Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone had any good reactions to oil pulling?
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 06:21PM

just wondering about oil pulling... I read another thread and someone posted the site. I checked it out--- but was wondering if any of you have tried this and if anyone has had good experiences with it?

Thanks,
Joanna

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone had any good reactions to oil pulling?
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:41PM

I did oil pulling for a while. I have real bad teeth and sometimes they hurt. The oil pulling cleaned my gums and teeth and the pain was reduced considerably. My teeth were real white and my gums were pink and healthy looking. I am not sure if oil pulling did anything else for me. It is a harmeless thing to do. I used coconut oil as well as cold pressed sunflower and seasame seed oils. I kept a diary on hear if you want to read that. You can find more on cure zone about oil pulling. I think it is a usefull tool. I felt good when I was doing it.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:30PM

i am new to oil pulling, but i really like it. my mouth feels great, my teeth are definitely whiter. since i started doing it right when i started raw foods, its hard to say which protocol has brought what benefits, but i think its a super healthy practice.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:32PM

What is oil pulling? I'm very interested!

Date: February 26, 2008 10:02PM

Simple Living check out this site: [www.oilpulling.com]

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 26, 2008 10:16PM

TheCoconutChronicles Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Simple Living check out this site:
> [www.oilpulling.com]

Thank you. Right after I posted that, it dawned on me that I know how to use Google! I'm sorry. (Accessing this site at work, I don't always think thoroughly!)

Date: February 26, 2008 10:24PM

Nah.. don't sweat it... I'm a bit braindead myself right now. I've had that site bookmarked for a week because its something I am seriously considering giving a shot. I figure it certainly can't hurt to give it a go.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: claire ()
Date: February 27, 2008 11:03AM

I also have started oil pulling since seeing the link for that website on another thread. I think it's kind of fun, too early yet though to say whether it is having any effect.

Claire

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:11PM

I love it. If I wake up congested or achy, 20 minutes of oil pulling gets rid of it. I use cured sesame oil (sesame oil I've heated to the boiling point of water, once, and then cooled).

Date: February 27, 2008 02:16PM

Posted by: greenie (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 08:11AM

I love it. If I wake up congested or achy, 20 minutes of oil pulling gets rid of it. I use cured sesame oil (sesame oil I've heated to the boiling point of water, once, and then cooled).

Why do you boil it? I'm considering trying sesame oil because I figured it would taste the best. When you're done, do you rinse your mouth? Brush your teeth?

Date: February 27, 2008 02:34PM

Oil pulling is an Ayurvedic practice. Ayurveda recommends curing sesame and olive oils before using them. Boiling it makes it less sticky. The viscosity and heaviness is gone from the oil and it's able to penetrate the tissues better. You just have to do it once and then the oil is 'cured',

To cure the oil, place it in a pot and sprinkle 1-2 drops of water in it. Turn the heat on medium. Stand there watching the pot because it takes very little time for it to get to the boiling point, and if it boils too long, it can explode (it's very rare but it can happen). Anyhow, when it reaches the boiling point, it doesn't bubble like water but the drops of water in it will crackle and pop and you'll see little striations or currents in the oil move. Wait just 10 seconds or so once the water crackles and then turn off the heat and let it cool on the stove before removing the pot from the stove and
storing the oil.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:34PM

very interesting! i didn't know about that. i use cold pressed sesame oil given to me by my ayurvedic practitioner. i'll have to ask her about the curing... thanks greenie.

Date: February 27, 2008 04:18PM

Maui_butterfly,

(I love your name)

Curing the oil makes it much nicer for massage, too. It becomes silky and thinner. Uncured raw sesame oil makes a sticky gunky mess. The cured stuff is wonderful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables