sending healing vibes and "metta" as they say in Pali. smiling smiley I'll let you google that.

I'm impressed by your perfect typing though I know everything is taking much longer. I thought Lassie was supposed to run and get help! I thought all dogs were like Lassie.

Dog: Bark, bark, bark!

Person: What's that?

Dog: Bark! Bark!

Person: Sapphire?

Dog: Bark! Bark! Bark!

Person: Sapphire needs help?

Person: Sapphire fell on the trail by the lake?

Person: Show us where she is Lassie!

I wish it were that easy. Might be easier with dogs than teenagers.

Lee

Date: February 07, 2008 06:29AM

HA HA HA!!

lasssieeeeee!!!

help sapphire cut them veggies!!!

Date: February 07, 2008 02:35PM

LOL, Lee.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 07, 2008 02:52PM

Lee, that's FUNNY!

Sapphire, you'll heal in no time!

Date: February 07, 2008 04:36PM

REALITY:

Dog: Bark Bark (O dear Sapphire fell d - wait a minute, is that a golden retriever I see coming over the hill?)

Dog runs off

Person: Ouch, that hurts, wonder if it's broken (stands up carefully)

Dog: Bark Bark (hey golden, race you to that tree over there??)

Person: Heeeeerrrreeeee doggy! (ignored)

Dog: Bark Bark (hey golden, wanna see me pee on that tree?)

Golden runs off, owner is calling her

Person: Heeeeeerrreeee doggy! (ignored)

Dog: Bark Bark (has forgotten about golden, but now smells @#$%& beside the creek) Sniff Sniff

Person: Heeeeerrrreeee doggy!

Dog: Bark Bark (Coming, where ya been?)

Sapphire

Date: February 07, 2008 04:47PM

Considering that this thread is about an obviously painful experience... it's turned into one of the funniest threads ever!

Sometimes I'm guilty of typing LOL, when in reality I've only chuckled a little to myself,...

LOL, doesn't cut it for this one...
I'm cracking up so hard that my green smoothie almost came out of my nose.

You people are hilarious!

Sapphire, If laughter is the best medicine, I'd say the cast can come off now.

too funny, Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 07, 2008 06:07PM

FASTING MAYBE

Date: February 08, 2008 05:05PM

hey sapph, how's the arm? managing to peel any oranges on your own yet?

as funny as y'all are i can't report any green smoothie coming out of my nose at this time. ha ha.

Date: February 08, 2008 07:07PM

Hi all:

Arm is a little uncomfortable today, and I am sure it is because I didn't sleep late enough this morning - woke up too early, and couldn't get back to sleep. Amazing how restorative a good nights' sleep can be!

The good news is that I can straighten out my fingers today, and they seem to be a little stronger. But only in one certain way - I can grasp things, but can't move them - for instance, I can grab the door knob, but can't turn it to open the door.

The house is getting a little messy, and it is driving me nuts that it is so difficult to just jump up and do the stuff I want done - guess I am not as good at ordering people around as I intended to be. So, I may be a little cranky by the end of the day. This is probably a good lesson for me about patience or tolerance or something.

Have a great weekend!

Sapphire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2008 07:11PM by Sapphire.

Date: February 08, 2008 10:49PM

hmmm i tried and tried and TRIED but couldn't get the green smoothie to come outta my nostrils

but it did come out of my ears

i am hearing some good music LOL smiling smiley

Date: February 11, 2008 09:42PM

Well... had a good weekend, even if I am feeling totally disabled!

I made a wonderful discovery at the mall on Sunday - bar shampoo - way easier to wash my hair one-handed now, what a relief. One new development that is really surprising me, and I don't know if it means anything. I broke my pinky finger about 5 years ago in the same hand as my broken arm. The last two days it has been aching just as bad if not worse than my new break. How odd.

My doggie can nearly make green smoothie shoot out my nose with all his crazy antics - see if this does it for ya La V and coco:

When my dog was just over a year old, the german shepherd up the street went into heat, and our dog started acting a little strange. I had never been around an adolescent excited male doggie before, and my daughters were all very scandalized any time he became aroused...it was very , er, educational.

One morning, we all piled into the van to get to school - three girls, one younger brother, and the crazy dog. There was the usual noise of a family - girls fighting over who stole whose lipgloss, ponytails bouncing, yelling at little brother, whatever, but all of a sudden it turned into (grossed-out) screaming!! I glanced back, and all three girls had jumped out of their seats and were pressed against the back door!!

The dog, meanwhile was sitting right in the middle of the seat which the three girls had been just moments before. And I looked back just as he, well, um, how can I say this delicately - "climaxed" all over the seat!!! Yep, went off like a lawn sprinkler! You should have heard the screaming. And as for me, I was laughing so hard, I can't believe I never drove right off the road!!!

After school, one of my daughters spent nearly three hours scrubbing and cleaning the "contaminated" seat, haha!!

I still crack up every time I think about it, LOL.

Sapphire

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 11, 2008 11:58PM

There has to be an easier way to get a child to help keep the car clean.

smiling smiley

Date: February 12, 2008 02:26AM

ha ha, *laughing* ha. hoo.

sapphire, it sounds as though your body is revisiting the site of that old break and doing some additional healing while it also attends to this new break. i would highly recommend some tissue salts at this time to assist in your body's work here, can you see a homeopath for a quicky consult? or sometimes the peeps at the healthfood store know which homeopathic remedies are for what and can suggest something. go for it, it isn't something that you would normally ingest but homeopathics are a terrific compliment to what the body does naturally and it seems to me that this is a great time for them for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables