Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bryan - a question
Posted by: gimpyq ()
Date: February 18, 2008 02:55AM

Hi Bryan,

I am asking you specifically as I respect the format of your answers; quite well thought out and backed up as well. I want to make my transition to a raw food diet but it's so hard to let go of the stigma of having to have protein with each meal, or it will turn to fat. An old bodybuilding mind-set. How can I achieve health and happiness through fruit & greens without worrying about the glycemic index/ an if my body will store everything as excess fat? Thanks for your consideration, Love, gimpy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bryan - a question
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 18, 2008 03:29AM

Not Bryan, but I can assure you that you have no need to worry about GI when you are on a high fiber diet based on unprocessed raw f+v.

When I was doing high protein (rice protein powder) I had more muscle mass, more energy, and was spending 1.5 hours/day in the gym. I was also taking in about 600 more calories (fruit+protein shakes and juiced greens in the morning, about 60 extra g of protein per day over my normal intake, which is 35-40 g or so). But I also smelled more, smellier sweat especially.

On low protein I am about 5% thinner and my body odor is practically nonexistent. Breath is sweeter, etc. I am so lean that many people feel the need to make comments, pretend to be concerned, suggest I gain 5 lbs, you know the deal.

Low protein probably means longer life and reduced cancer risks. Google "methionine restriction". Methionine is the start codon for protein synthesis. More protein synthesis in a lifetime= more damaged proteins = more intracellular junk. This is very fundamental, exciting stuff. To me, at least.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2008 03:30AM by arugula.

Date: February 18, 2008 11:14AM

Wow, Arugula, great stuff. Thank you for sharing. I had forgotten about how the fiber will adjust the GI of foods. I am going to look up more info about the methionine restriction as you suggested. Thanks - gimpy

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2008 07:02PM

Hi,
Not Bryan either. Just wanted to let you know Arugula was consistent with everything in my raw diet book "The 80/10/10 Diet." Dr. Graham had pages with specific discussion to bodybuilders. You might want to check this out. He also has a book on nutrition and athletic performance, but haven't read that yet. Take care,

Date: February 19, 2008 11:14AM

Thank you, I have the 80-10-10 book. I'll re-read it.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:20PM

gimpyq,

We don't usually need more protein than is found in fruits in vegetables. But there will be times when your body is asking for more protein, and you can get it by eating some nuts and seeds.

If you are just eating fruits and greens, it is pretty hard to eat too many calories, as there is a lot of water and fiber in these foods, which contribute little to body fat.

If your body is asking for more protein or more fat, by all means do not force yourself to not eat these foods. But our need for protein and fat is much less that is typically eaten in the standard western diet (40%+ fat, 16% protein). If you are newly raw, your body may be accustomed to more protein and fat, and it may take some time for your body to adjust to lower levels. For example, when I lowered my fat intake, I found 20% fat to be easy, but it took 2 years before my fat intake fell below 10%.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:59PM

Bryan,

Are you by any chance including avocados under fruit? Probably not, but I do love the idea of eating as many avocados as desired without gaining weight smiling smiley

At any rate, they seem easier to digest than other fatty food--but like all fats, should be eaten in moderation.

Date: February 20, 2008 10:58AM

Bryan, Thank you. The reason I wish to include more protein is that when I eat exclusively f & v I tend to store fat more quickly around my waist. I am trying to find a balance which works for me that allows me to eat all the fruit I want without getting too pudgy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables