Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

fuel to support a half marathon run
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 16, 2008 09:33AM

hi,
I am currently training for a half marathon and I am wondering what you guys who are runners fuel yourselves with before a run like this.

I usually have carrot and apple juice and a banana and a few dried apricots but i would like some other ideas.

also what would be good to fuel up with while running. Traditionally I have used energy gels but they feel a bit artificial and 'wrong' now.

happy running
flipper

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fuel to support a half marathon run
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 16, 2008 11:02PM

Electrolytes carbs and water are what you need. Don't eat too much before the run and avoid proteins and fats the day before, morning of, and during the event. Eat a carb meal about 2 hours before the race. Something like 2-3 bananas maybe some dates, don't over do it. Make sure to drink plenty of water the day before and afew hours before the event. You don't want to drink a huge amount right before as you may have some sloshing issues or have to stop and urinate.

During the event, don't eat anything until you are 1 hour+ into it. You don't need sugars before then as most people can store enough glycogen for an hour to an hour and a half of fairly intense exercise. Some people can go much longer, some might require sugars around 45 mins into it. Test out your body on a long run and see how you feel, find out when your optimal eating time is and then do maybe 10-15 mins earlier than that during the race as you will likely be going harder and want to give your body a bit of time to digest the sugars before your glycogen runs out. It takes from about 5-20 mins to get to your bloodstream and muscles. The simpler carbs (glucose) absorb quicker than something with more fructose in it. Dates are a good choice. I also like orange slices. You can suck the juice out and avoid the fiber, allowing for optimal absorption. Bananas are okay but tend to be a bit too fibrous for some, and can cause gas or stomach issues while running.

Drink water in small sips every ten mins or whenever you need it. If you get thirsty then it's too late. You should be drinking water the entire time during a half marathon or longer event. Most people can get away without hydrating for the first 10-40 mins or so. Just make sure you are well hydrated in advance.

After the hour mark or so, injest some carbs. Sometimes liquid form is more ideal. Carry a small bottle or have someone hand it to you during the race. If going with a liquid I like to blend coconut water (great for electrolytes, dates, some pinaple, small amount of celery (good for sodium), and also a little bit of dulse flakes(if it's a warm day and you sweat alot). Take in a small amount every 15-25 mins after that. You shouldn't need to fuel up more than about 2-3 times during a half marathon. I can get by with once about an hour in then I only have half an hour left to go. Anything more slows me down and isn't need.

Make sure you have plenty of water and fruit for after the race. You may not feel like eating but you should get something in within an hour of finishing. Sooner is better. I like to do a quick 5 min cool down jog, then eat, then stretch. The quicker you get your glycogen stores back up, the quicker you will recover. About 2-3 hours after the race eat a good carb meal with some proteins and a small amount of fats if you like. Some say that the fats and proteins aren't really needed in large amounts (80-10-10 diet etc.) I personally stick to an 80-10-10 or 80-5-5 most of the time, but like to have a little extra protein after the really hard efforts like races or long training. If there is any time that your body needs a little extra protein then this would be it. Healthy fats are important for restoring the hormonal balance after intense exercise. Just don't over do it. no more than 10-15% of your calories should come from fat. Any more than that will slow down your recovery.

Last thing to remember is drink water frequently for the next day or so. You should be drinking alot of water anyways but during this time is especially important.

Good luck!

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: February 16, 2008 11:43PM

80-5-5.... thats cute!

Great advice on the fuel stuff. i ran a marathon on low carb. I did well but my vegan life style these days is much gentler to my body. I recommend staying away from all the Cliff Bars, Laerabars and electrolyte drinks (pure sugar). I used a sugar free sportsdrink sweetened with stevia back then, nowadays would probably just bring lemon juice and dates.

Enjoy your run! Going thru that finish line is an amazing experience!

Date: February 17, 2008 02:46PM

thank you both for your replys. Your detailed reply rawkev is very useful. Just incase you read this could I ask you a couple of questions?
Why no proteins and fats the day before the race?
Is a good carb meal with proteins and fats something like avocados?

I am hoping to get the 80/10/10 book but it is mid atlantic at the moment.

thanks again

Posted by: monson ()
Date: February 17, 2008 06:25PM

brendan brazier suggests making your own gel by blending some agave nectar with a few dates, some lemon/lime zest and some sea salt.

Date: February 17, 2008 08:36PM

wow, that's a great idea. umm how do you carry it??

Posted by: Snugglebunny ()
Date: February 17, 2008 09:57PM

Ah, I have the perfect suggestion for a half marathon like this! Well, not perfect for everyone, but it could work for you. ^_^

Chia Gel is great for a good run, and it's something easy to carry. I ran across this a few months ago when I was running quite a bit everyday.

www.rawreform.com/content/view/345/127

Unfortunately, if you can't find Chia seeds anywhere near you, this wouldn't help...but if you can, you really should give it a try. They're great. grinning smiley

Posted by: gimpyq ()
Date: February 18, 2008 01:12AM

I love your suggestion about home-made gel. What else could/should one consumg while running? The thought of carrying a bushel of oranges during my long runs in the woods sounds too difficult. But, gels and the packages of honeys no longer hold an appeal. Thanks! gimpy

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 18, 2008 02:44AM

flipperjan

as far as your question on how to carry the gel

u may want to invest in those tiny little zip lock bags ( the ones that you can put little beads in to make necklaces or earrings)

then just scoop the gel into the bag ( via a spoon)

and carry it in a little fanny pack pouch

when you are running, u can just take them out as needed and use

then u can recycle those bags by washing them and using again

have a blast in your running adventures smiling smiley

Posted by: monson ()
Date: February 18, 2008 03:06AM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> wow, that's a great idea. umm how do you carry
> it??

[www.all3sports.com]
[www.rei.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables