Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: coconut oil
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:01PM

Am just discovering cocnut oil myself, mostly as a moisturiser/cleanser/hair conditioner. Am tempted to eat some now tho.

Re the religious argument - this is an interesting article about the 4 different stages of "belief in God" humans can be in. An interesting read. I think most raw foodists will find themselves in stage IV whatever we decscribe God as - or God not as.

[www.escapefromwatchtower.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 02:06PM by Dulset.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:06PM

I keep coconut oil under my bathroom sink. Purely for matters of love. I just can't eat it knowing what I use it for, since that, lol

But I know it is a VERY important ingredient in Coconut cream cakes and pies.

I made that for potluck in 2003
I made this as Kitchen Apprentice at the Tree Of Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 02:07PM by suvine.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:40PM

Dream big... It's easier since everyone is shooting low.

Mary

Posted by: birch ()
Date: February 15, 2008 04:52PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have had a laxative effect-- but I wish I'd read about it before ingesting 2 tbs. of the stuff the day before yesterday. That experience coupled with getting a bad chest cold coincidentally was enough to make me lose my appetite for the last 2 days-- I did lose weight, but I'm not sure it was the fat!

Stoner, you said you lost 4 pounds, sorry to ask a personal question but did you have a laxative effect on ingesting so much coco oil? I am curious about the possible more long term effects on metabolism but I'm afraid to take too much.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:19PM

As for the coconut oil...

One day I ate 1/3 a jar (probably 8 tbsp or more?!), and zero laxative effect. I was HUNGRY for whatever was in that. It was a mad coconut lust. I did drop a lot of weight during my first month, which is when this happened, so it's possible it was still doing a lot of cleansing, just not so violently. tongue sticking out smiley I also did specifically get raw coconut butter--oil with meat, so the fiber content was very high. I did feel a weird, soupy, churning sensation in my stomach whenever I ate crazy amounts (upwards of 4 tbsp, it was a daily struggle to keep it at 2!). It wasn't uncomfortable or painful or anything bad, really, but there was a very specific ocean-motion that happened inside me after eating it. I don't think I'd want to eat that much every day for the rest of this year, but it was very good while I was eating it.

Dulset, that's an awesome link! It reminds me of whoever's "three stages of morality" in psychology. Interestingly, I think there's a way of coming full-circle with this--I identify very strongly with stage IV, but there were a few elements of stage I that rang true to me. I am completely governed by myself, no one else's will, albeit I'm not out to stab everyone in the back for my personal gain. Especially with experiencing raw energy and freedom, there is a chaotic element to being so unfettered that is definitely spiritual... planetary... transcendental... And something awesome happens when you recognize that chaos and potential in everything and everyone around you, whether you are concerned with a god or not.

I think we're on the right track, whenever we find circles, be they are in quantum physics or in nature.

I hope that made sense, haha. ^^

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:44PM

ha, i heard coconut oil is good for lube and it's edible, suvine. :p

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:53PM

>>Especially with experiencing raw energy and freedom, there is a chaotic element to being so unfettered that is definitely spiritual... planetary... transcendental... And something awesome happens when you recognize that chaos and potential in everything and everyone around you, whether you are concerned with a god or not.<<

Wow Phantom, beautifully put.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:11PM

While I love the idea of losing weight by eating more of X, I think that tends not to be the case for anything. People native to tropical areas, like all indigenous people, are not looking to lose weight. They sought fatty and sweet food to help *maintain* their weights--after all, they were a lot less sedentary than us. If it was a weight loss food, I don't think they would have eaten it.

But, it is way better compared to cooked oils, fried foods. So if you substituted raw coconut oil for those foods, maybe you would lose weight, and I bet feel much, much better. It's all relative, right?

Thank you for that post, Phantom.

Posted by: ferg ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:46PM

Ummm Suvine...As pretty as you try to look, you seem like a really negative person. Maybe you should go back to wishing and feeling.. you talk like a robot. Thoughts and feelings are some of the most powerful emotions a human can experience. Your mom said she feels god but you are saying God doesn't exist? What does this have to do with coconut oil? You are trying so hard to come across as intelligent but honestly, you don't have a clue. Wishing is a powerful thought; do some research Suvine; people have cured themselves of cancer and other diseases through the power of positive thought.

Stoner... about coconut oil... I eat it every day. I love it; its the only oil I consume. You might be consuming a tad much though. Try to keep it to no more than 1 tbsp. total of fat everyday and see how that feels. Rawbies have a habit of overindulging in fats. I have the same problem. Cheers.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 15, 2008 09:22PM

Everyone gets to have their own opinion on what works for themselves. This is a gentle reminder (for myself as well as everyone else) to share about what works for you, but not to criticize what works for others.

And if you see something that appears to you that it may not be working for another person, consider asking the person if they want your input, rather than giving it to them. Because you may just find that the other person may be happy with the way things are, and will take your input personally in a negative fashion.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 15, 2008 09:55PM

After I switched to using coconut oil on my face by chance, it turns out that my body loves it and seems to look forward to it, although currently I'm not experiencing a coconut craving in my diet at present. Interestingly, ever so often, I can taste it a while after I've applied it and it comes across as very pleasant.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: birch ()
Date: February 15, 2008 09:58PM

perhaps I had such a negative reaction because I've not ingested ANY saturated fat (except what small amount may have come accross in the rare vegan cookie?) in 7 years?

ps, good point on the native peoples not looking to lose weight...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2008 10:00PM by birch.

Date: February 16, 2008 03:25AM

alright, all this talk of coco oil is making me want some. i'm going to get that tub out of the fridge and eat a spoonful of it and see how it makes me feel.

and Pistacio, your picture is an absolute delight. it's so small and colourful, it's like a little delicious snack for the eyes. it would be overwhelming if it were bigger, as it is it's just the perfect little treat, a compliment to your posts. i love it! makes me want some fruit salad to go with that coconut!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 16, 2008 06:23AM

Building on some comments----Do people who eat coconut oil on a regular basis find it to be a laxative? What about coconut cream? I am curious. I know it's difficult to make generalizations--especially when other things in the diet can affect these things (like the discussion about vinegar; it may be beneficial for SAD eaters and negative for a long-time raw-ist). But if anyone has seen any patterns...

Date: February 16, 2008 06:34AM

I don't notice a laxative effect....but I've never had problems in that area.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: February 16, 2008 05:33PM

I've been thinking about these discussions, and my own experience has been that since starting to eat raw it's been like the "doors of perception" have been blown wide open. I'm feeling and experiencing everything in my life with so much more clarity. I feel a great deal more sensitive to everything, and yet in a strong and outgoing way, not in a cringing and avoiding way (although I had some lavender and chamomile tea yesterday and it knocked me out completely, but didn't affect the SAD eaters with me at all! lol). My dreams are more vivid, more instructive. My creative juices are flowing, wildly. I've never felt better in my life - it's like being newly in love, except it keeps on going!

For me life is all about experiencing the journey. For whatever reasons, we get to live on this wonderland of a planet with so many tastes, sights, sounds, smells, textures - it's all so incredible, and such a gift. And instinct. After becoming a mother I've learned what instinct really is, and it's a gut feeling, and I trust it completely. When it comes to my child, if I have to choose between the advice of a scientifically trained doctor who's looking at laboratory data or my own instincts, I choose my instincts every time. And so far they've been right, every time. Feelings are simply another way of knowing.

So, anyway, about coconut oil... smiling smiley

I love it, but it seems like I tend to gain weight when I consume very much of it. My son and I can sit down with a jar of coconut butter and spoons and be happy for quite a while! Love coconut oil for face, body and hair moisturizing. I also use it for oiling wooden bowls/tools in the kitchen.

Cheers,
Emily

Date: February 16, 2008 08:33PM

oh, i am SO glad you wrote that! it's the perfect thing to oil my cutting board with, duh! i can finally ditch that terra nova naturoil that i never use. i just don't trust it without a full disclosure label and my cutting board has gotten really dry.

SO smart, thanks!

Date: February 17, 2008 04:27AM

Hey Coco: glad you enjoyed my fruity treat smiling smiley)

I notice that many of the above posts focus on the coconut oil and butter, but very little on the coconut flesh, whether from the young one (jellylike) or the older one (harder and thicker). These can also be used in recipes as well and still derive benefits as well.

Many families of Caribbean background regularly include coconuts in Sunday dinners with their rice & peas dish. Usually the mature coconut is grated and milk made and used in the rice. Some use the grated coconut mixed with ginger and lots of sugar then heat it to a candy-like consistency. Other cultures also use coconut milk in the sauce in their meat dishes. To my knowledge, these and other ways of preparing them do not cause digestive challenges, some of which were described above.

My guess is that probably because much of the fiber content is still present in those dishes it limits whatever factors, if not balanced with the other parts,could create gastric issues.

In a 'nutshell', I feel that the benefits of this plant can be obtained nut just from the pure oil, but from the entire fruit/nut and that raw versions of tried and proven cooked recipes can be equally enjoyable.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:44PM

I just salivated at that last post!

The problem for me was always getting the flesh out of mature coconuts, before I found a place that sold the young ones. Otherwise, if it hadn't been so much work, I would have eaten the mature ones like the butter. angry smiley

Date: February 17, 2008 10:44PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The problem for me was always getting the flesh
> out of mature coconuts, before I found a place
> that sold the young ones.

You can use the tip of a blunt or rounded knife to pry it out.
Place the knife between the shell and the meat and work your way from there with gentle motions.
If you broke the coconut in several pieces, then it would be easier to get the flesh away from the shell.

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: February 17, 2008 11:48PM

Hey, everyone...Hi, Stoner! smiling smiley)

You've started a great thread...thanks to all who posted the great information on coconuts and coconut oil!

I always loved eating the mature fruit or the shredded meat of the coconut as a kid but it wasn't until I learned about the benefits of raw food that I realized the shredded coconut one might find in a regular grocery is probably cooked, and of course, loaded down with refined sugar.

So for years, I've been buying organic, unsweetened shredded coconut, but I've found it hard to find, even online, where it is guaranteed to be REALLY RAW, and not steamed or pastuerized.

I would also like to buy real virgin coconut oil, and it would be great if I could get them both from the same place.

Does anyone have any links to places I can find real raw shredded coconut and the virgin oil?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted by: LaPieta ()
Date: February 18, 2008 07:09AM

No, sorry, but just to add to the coconut oil conversation...

Just remember that moderation is always a good idea. I've found coconut water to be very health promoting, but can only handle smaller quantities of coconut oil.

I have one of the books touting the health benefits of coconut oil - the author makes it sound almost a cure-all for just about everything. The book is very compelling and the author talks about medium chain triglycerides being good for many things including IBD (Crohn's disease and colitis).

Medium chain saturated fatty acids (triglycerides) contained in coconut oil are reportedly healthier, than the other types of saturated fatty acids.

The problem is that coconut meat, oil and milk contain a lot more than just the medium chain triglycerides. All the studies that I've seen referenced have been done on medium chain triglycerides and not on the whole food.

The author suggests eating 1-3 tablespoons a day of the oil - direct from the jar if you want. Decided to try it but got sick on 1 tablespoon. But then those of us with IBD don't metabolize fats well, so I probably should have known better. Except that I've been in remission for 10 years and don't have any trouble eating anything else.

So despite the author's claims that it is good for IBD, the whole food didn't appear to be so great, at least in my case. Medium chain triglycerides from coconut ARE good for IBD though, and are even used in the care of hospitalized IBD patients.

Of course this is just the opposite of what one would expect - the whole food in this case not being as healthful as a substance found in the whole food (at least for people with digestive issues.)

I still do use it and have no problems when it's eaten in moderation with other foods.

Conclusion: If you have digestive issues such as IBS or IBD, eat the oil only with other foods, if at all, and in small amounts. (The same is true for all high fat foods.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 07:24AM by LaPieta.

Date: February 18, 2008 08:08PM

Hi, LaPieta! smiling smiley)

That is very interesting information! I have a friend who suspects they a might have Crohn's, and they also have thyroid issues, so I will direct them to this thread.

I am so happy to hear that you have been in remission for so long- is this beacuse you have been raw for all that time?

Also, would you be so kind as to share the title and author of the book you referred to? I would love to read it and also pass that information to my friend.

Cheers! Marley

Posted by: mira ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:50AM

Did anybody notice weight loss?

Date: February 19, 2008 04:53AM

I don't think I could lose any weight. I'm slim and pretty much all muscle, so if I lost weight, it'd be losing muscle.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: azrael ()
Date: February 19, 2008 10:07AM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My mom "feels" god told her he lives in the sun.
> Feelings are not accurate tests for reality. I can
> give you many examples. God is a superstition, a
> "wish" he is not real. Wishing wont make it so.
> Wishing wont make anything in the body happen.
> Feeling good, does not mean your sickness goes
> away. Only things you do, like actions you take,
> ie food , exercise, etc..Only cause and effect.
> Only actions will do anything, that is the best
> advice I ever learned, something to ponder
> myself.
>
>
> I used to be an " emotionalist" I saw the world
> through my emotions. Now I try to be a
> rationalist. What a difference. I see everything
> differently. I only trust facts and I never
> believe in something someone tells me to believe
> in on faith alone. If I can't prove it myself, I
> dont accept it as a belief. or see proof.
>
> You would be surprised, the world says this or
> society says that and everyone doesnt question
> nothing,
>
> Anyways, I took coconut oil a long time ago, tons
> of it, at the tree of life that is what we used
> alot. I never felt any changes, it is just a food.
> not a magic potion. Like olive oil. There are tons
> of books that say anything about anything but I
> never see any proof, just testimonials.

Suvine, How do we establish truth? How can we prove anything? It seems to me that the whole of experience is subjective and there is no ultimate truth. Isn't a fact somthing that is experienced through observation? Therefore, wouldn't "fact" be something that is different for you, youar mother, my mother, stoner, myself, and every other individual on the planet? Can't a person's testimonal can be seen as fact? I see what you are sayingbut at the same time it is very difficult.

Date: February 20, 2008 01:29AM

I think you are talking about subjective reality.
meaning, I can make up reality, by evading, lying, imagining, wishing etc.. but that does not make it so.

I can say there is a pink elephant orbiting the earth supervising us, but that does not make it so. For example.

I can take drugs and write a book, about anything. That does not make it truth.

What is REAL, is reality. It exists outside of our consciousness, this desk, this pen, my age..

Also, cause and effect, I push this ball it rolls, I push this button it beeps. That is real.

Still with me?

Reality has rules. Let's say I cannot deal with the fact that the ball does not beep and the button does not roll. I am angry. If I fight it, I may convince people the ball beeps, and have followers, but the ball only rolls.

So now, I read a book where a doctor says, " My pill cures tumors". Is this reality? So, I ask, "prove it"..I want to see a photo. I want to use reason and think for myself, is this a fact?

Is this real>

Haven't you ever felt like something was red and it turns out it was blue? You can't always trust feelings. I meant by my comment, was when someone FEELS something, with no proof, I take it with a grain of salt unless I can prove it myself.

I do not believe any knowledge should be witheld or only a certain person has acces to it. I want to know.

Thanks for asking.

There are concretes, love admiration, etc..

Date: February 20, 2008 01:41AM

Hey, I've got a question for stoner and all others who spoke of eating spoonfuls of coconut oil...

I just got a JAR of oil. I ordered it from my natural foods market and it was advertised for hair and body care but on the label it says "Good enough to eat". When I opened it, it was thick, and the label also had a serving suggestion of placing it in a tub of warm water to liquefy.

Is this how you consumed it?

Just curious...

Thanks- Marley

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 20, 2008 01:55AM

Suvine,

I understand what you are trying to say, but I suggest that you read up on the latest developments in quantum physics.
The strict mechanistic view of the universe is quickly falling apart. There is no "reality" outside of our own consciousness. There is no such thing as "objective" reality because it is impossible to remove ourselves, as the observer, from the observation.

Oh yeah, and to keep on topic a bit, i like coconut oil for oil pulling too!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 20, 2008 03:02AM

Think what you like.

I just dont share the present day theories that logic is arbitrary and that we cannot trust our senses..

nihilism, is that the word?

It has kept me alive for so long, my reasoning! smiling smiley

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables