Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Make-up?
Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: March 01, 2008 03:37AM

I was wondering (ladies)...What kind of make up do you use? I've been trying to read the back of the labels, but I never know what any of the ingredients are (not a good sign).

I recently read somewhere that the average person absorbs 200 chemicals through the skin per day (that stat is approximate, I don't remember the actual number)

I see advertisements for "mineral" make up and similar products. Are these really natural and safe?

Also, is it safe to breathe in the "minerals"? I tried using a mineral product (PUR) and I couldn't help but notice how much of it went floating into the air around my nose and mouth.

The websites that talk about these products are usually hosted by the people trying to sell them...So I really could use some unbiased info.

If there is a similar post, I apologize. I couldn't find one. Any help would be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Make-up?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:38AM

I quit makeup after a huge detox, when gobs of blue and purple eyeliner came out of my nose (AWESOME!). My favorite colors... That was what it took to change my perspective completely. I used to wear it everyday, too. I did the most unique Cleopatra-inspired eyes, I wore Urban Decay, I was hot stuff. Blah blah blah.

That was a year and a half ago. Since I've recently gone raw, I've still had some more remove itself from my sinuses.

Whether it's natural or not, it definitely gets IN THERE. I don't even really want organic minerals invading my sinuses through my tear ducts, or some other unseen route--but that's just me. =D

Plus, if you take care of your skin, you'll have much less to hide. >8)

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:38AM

The only make-up I wear is Dr. Hauschka's liquid eyelines - and yes, I've had it come out of my nose - but god, I love a kohl-rimmed eye.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 01, 2008 06:36AM

weird, this has never happened to me. guess i haven't ever worn enough of the stuff.

if i do it's just mascara and some darkening powder for my super light brows, mineral stuff seems interesting but i don't want to breathe it in.
i guess if you're going to be using it regularly something natural is worth checking into. ask the sales person at the makeup counter at the health food store, he or she will know all about the natural lines of makeup.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 01, 2008 11:56AM

I try not to wear it now unless I really do have to

I have given up foundation the past month, which was a big deal for me! normally I wouldnt even go 1 mile down the road without.

Babysteps for sure, but once you do its really freeing!! Let that raw glow shine smiling smiley

Posted by: sapphire33 ()
Date: March 01, 2008 12:43PM

The "chemical" makeups are terrible and I have been changing all of my products over to natural and organic. It is so scary to see what can be added into something that is advertised to do such wonderful things for your skin! I currently like Everyday Minerals (www.everdayminerals.com). I have had the best success with this makeup. It was strange switching to mineral makeup and took a bit to get used to, but, now that I am accustomed and I am eating more raw, my face and skin is glowing!! Also, cool website...www.cosmeticdatabase.com...talks about products and allows you to search products and compare how good/terrible they really are! Hope this helps smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 01, 2008 02:31PM

I like Zuzu Luxe products.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: March 01, 2008 03:12PM

[www.gabrielcosmeticsinc.com]

What's easy a lot of times is to go to an online vegan store and find the vegan products, either buy them at that store, or just note what you want/what they are, and buy them from an online natural drugstore (for sometimes a bit cheaper).

I did NOT like a few of the mineral makeups that I tried; they were caked on. If I wear foundation, I want it to be light, like the Zuzu one. Unfortunately, it doesn't have sunscreen, but I find it does help shield some of the sun when outside (and I also want to be penetrated for Vit D - and I mean penetrated by the sun folkls).

Date: March 01, 2008 04:03PM

I use Bare Minerals but I apply it with a very light hand, use the smaller brushes to minimize dust and don't wear it every day. I've had no problems with it so far.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: March 01, 2008 06:26PM

Thanks for all your responses. I think I still a ways to go before I give up my makeup completely, but at least I've gotten rid of my MAC cosmetics.

I was at the gym recently and I couldnt help but notice how the foundation seemed to change into some white-grayish stuff that would clump underneath my fingernails if I ran them over my skin. It really grossed me out.

I've since been trying to switch over to more natural products. I'm also one of those girls who would spend $100s on products that come from the spa-like settings (Obagi, ect.).

I'm also trying to give those up, but I have yet to find natural products that give me the same good results (even though I worry what price I'm paying for the good results...and I don't mean just money-wise).

Guess I still have a ways to go with this one...Thanks for your responses and I'll be sure to let you all know if I find any amazing natural products!

Date: March 01, 2008 07:16PM

I like Eco Bella for eyeshadow, NOT Zuzu Luxe, btw.

Good luck. grinning smiley

Date: March 01, 2008 07:29PM

oh leesah, give your skin a break and leave the foundation off while you're working out. that's when your pores are super open and drinking that stuff in. your skin wants to breathe when you sweat. just mho.

Posted by: RawLoveBaby ()
Date: March 01, 2008 07:39PM

I use Bare Minerals as well and do not find it cakey at all. A little goes a long way. I also find that if my skin is a little irritated, it calms it. Although, since going raw, my skin looks nicer and has more of a dewy glow, so when I've tried using the mineral foundation I find it takes the glow away and I don't like wearing it anymore. So, now I only use it at night time if I'm going for a full sort of make-up look.

Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: March 01, 2008 09:00PM

check out a website called skindeep. They have rated the toxicity of the chemicals in various cosmetics and other beauty products. You just type in the name of a product--it is a wealth of information.

[minou-minou.blogspot.com]
myspace.com/summer33ny

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 02, 2008 04:30AM

Thanks for the info! I'd still like to have something fun to wear when I take my one-man band out to the art shows.

Date: March 02, 2008 02:32PM

Hi Leesah,

The only make up I wear these days is Ecco Bella lippy.

Not all colours are vegan ...though quite a few are.

I usually just wear them when I go out.

They are the best I've found so far.

Good luck with your search .... please post if you find any interesting stuff.

I love a bit of Goddess Opulence every now and then!!

Love,

SL.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:39PM

janeiredale.com

mineral make up that is light....natural....i will use nothing else....it is awesome

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:42PM

I use foundation from [barefacedminerals.com]

I like Rhonda, she has great customer service.

This stuff is not going to penetrate your skin, the particles are too large. But inhaling the particles is not good for you. I use it more for sun protection than coverage of flaws, I actually think my skin looks better with nothing.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:58PM

I never use any makeup - the freedom is great

Date: March 04, 2008 03:13AM

Hey Minou33,

Thanks for posting on that website. It's very informative (and kinda scary)! I've already referred 3 of my friends to it.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:28AM

I remember when I used to hate my skin so much I wouldn't be caught dead without tons of makeup but of course this just made my skin worse! Let's see, foundation and cover up to cover the blemishes and even out the splotches, under eye concealer to hide the dark circles, blush to disguise the ghostly pale complexion, powder to dry out the oily shine, etc. Wearing makeup for fun is one thing but to wear it out of shame for how your bare face looks, I remember that pain so well. Thank God the skin heals when the body heals! Vanity can be a powerful motivator towards healing, it sure has been in my process!

Love,
Uma

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 03:29AM by uma.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 04, 2008 05:28AM

Uma you remind me of the most beautiful girl i know who i look up to. she is in my dance classes. this is a secret, but i always tell myself ------ would do this or would not do that because she is such a beautiful woman i hope to someday be like. i know i should be happy with myself, and i try to be myself, but there is nothing wrong with having a role model to look up to. she is a bit older then me...

aaaaanyway...

i wear mascara if anything at all. used to wear a ton of crap, now that's all i do mascara. i am vein. honestly i'd wear the other stuff if it really made me look better but i think my regular skin looks better now then the other stuff and um i'm really lazy too. sometimes i don't put on mascara out of laziness, but i honestly think it makes me look better.

i love to be able to touch my face and have it feel like skin instead of being a fraid of ruining my makeup or something lame like that.

on performances i wear makeup for stage. will wear bare minerals or the other kind that is just like it (forget what it is called bare essentials or something) and some heavy duty eye makeup... but i wash it immediately when i get home because i just can't stand the way it feels it's like i want to breathe now! =)

Date: March 04, 2008 02:19PM

i know, uma is gorgeous, isn't she? i always think so too, even in the ghostly glow of that computer screen winking smiley

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:29PM

I still wear my same makeup honestly. I really never wore a lot of makeup in the first place though. I have noticed that my skin is much better so I don't really need any makeup on my face. There used to be days where I had to cover my face in foundation because my skin was so bad and that just flat out doesn't happen anymore. I put on some lotion to moisturize and a little light powder, my mascara and that's it really. There are rare occasions where I were eyeliner and eyeshadow. I suppose when I run out of the stuff I have I will replace it with more natural makeup, but I'm really cheap and just don't want to spend money, lol.
One thing my husband and I did change was our shampoo and conditioner, soap, body wash, face wash, stuff like that. Mostly because it ran out a lot faster than my makeup does. My husband has always had really thin hair, not balding, just very thin hair and since he started using Avalon Organics shampoo his hair has literally grown in thicker.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 04, 2008 07:31PM

Mac maekup or Urban Decay

Date: March 04, 2008 08:26PM

Wow Brenna,

Your husband's hair is thicker now? That's awesome. I should get my man on that immediately! LOL.

This may sound odd, but I think the raw diet has affected my hair growth. I seem to have more "stray" hairs in places that I prefer to not have hair! BUT, if my hair is growing thicker and healthier, I'll deal with the tweezing.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:34PM

Yeha my mom has always had super thin hair too and when I told her about my husbands hair she ran out and got the exact same shampoo he is using and has had the same results. She informed me the other day that this makes me officially her favorite kid now, lol. I mean it's not exactly a scientific study and I have no idea how it would work for someone who is actually balding.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:25PM

Uma IS gorgeous, but i was not talking anything about the way she looks on the outside.. =)

Posted by: Marley_Star ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:49PM

I don't wear foundation anymore; my skin breakouts were related to what I was eating.

I am switching all makeup I have to the Beauty Without Cruelty brand, and I have heard Eco Bella is good so I am going to try it as well.

I use the Avalon Organics brand of skin care, and it really is fantastic!

Posted by: uma ()
Date: March 05, 2008 06:49AM

Aww shucks ilovejen and coco, you're making me blush! really though those are such sweet words. ilovejen I can really relate to appreciating having inspiring women to look up to. I am still learning to trust it's OK to just be myself and not try to be someone else for somebody else. Beauty's related to that, the more we love ourselves on the inside just for ourselves, the more the beauty manifests outwardly. I'm so grateful it's not anymore about getting my makeup right! grinning smiley (although don't catch me on a bad hair day....)

Love,
Uma

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables