Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Kidney Beans?
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 13, 2008 10:29PM

I know we're not supposed to eat them raw but what about cooking them on 100 degrees for a really long time? They are one of my favorite foods and I keep falling off the wagon to eat them. Help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Kidney Beans?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:09PM

If YOU think they are a healthy food...then cook them and eat them if you must (I hear they aint healthy sprouted). If YOU feel they are an unhealthy food....and you eat them anyway....then just be CONSCIOUS that you are eating for pleasure in lieu of health...and CHOOSE to eat the cooked beans....and be happy. Don't eat them compulsively....without choosing...and suffer.

-There is no 'wagon'....only some other comparison in your mind....other than the way that is right for YOU. Don't hold yourself to the illusion - my friend. smiling smiley

-Just my thoughts. You can always try other sprouted beans that are not as bad.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:14PM

hahahahhahaha... i could have written this post a few months ago, except substitute "kidney" for "pinto".

i tried to soak them for a really long time. yuck. i tried cooking them at really low temperatures for a long time. yuck. i tried all kinds of "raw gourmet" substitutes for refried beans. double yuck. when you really want the real deal, the almost is totally nasty imo. i tried eating them once a week. they tasted good, but i felt yuck.

so i have no magic bullet for you, except to say that for me the more i fell off the wagon and felt yuck, the less i wanted them. now i can take my daughter and her friends out for a bean burrito without incident. smiling smiley

i suggest just noticing without judgement how you feel after you eat them. "i notice i don't feel so hot, hmmmm, isn't that interesting?" they will let go of you, i promise!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2008 12:23AM

you know, you can increase the nutrient quantity of beans as well as decreasing their cooking time by sprouting them for a couple of days. just DO NOT EAT SPROUTED KIDNEY BEANS raw as they are toxic. but some simmering and they should cook up in no time.
toss them into a green salad and most of your meal is raw. that's pretty good.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 14, 2008 12:37AM

if your worst vice is kidney beans, you are doing better than over 99% of the population. I say, keep enjoying them until the desire falls away. I wouldn't say that for french fries or hamburgers, but beans? I think you'll be okay.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 14, 2008 01:14AM

they have to be heated to a signiicant temp. They are not even supposed to be cooked in a slow cooker. They have toxins that do not breakdown unless treated with higher heats like the ones from cooking on a stove.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:18PM

Thanks everyone...lot of good answers. I have been reading this board nonstop for about a week now and the posts I read are very inspiring.
gorillawar, that's exactly what I wanted to know. If they are still toxic when cooked for long periods of time I will have to settle for eating them cooked or not at all. I think they will probably be my one cooked food that I eat when I'm having a craving at least until the cravings fall away.
It's certainly better than the way I used to eat...my cravings were for bacon, pizza, soda, and candy! Learning about raw foods has completely changed my life.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:23PM

Now I am picturing someone pushing around a person in a wagon with kidney beans.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables