Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Superfoods: Do I Need To Supplement?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2008 06:54PM

Superfoods: Do I Need To Supplement?
Or Is Healthy Eating Enough?

Goji, maca, noni, bee pollen - health has replaced hair dye as the cool thing to "do", but a quick walk through the market can leave the well-intentioned health enthusiast feeling nutritionallyGoji, maca, noni, bee pollen - health has replaced hair dye as the cool thing to "do", but a quick walk through the market can leave the well-intentioned health enthusiast feeling nutritionally confused and downright inadequate. Where did all these superfoods come from? And what ever happened to regular food? It would be nice to know if all the energy and money we are spending on supplementation is actually buying us better health.

An estimated 44 million Americans are threatened by osteoporosis (National Osteoporosis Foundation) and a whopping 67% of American adults are overweight (Dept of Health and Human Services). Health and nutrition statistics like these are motivating intelligent consumers into action. US organic food sales continue to skyrocket 20% or more annually (USDA) with superfoods specifically taking top consumer priority; essential-fatty-acid sales increased 50.2% in 2002 (Natural Foods Merchandiser).

According to author Joanna Steven, "It all depends on where you are starting from. If you are drinking soda and eating fast food, you're likely deficient in one or more nutrients and yes, a daily tablespoon of hemp seed oil or a food-based multivitamin will have notable effects on your well-being. However, superfood supplementation is not necessary if you are already eating a healthy diet."

So what is this healthy diet that needs no supplementation? A diet rich in raw vegan foods: fresh, organic, uncooked fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. In her most recent publication, the Raw Nutritional Analysis eBook [kayosmarket.com], Joanna Steven goes where no nutritional scientist has gone. "There is plenty of nutritional research on the Standard American Diet, but when inquiring into alternative diets like vegetarian and vegan, I found much less information. When examining the raw vegan diet, it was even worse - I actually found misinformation based on idealism. I co-authored this eBook to find out the facts."

Tonya Kay is the television personality and film actress [tonyakay.com] who posed as test subject for Joanna's Raw Nutritional Analysis study. "'Where do you get your protein from?' I can't turn a corner without being asked that question," shares Tonya Kay. "And because I'm a recognizable raw vegan, it bothers me to not know." After volunteering a month of her diet for scrutiny, Tonya Kay now knows exactly where she gets her protein ... as well as her calcium, iron, and Vitamin A - and plenty of them. "Heck, my average fiber intake is 271% of the RDA without even trying! Since seeing these stats, I eat superfoods as a treat - because cacao delicacies and coconut spreads are fun and taste good. But as long as I am eating a high percentage of produce in it's natural state, I don't need superfoods for nutrition. Eating should be simple."

Eating should be simple. And often, the simpler the diet, the more healthful its benefits. But just because raw vegan, Tonya Kay, and thousands of others adopting one of the "7 Most Popular Diets In The World" (Medical News) have found nutrition naturally, doesn't mean you are off the hook. If cartoon characters decorate your food's packaging or if double cheese with pepperoni decorate your school's menu, maybe a shot of blue green algae is an excellent idea while you learn how to prepare kale salads.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2008 06:55PM by goldielocks.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables