Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tight muscles
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 10, 2008 07:28PM

Hi,

I ran my first marathon about a year ago and liked it a lot. I decided to train for a full marathon this year and at that time I was on a SAD diet. The healthy version of the diet (no junk food, lots of fruits) but still a lot of dairy products, cereals and bread.

Unfortunately, I have hamstrings so tight it caused me an ITBS (problem with the knee) that forced me to stop running. It's been a couple of months and no amelioration whatsoever.

That and the fact that I always feel tired and always catch a flu when someone in my entourage gets one, made me decide to try the raw food diet.

So far I'm feeling great, and I don't want to go back to cooked food. However, I've been raw since January 3rd of this year (so today would be my 37th day or so) and my hamstrings muscles fells even tighter these days.

I know it's probably from detox but I just want to be reassured I guess. I heard a lot of people who say that they start to feel way better after only 30 days. I just wondered if a lot of people have seen tremendous results much later than 30 days after the beginning of a raw food diet because so far my energy is great but I don't feel a tremendous change yet.

Thanks a lot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tight muscles
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: February 10, 2008 07:44PM

Hi,
When I first went high percent raw vegan, I developed a severe cold and muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders. I was very inflamed. I am not sure if it was related to the cold or not. I was definitely detoxing. My body worker suggested to take omegas (flaxoil) to help lubricate the tissues and ease the inflammation. It took a while 9several weeks), but it did go away.

I ran a half and a full marathon as well. Running is wonderful! I could not d it since then (thyroid issues), but am slowly getting back into it.

If you want to continue running check out chirunning.com

best
nibs

--------------------------------------------------
The greatest of follies is to sacrifice health for any other kind of happiness.
Arthur Shopenhauer

Posted by: lacombe ()
Date: February 10, 2008 09:48PM

how do you get an entourage??? and if i get one do i have to feed them?

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 10, 2008 11:13PM

Oh, Sorry, I guess entourage is not an English word.

I mean relatives.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 11, 2008 12:29AM

Yeah, entourage is a word we use. We don't use it to mean relatives though. :-) I thought you meant associates and friends in your running group. :-)

Posted by: RawLoveBaby ()
Date: February 11, 2008 07:18PM

I think everyone is different. I've practiced yoga 4-6 days/week for the past 9 months and was on the SAD diet. I then left town and went on a raw food/cleansing retreat and did not do yoga for three weeks while I cleansed. When I came back home and went to a yoga class my flexibility tripled. I was so surprised since I hadn't done yoga in three weeks.

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 11, 2008 08:37PM

sebzzz,

It's been well over a year of transitioning to raw for me and my body is now my friend. I go for light 40 minute runs a few times a week and have virtually no problems with my knees etc etc etc anymore. I couldn't do that on SAD eating even 15 years ago when I used to run a bit. Too much pain and tiredness. And I'm still noticing improvements as time goes on and I'm 53 yrs old. Just give it time.

Dulset

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 12:57AM

Sounds like you need some Magnesium. Calcium contracts the muscles and magnesium relaxes the muscles. I use Peter Gilham's Natural Calm Magnesium, plain flavor.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:58AM

Yoga?

Warm baths?

Massage?

Maybe?

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 13, 2008 10:46PM

I've noticed that salt can lock up my muscles, even natural sea salt.. just a thought !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 10:47PM by Lightform.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables