Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Phases
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 29, 2008 07:44AM

Since going all raw I have experienced a number of different "phases". Now I am going through a banana phase and I keep getting the urge for bananas. I seem to want bananas early in my day and then again for the next couple of grazing meals that my daily eating is composed of. I am eating anywhere between 6 to 10 bananas a day now. Experience tells me that this will probably slow down as my body gets enough of the nutrients it is desiring in bananas.
Does anyone else go through "phases" ? What are some of the foods you have phased through or are phasing through now ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Phases
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:06AM

For me my phases happen to be whatever fruit is currently in season. So in the summer, its watermelon. In the fall its persimmons. In the winter its citrus. In the spring its imported mangos.

Now its navel oranges and tangerines. Murcotts at the moment, but earlier it was clementines.

Date: February 29, 2008 08:09AM

This banana "phase" just started a couple of days ago and whats different about this one is that I wake up with it and after a couple or 3 grazing meals its gone and I get urges for other foods. Its making the first part of my day seem like an extended breakfast. smiling smiley

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:15AM

i had the craziest red cabbage phase when i first went raw. i was eating a head a day. i couldn't get enough of the stuff. it was like being in love, seriously... i wanted to stare at it, hold it, fondle it... i would try to eat it with a fork or chopsticks but i had to toss them aside after a few bites and use my hands. i even made (and drank) a great big red cabbage smoothie (nothing else in it...) i poured it into a glass jar and just stared at it for like 8 minutes, the color was unbelievable. it tasted totally nasty but i guzzled it down and felt awesome.

nothing else has approached my love affair with red cabbage, and i still like it pretty well, but nothing like those first few months. i've flirted with other loves: persimmons, longans, spinach, cucumbers... but the red cabbage thing was DEEP.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:44AM

maui butterfly says:

<<i had the craziest red cabbage phase when i first went raw. i was eating a head a day. i couldn't get enough of the stuff. it was like being in love, seriously... i wanted to stare at it, hold it, fondle it... i would try to eat it with a fork or chopsticks but i had to toss them aside after a few bites and use my hands. i even made (and drank) a great big red cabbage smoothie (nothing else in it...) i poured it into a glass jar and just stared at it for like 8 minutes, the color was unbelievable. it tasted totally nasty but i guzzled it down and felt awesome.

nothing else has approached my love affair with red cabbage, and i still like it pretty well, but nothing like those first few months. i've flirted with other loves: persimmons, longans, spinach, cucumbers... but the red cabbage thing was DEEP.))

LOL smiling smiley WOW!! Your post just WOKE ME UP! I LOVED what u had to say smiling smiley

it made me laugh how uu didn't like the taste of the red cabbage smoothie but guzzled it down and it made u feel good and how u were mesmerized by the color etc.

sheesh... sounds like quite a torrid affair there (smile)

i've never been much of a red cabbage fanatic

but you are making me think TWICE.. no make that THREE times

about the lowly ground inhabitor: red cabbage

i may even just drink myself a pint of it

in honor of your deliriously great post !

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 29, 2008 02:45PM

I had a gala apple phase this fall, even when I was just 50% raw. The apples were local, fresh, amazing... <3 But once they were out of season, I haven't really eaten apples since. Sometimes I was eating 5-6/day.

Then it was salads with dark, leafy greens, 3-4 bowls/day. I usually cut green apple on the salad and made a dressing of lime juice and olive oil. This went on for 2-3 months, pre-raw into 100% raw.

Then, I lost my taste for greens completely. They made me want to puke. Now I can eat a salad here or there, but I don't want them all too much.

But that's okay! For the past month, or maybe more, I've been eating DURIAN and young coconuts every day. These two are probably the deepest love affairs I've had.

Although, last summer, when Ataulfo mangos were cheap, large, juicy, and in season, I was eating a few of those every day, for sure. I can't wait until that time comes again!

But the phases totally happen. Embrace them. These are the good cravings telling you what your body needs. I was very sick and on super-toxic antibiotics when I was doing the greens + lime juice, so I probably desperately needed to alkalize, get some basic minerals back into my system. I think the durians right now are helping me gain some weight.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 29, 2008 02:56PM

Wow, crazy stuff. I've had cravings like these, but during my cooked food days (which ended yesterday). Can you suddenly crave a food you may have never had before or never liked before?

I'm in for one wild ride, aren't I?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 29, 2008 02:56PM

apples, olives, avo, celery and cucumber, fresh corn mmmmmmmmm, peas in the pod.

funny, those things happen seasonally for me too.

now it's turnip and raddichio and rapini, all the bitters. i have no idea how to make those edible raw though.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 29, 2008 03:41PM

Tastes change radically if you give them a chance. people don't know this, so they think if they change their diet, they will never be happy again. no way is this true. I used to eat french fries for lunch and potato cheese soup for dinner. I hatehatehate these now. I tried a potato chip the other day out of curiosity and spit it right out, the memory was not like the reality. It was so gross, the fried starch and oiliness. I'm so glad I didn't swallow it, I can't imagine what it would do to my gut.

I am also much less picky about fruits and veggies and have come to love so many new ones.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 29, 2008 06:14PM

I went through a phase when I first went raw where I ate bananas for breakfast and oranges for lunch every day for almost a month and was perfectly happy. For right now I can't stand the thought of an orange and gave away all the ones that were on my tree because I didn't even want to smell them while I was in my backyard.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 29, 2008 06:40PM

Simple Living, I doubt you can suddenly crave something you've never had before. I think most cravings are either addictive reactions to unhealthy food, or your body demanding particular nutrients. Your body learns what nutrients can be found in which foods through experience, and then uses that knowledge to kick off a particular craving when a need arises. I do think you can suddenly crave something you've never liked before, but if you haven't ever tasted it... I doubt it.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 29, 2008 06:53PM

LOL Maui-butterfly, you described my torrid affair with figs for about 3 months in the begining of my transition. I still love figs but I am not "in love" with them now. There was definetly a deficiency going on. Now I mono eat because it tastes and feels good and not with the craziness I had with the figs.

Date: February 29, 2008 06:59PM

It will be interesting to see which foods I develop a taste for. Currently, I don't like dates, figs, raisins, onions or eggplant.

Date: February 29, 2008 09:09PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
---------------------------------------------
> I mono eat because it tastes and feels good

I consider eating momo meals one of the best ways to help the digestive system digest foods. I like to have a meal with nothing but bananas or something. It works for me. smiling smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:21PM

When I have access to ripe olives (that I can pick myself from under the tree) I can spend hours just eating olives.

When I first had mesquite powder (algarroba), I ate so much of it, I was just eating it by the spoonful. That lasted several weeks then I stopped wanting it so much. I still like it, but I no longer eat it by the spoonful.

I'm the same as the others with seasonal fruit. At the moment I'm eating so many oranges, they seem to be exactly what my body needs now.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:38PM

>>>When I have access to ripe olives (that I can pick myself from under the tree) I can spend hours just eating olives.<<<

YOU"RE LUCKY!!! That must be wonderful.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:53PM

pakd4fun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>>When I have access to ripe olives (that I can
> pick myself from under the tree) I can spend hours
> just eating olives.<<<
>
> YOU"RE LUCKY!!! That must be wonderful.

Was lucky. I live in London now, there's no olive trees here!.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 01, 2008 02:02PM

I went through a high protein phase and a low protein phase and I think I do better somewhere in the middle.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:54AM

PINEAPPLE. I'd been craving almost nothing but since Christmas. Today, finally, I ate some and wasn't feeling it so much anymore. I think I've started with cauliflower now, though...every day for the last week I've eaten half a head at a time "mashed" in the Vitamix with garlic, lemon, miso, flax oil, and hemp seed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2008 02:55AM by the enchantress.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:48AM

i go on and off avocado. It was peaches there for a while. It's nothing at the moment, i can't seem to get excited about eating anything! oh well. it will pass i hope.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 02, 2008 12:38PM

I have these same phases, I usually go week by week and get whatever I am drawn to. When I am eating, eating in mono makes sense

I had a banana phase, lasted about 3 weeks then I literally couldnt look at one for months!!

Orange phase lasted a good month, eating many kgs of oranges everyday. But I felt good, it was what my body needed. Came out the other side!!

Listen to your body

ps.. red cabbage..YUM!

Date: March 02, 2008 08:22PM

I'm hoping this is a phase. I just discovered Champaign Mangoes. Heavenly choruses played when I took my first bite.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables