Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sodium
Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:35PM

This doesn't seem to be a problem much, but does anyone have a hard time getting enough sodium?

I noticed on fitday that their nutrient charts don't show an RDA for sodium, but I'm aware that it's suppose to be somewhere around 2500 mg. Looking up deficiency issues revealed some of what I might be feeling right now, including muscle twitching, lack of concentration, and lack of appetite.

What do raw food gurus recommend for sodium?

david

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sodium
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:52PM

celery juice! yum.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:58PM

No, 2500 mg is a arbitrarily high limit the government set--try and get no more than that amount, is what they say. Don't worry about it, foods have naturally occurring sodium. Too much is poison.

I don't know what your deficiency is, by why not go to a doctor and ask for some blood tests if you are concerned? The problem with these sorts of symptoms is that they are symptoms for multiples issues and don't just point to one cause.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:59PM

i just started tracking my intake on nutritiondata.com, and i was meeting or exceeding sodium RDA with with i thought was moderate nama shoyu use. for the past two days i have eliminated NS,and i am getting about half the RDA just eating "regular" fruits and vegetables.

spinach, beets, celery, dandeloion greens, and carrots all have about the same amount of sodium by weight. (~79 mg). in the u.s., the upper limit for daily sodium intake is 2400 mg. it should be noted that in europe the upper limit is lower, 1600 mg.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 01, 2008 07:30PM

IMO there is a difference between the salt in plants and salt that is mined from the ground or dried from the sea.
Opinions anyone ?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 01, 2008 07:35PM

sure, just like the sugar in fruit. the actual sodium is the same element but it comes packaged with other nutrients that change how it affects the body.

Date: March 01, 2008 08:17PM

Yes, "pre-packaged" salt (like in celery and tomatoes and other whole foods) is there is perfect amounts, with the right ratios we need or everything else to keep things in balance--after all, sodium is an essential nutrient. This is important. Extra salt disturbs that balance and has been proven to contribute to a myriad of health problems--this link cites issues like stroke, heart attack, reduced bone mass, etc. s[www.diseaseproof.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 01, 2008 08:23PM

Dulse - I love the stuff.

I hear you about sodium and getting how much your body needs (I don't think an RDA could possibly be accurate on sodium, just don't use more than a certain amount). I have high(er) sodium needs than an average person.

But still, maybe a blood test could confirm it or just listen to your body.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: March 01, 2008 11:35PM

Hey, thanks for the info crew. I juiced some celery earlier and it tasted extremely good (something I had never done before).

I used the pulped in a guacomole. I don't want to jump to conclusion this early, but it definitely seems like I feel better.

david

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:22AM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No, 2500 mg is a arbitrarily high limit the
> government set--try and get no more than that
> amount, is what they say. Don't worry about it,
> foods have naturally occurring sodium. Too much is
> poison.
>

I agree with this. They set this limit based on what
they feel is a tolerable ballpark for a typical SAD
intake, but there isn't any requirement for "extra"
beyond what is naturally present in whole foods. It
isn't good to overdo it on any electrolyte but drinking
lots of fluid helps. It happens naturally: if we eat
something too salty we get thirsty.

[www.merck.com]

Date: March 02, 2008 02:45AM

arugula, I wanted to send a pm thanking you for answering my question about vaccines, but your box was full. I appreciate the (real not pseudo) scientific knowledge. It's not the only kind of knowledge I value, but it's a nice adjunct to our own experiences smiling smiley

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:02AM

Thanks, rost!

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:15PM

I started eating cream of celery soup from a Boutenkos recipe a few months ago. It is so good. I want to eat it even after I am full. It really fills me up too. I never have have been a fan of celery but lately I seem to be able to taste it like never before and I crave it.

Date: March 05, 2008 09:40PM

What do y'all use the pulp of the celery for.

I've been throwing it in with guacamole and it seems ok.

david

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables