Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What's the best kind of mortar and pestle?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2006 02:46AM

For grinding flaxseeds, making pesto, stuff like that.

Thanks,
Narz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What's the best kind of mortar and pestle?
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: May 28, 2006 02:58AM

A coffee grinder! I found grinding flax seeds (even salt) with a pestle'n'mortar was a major undertaking.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: May 28, 2006 06:01AM

I agree a coffee grinder is the best for flaxseed and some spices, but if you are mixing a variety of things together hot peppers,garlic a big wooden mortle and pestle is great that is the main thing my wife uses to make my papaya somtams and many other simple raw food dishes.

Flaxseed is a little harder then most seeds like coriander or sesame,cumin ect so the coffee grinder is the best.

You could try the pestle and mortar with flaxseed I have and it makes a mess and is time consuming but possible.

Cherimoya

Posted by: brome ()
Date: May 28, 2006 06:13AM

I found a real good mortar (5" inside diameter) and pestle made from a very hard diorite, I believe, at a southeast Asian food store for only $22, a deal. The harder the stone, the better.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: May 28, 2006 06:55AM

My wife just told me the stone pestle is the best and that is with she uses even with a wooden mortar but you may have a hard time finding that combination it in the states.

So I think what Brome said is about the harder the better is good especially for flaxseeds.

The coffee grinders are about the same price and easier to find but check out any Asian store and compare for yourself the bigger the better.

Last year when I was in Florida at a big fleamarket I saw a stone one nice size for 10$ I am sorry I didn't buy.
Good Luck on your hunt

Cherimoya

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 28, 2006 04:22PM

For soft seeds, such as sesame, a ridged, traditional Japanese ceramic bowl called a suribachi with a wooden pestle is the cat's meow. I am not 100% raw, so I love to make a trad. garnish called Gomashio in such a device, where you crush the roasted seeds together with some good quality true sea salt. Yum. It is supposed to be a garnish, but I can't stop eating once I start.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables