Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

weight loss halted
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 15, 2008 09:56AM

hi
I am a vegan who probably ate too much grain etc. I heard about raw food and fairly swiftly moved onto a nearly 100% raw way of eating. sometimes adding some steamed veg or baked sweet potato.

After about 3 weeks I found I was really craving things like mushrooms on toast so I had some. I felt very guilty (this is typical guilt trip for me - I set up goals and then punish myself).

In the first 10 days I lost about half a stone - just under probably, then for the next 10 days not an ounce. How weird and I lost my incentive a bit as I would love to lose another stone. I don't eat many nuts or dried fruits so I don't think I was overeating on those. I do have an underactive thyroid and take 150mgs of levothyroxine a day. I think my metabolic rate is quite slow because of the thyroid problem - before it was diagnosed I was steadily putting on weight even though i was eating considerably less. I also have low ferritin levels (from when I was a meat eater) and they seem to slip again when I don't take iron supplements - my doctor reckons bad absorption - it will be interesting to see how this changes or not now I am so raw!!
I live with meat, sugar etc. eaters so there is constantly stuff in the house which I don't want but often have to prepare which is a bit of a bore.

any ideas on why the weight loss stopped so abruptly - I realise I haven't been doing this very long but just wonder if I am missing something.

also does macca or spirulina wake amy one up as since I started those i have been waking up completely at about 5 in the morning and unable to get back to sleep - maybe a coincidence?

looking forward to pearls of wisdom from you more experienced folk out there

cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: weight loss halted
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 15, 2008 03:31PM

your body takes the good fuel you are giving it and then seeks to bring itself into balance. it sets priorities, so perhaps at first it jettisoned some extra weight as part of this process, then its working on another project and weight loss seems to stall, but "progress" is still being made. i have lost about 55 lbs over the course of 8 months, but it has not been steady. i lost 35 right away, then plateaued for awhile, then lost a bit more, then gained a bit, then stalled, then lost... i have also been exercising and strength training, so i'm sure some of it is due to losing fat while gaining heavier muscle tissue.

my point is, throw out your scale and just eat raw and trust the process! and don't beat yourself up if you slip up, that's part of it. the only bite that matters is the next one, not the last one. i like to imagine myself 10 years raw, looking back at myself where i am right now, perhaps struggling a bit... i'm so glad i stuck with it! smiling smiley

maca is a stimulant and for every bit that it boosts you it will rob you somewhere else. sounds like its doing that to your sleep. if you are not using it to address a specific hormonal imbalance, i would consider leaving it off. i ditched maca after my nails started breaking off, and i find that i have FAR more energy now overall then i did when i was artificially boosting myself, either through caffeine, yerba mate, or maca. i guess if you want to keep going with the maca i have a bunch i could sell you...

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables