Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Date
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 19, 2008 07:19PM

What is a date? Fruit? Is it like a grape where you can just eat it one ofter another?
I like them alot they are so sweet and mmmmm delicious....

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Date
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 19, 2008 07:29PM

It's actually the fruit of a certain kind of palm tree. some times you can get "wet" dates at the store which, in my opinion, are so much better tasting than the dried ones. I think they're in season now.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 19, 2008 09:19PM

Right. Just as Greg said. Here's the Wiki on it:

[en.wikipedia.org]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:55PM

Someone told me they didnt know what a date was today.

I guess one day people will not know what raisins are too, or prunes, as more and more processed food becomes the snack for children.

Dates are so not what you find in supermarkets. I have to rder them fresh from Steve in Arizona. They are what avocados are to a beginning fruitarian, necessary. They provide that SWEET.

I used to dip dates in tahini for that sweet and fat.

Hope that helps

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 12:07AM

Didn't know what a date was! How sad.

My dad always ate them, he was raised in a desert city. I didn't discover how great they were until I was 20! But at least I knew what they were. Now when he wants to buy me something to fatten me up, I steer him (away from cheese and cookies) over to fresh dates. They are so good juicy, and I have found them in the northern US this way. They are refrigerated but juicer than most refrigerated ones.

Date: February 20, 2008 04:08AM

Dates are one of the most ancient fruits of all... I would never have thought people didn't know them!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 20, 2008 05:08PM

Thanks ...I am so excited about discovering new food!
-I Discovered pine nuts yesterday.....19.99 per/lb
crazy price but wow i really like them!
-I tried to eat a beat for the first time yesterday and i had no idea how to cut it. It looked a little dirty on the outside and when i finally got a piece off and tried it it tasted like soil....i threw it away sad smiley i was a little discouraged.
-I dont know anyone else who is raw, or who attempts to eat heatlthy, so i have kind of been alone in this whole raw journey. i am so happy that i have yall. i dont know what i would do,

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:01PM

Hi Stoner,

I wouldn't give up on beets. They can be delicious in juice and shredded into salad. Eating a whole chunk plain might be too much for some people.

If you want some "beet inspiration" read the first chapter of Tom Robins Jitterbug Perfume. He goes on a wonderfully poetic rant about beets and I've always had a profound love of them ever since reading it.

Peace

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:04PM

A date is a date. It's like asking what the number "one" is in mathematics,...

....it is meaningless unless you say "one orange" or "one apple"....but

...even then..one does not EVER, EVER ,EVER equal one, because "there is nothing the same under the sun"....

...and all configurations are unique.

BTW...I noticed how crushingly attractive your configuration is, Stoner. Well done.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 09:10PM

Beets are beautiful, I eat them for that alone! But maybe try something easy like beet juice first.

Date: February 20, 2008 09:56PM

Thanks i have another one at home i think i will give it a shot!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 21, 2008 12:05AM

don't give up on the beautiful beet! they are so great shredded on your salads, or blended into soups (beets, lemon juice, carrot, tomato, onion, celery, garlic and dill all blended up together, add olive oil to taste if you like...), or marinated with a bit of olive oil, salt, and fresh rosemary or dill.

OR very thin slices used as "chips" for veggie dips. i also am really liking raw sweet potato the same way...

Date: February 21, 2008 01:36AM

I love beets... had a beet and kale salad yesterday.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: claire ()
Date: February 21, 2008 07:32AM

I recently had beetroot and fennel "rice" - just whizzed it all up in the food processor. Was really good. don't even like beetroot cooked!

Claire

Posted by: birch ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:30PM

I love beets. They can be hard to grate if you don't have any kitchen gadgets (old-fashioned cheese graters are dangerous- you end up pressing too hard and scrapping your knukles, in my experience).

Here's something easy to do if all you have is a peeler.

wash the beet well. They are always dirty. Use a veggie scrubber if you have one. Cut off the top, and the tail if there is one.
Then peel the whole beet over your sink (you will get your hands stained all red).
Then rinse again to make sure any leftover dirt is gone, and
Peel the peeled beet to get nice thin slivers.
Taste it!

Tell us what you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 09:32PM by birch.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 01, 2008 11:39PM

You know... dates are really great.

I'd been craving them for about 2 weeks and on payday.... BONANZA!

I spent $32

I've been packaging them up in those annoying "snack" sized sandwich bags (the ones that really aren't big enough to hold anything substantial) and I found those are perfect for holding 10 dates. I call them my King Sized candy bars.

I eat them at work. Everyone calls them my "@#$%&."

It seems like I'm spending a lot on basically oversized raisins, but if you think about the health ramifications of the king sized candy bar I used to buy each day, and really the cost of 10 dates is like, 98 cents, even though they are almost $4/lb.... is actually less than the $1.39 candy bar.

Woot!

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:47PM

I like the taste of beets, but I always get a sore throat when I eat them! No idea why!

Posted by: riverhousebill ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:42AM

Beets are a great blood purifier. One beet a week is good because it pushes the Liver hard.

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: April 30, 2008 04:50AM

rawnoggin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like the taste of beets, but I always get a sore
> throat when I eat them! No idea why!

Oxalates.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: April 30, 2008 12:31PM

thanks, learning to fly :-) does this sort of reaction occur in a lot of people?

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 30, 2008 02:18PM

Okay, I know this is hugely verring off the date subject, but I had to throw it in here: if you want a REALLY intense cleanse, try juicing beets with dandelion greens. WOW. You almost need to drink it in shots like wheatgrass winking smiley.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: April 30, 2008 05:35PM

lol about the dates

very nice.. but hmm somehow dosent feel optimal. Keep em for special occasions!

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: April 30, 2008 10:01PM

Where do you folks order your dates from?

The only ones I can find here in Nebraska are the Dole Pitted dates and I'm guessing that's not exactly ideal.

Thanks,

Gary

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 30, 2008 10:09PM

Whole Foods has very nice organic sundried Mejdool dates, but... >$$$$$$$$$<

So, yes, they're a treat!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables