Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting in Thailand - anyone done it?
Posted by: badawie ()
Date: February 11, 2008 07:15PM

Hi,

My friend and I are heading off to an island near koh samui to do a fast. We'll be there for 12-14 days..they recommend you spend as long 'recovering' from the fast as you spend on it. So, was thinking, 2 day pre-cleanse, 7 day fast, 4 day recovery.

I am new to fasting, this is going to be a really basic intro. They use Arise and Shine products.

I was wondering if I could get some input from more experienced fasters..

From the fasting programme..the following will be used..

COLLOIDAL SILVER
A powerful, natural antibiotic compound made from pure silver and distilled water. Excellent for treating acute illness, and a wonderful preventative “medicine”.

“EMERGEN-C”
This incredible drink provides instant energy, flushes the body with vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants, and restores electrolyte balance by re-hydrating. Naturally flavored and sweetened.

GRAPESEED EXTRACT
Harness the power of citrus fruits in this super-concentrate! Use for parasites, colds/flu, stomach disturbances and much more.

“WELLNESS FORMULA”
Super Immune booster (tablets) - A comprehensive combination of nature’s most powerful herbs for health, healing and well-being.

DIGESTIVE ENZYMES
For those experiencing trouble with digestion (poor absorption, flatulence, stomach ache, etc...). Help your stomach take care of you! Best just before a meal.

GINSENG/GINSENG AND ROYAL JELLY
The magic tonic of Asia, for energy and stamina! Take away or enjoy as a tea or additive to juice.

We also stock a good range of more traditional vitamins and supplements necessary for treating visitors to Asia.

(Again, remember to see our “Fast Food” menu for other helpful supplements.)

Organic Coffee:
Organic, imported, and very satisfying. We stock regular and de-caff. Sweetened with honey, add milk or soymilk.

Herbal Teas
Select from our vast range of herbal teas, gathered from all over the world. We stock a number of teas grown here in Thailand and use them prescriptively for the relief of specific situations, guided by the wisdom of the local peoples. We also offer the organic, often wild-crafted blends from UniTeas, delicious herbs mixed just right for whatever you feel you need. Try PuriTea, ImmuniTea, LeviTea or a little SensualiTea... You get the picture…

Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juices:
Superior quality extractions from our Champion Juicer

Boost with juice and receive ultimate nourishment in an easily digestible, succulent and wildly colourful form.

Nature’s gift to you – detoxifying, purifying, satisfying.

Made fresh each morning, available from 10:30am. Choose from:

Apple Pineapple
Carrot Cucumber
Mixed Vegetable Watermelon
Papaya Mixed Fruit
Orange Mango
You can…

Blend them together
Spice them up with ginseng, cinnamon or a range of other spices
Add fresh Thai basil, lemongrass or coriander

------

This seems like a lot of crap in my system! Should I ditch this stuff?? They probably use it all to justify the cost. I'm there also to get a break from where I live..I know I can do this at home much cheaper, but I have to travel before I lose it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting in Thailand - anyone done it?
Date: February 11, 2008 07:18PM

Forgot to mention, the place is called "The Sanctuary". I was also wondering if anyone knows the "Arise and Shine" products.

Otherwise, does anyone have any ideas for good fasting retreats? Something not too hardcore..would like some sun and massages etc too!

Thanks everyone!

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 11, 2008 08:07PM

I would skip a few of the ala carte menu items...

Colloidal silver -- I get enough heavy metal toxicity from my environment;

Emergen-C -- Why not just drink some juice that is high in vitamin C? I don't see the benefit of taking in chemically manufactured vitamin C when so much natural vitamin C is available;

Digestive enzymes -- not necessary for most people;

Ginseng -- a stimulant you probably don't need;

Royal jelly -- another stimulant and not vegan;

Read the ingredients label on the "Wellness Formula" before buying and ingesting it.

Fill up on all the fresh juices and fruits (if you are eating fruits) and soak up the warm sun and breeze. I'm doubtful that any of the extras can add anything of lasting value for you. A healing environment and delicious juice and produce are more than enough to clean you out. Your body will know what to do if you aren't tweaking it with all those supplements.

Please tell us how it goes.

I hope you have an awesome trip!

Lee

Date: February 11, 2008 08:17PM

Hi Lee,

Thanks so much!

I was surprised to see the silver and the emergen C in particular. And the digestive enzymes..well..I would think I would get those from the papaya and mangos..

I think I'll be doing mostly green juice with some fruit..I'm hoping to finally get the taste of the famous durian that everyone talks about!

Date: February 11, 2008 08:27PM

I'm psyched for you! Sounds like a really cool thing to do.

And let me know about durian. My local ethnic market has it but I'm afraid to try it. My housemate says it stinks (as in smell) but so many people here say it is delicious. I'm not sure if it's worth being evicted over. Let me know! ha ha

Lee

PS: I think I've seen "Arise and Shine" products in a local health food store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 08:31PM by Lee_123.

Date: February 11, 2008 09:00PM

lol..I will!

I was just talking to my mom about durian (she used to live in bangkok) she said, "it stinks!"..but still apparently delicious.

Glad you've heard of the products, at least I know they're an actual brand :-)

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 11, 2008 10:08PM

I agree with Lee--who needs all that. I'm not all against supplements, but they get pretty silly pretty quickly.

Date: February 11, 2008 10:55PM

The place I'm going seems to be very enthusiastic about something called "parasite zapping". Anyone know what that is or had it done? I'm really only interested in the yoga and meditation..but the name intrigues me. I could look it up, but I prefer first hand experience!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 11, 2008 10:59PM

I'm dying to go to Thailand just for the FRESH FRUIT. <3 And warm weather...

Hopefully the fast will be in a very beautiful and peaceful place. I'll also second everyone else and say to consider the extra products and supplements very carefully--if it's essential to the body, nature should already provide it.

Durian. Is. FANTASTIC!! I eat a whole one every day (sometimes only half if they're HUGE). I've only had the Mornthong (sp?) variety, and they aren't very smelly--slightly like eggs, but MUCH MORE like perfume and sweetness, almonds, strawberry, and custard, yum! I defrost mine for about 12 hours, and they're ready to go. The inside looks kind of scary until you get accustomed to it, but it went from perplexing => addicting very fast. Keep an open mind. Just throw away the pits, skin, any inedible parts ASAP, right down the garbage chute--don't let any of it sit in your trashcan, because once it starts to decompose, it will REEK. =)

**Edit: and please keep us updated with your experiences!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 11:06PM by phantom.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 12:55AM

I've not done the program to which you are referring. I am currently on a distilled water fast. I'm on day 7. I have 3 more days to go. One has to gradually introduce food back into the system. One recommendation is to break the fast with 1/2 an apple. I've done it before. I prefer to break it with something juicer, like grapes or the cherimoyas that I just ordered. smiling smiley

As for parasite zapping, I believe that is integral to the raw lifestyle. I've been doing it since becoming raw, for more than 3 years. One has to continue to maintain it as one comes across so many parasites everyday.

Regards, Therese

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:21AM

I don't realy do supplements but I've heard that colloidal silver is harsh for the internal digestive organisms when taken orally. I've also heard that digestive enzymes are extremenly helpfull as we have to use metabolic ones which are a finite supply when ever those necessary for digestion are not present in the food we eat.

Posted by: mindy_r ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:48AM

hi,
i am no where near knowledgeable enough in this area to comment on this, but i did read a story online about a month or so ago about a man that drank colloidal silver every day and he eventually turned blue! one could probably find his story online if one was so inclined to look! winking smiley he was drinking it every day for years!
anyway, i thought that was interesting! i am sure that it won't happen after a few days!
take care and good luck!
mindy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 12, 2008 06:44AM

blue?

wow...that's pretty neat, actually tongue sticking out smiley

EXTRAORDINARY!

Date: February 12, 2008 01:52PM

First they sell you the colloidal silver then they sell you the heavy metal detox kit...

Date: February 12, 2008 10:38PM

Blue?! Interesting..

One things that's kind of worrying me is that the island is pretty far from bangkok, and I don't know if I'll feel up to buses and walking and planes a couple of says after fasting.

My mom had thins to say: "how can you go to thailand and not eat any of the wonderful food!".

Date: February 13, 2008 01:56AM

Some links on silver:

[news.bbc.co.uk]

[abclocal.go.com]

[nccam.nih.gov]

[www.quackwatch.com]

[rosemaryjacobs.com]

YIKES!

Badawie, what your mom said is so mom-like. I had to chuckle. If you feel more weak than refreshed, eat some of the fruits and a raw salad the day before you have to travel... maybe.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:28PM

Sounds like you are not fasting but eating alot of pills lol

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:07AM

The Arise and Shine cleanse is oriented more for cooked food eaters rather than raw foodists. Most raw foodists will find the cleanse too harsh for their bodies if they have been eating mostly raw foods. But have your own experience and see.

I've been to the Spa Resort in Koh Samui, and their main cleanse is the Arise and Shine. What I like about that place is they have a vegetarian restaurant with some gourmet raw dishes, as well as an assortment of fruit plates and salads and fresh juices.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 15, 2008 03:17AM

don't worry, i'm sure you won't turn blue. or will you? boy, your mom will really have something to say about that! smiling smiley

have a blast!

Date: February 17, 2008 08:41PM

Ah, interesting Bryan..I was about to book the spa resort too.

Unfortunately I've cancelled my trip. My doctor says it's a bad idea since I'm still on thyroxine and my hormones are fluctuating because I've been weaning myself off it. He said my metabolism is already low due to coming off the thyroxine and that fasting will lower it even more.

Anyone know about this? He's a pretty open minded guy and was fine with the fasting, he says I should come off completely before doing it..he actually (shock horror!) thinks it's a good idea.

I'm quite sad about cancelling.. sad smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:46PM

Just postponing... not cancelling! =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables