Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: As Time Goes By
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:53PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> running it at 5AM when you KNOW it's going to wake
> up everyone around you is pretty inconsiderate.
> sorry. disturbing all those people so i can have a
> smoothie? i could put my blender on a pillow as
> suggested above or i could just take some whole
> fruit.
>
> whatever, to each their own. if it's not important
> to you, it's not. just don't expect any
> consideration from your neighbours in return!
>
> for me, living in harmony with the people who live
> close to me is just as important as anything else.
> i don't need the aggravation of a pissy neighbour.
> not much is worth that.

Well, my neighbor comes in at 1:00 a.m. sometimes singing and carrying on, but I don't care - I'm glad she's happy. If you can't laugh at a drunk neighbor and you get all "pissy," then I feel sorry for you (you general, not you specifically). Same as when I come in with my equipment (usually in afternoon) - I am carrying something huge when compared to my size and I can't always catch the front door before it hits the wall. She (the second-floor neighbor) recognizes this and at first it startled her but now she knows it's me based on my noises. If anyone gets any noise here, it's me, since I'm on the first floor and there's no insulation and I hear everyone going up. And I mean you can hear actual conversations. You can't hear much between floors (which is how they would hear me). I have never ran my blender at 5 a.m., but if I wanted to eat at that time and use it, I would. I doubt they would hear me.

This doesn't sound like anyone being inconsiderate EXCEPT THE PEOPLE WHO CHOOSE TO RENT A POORLY SOUND-INSULATED BUILDING. If you want to talk about a jerk, how about those people who make walls so thin that you can hear a blender? Geez, I hate to imagine trying to be quiet having sex so the neighbors don't hear. What kind of life is that? There should be codes about thse things, a certain thickness of wall or something1 smiling smiley But as I said, I like my neighbors and enjoy hearing them have a good time and live their lives fully, inside of tip-toeing around.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:23PM

I lived in an apartment many years ago and I don't remember ever hearing "regular living" noises. I think in theory I would run my blender when I want, but when it came down to actually breaking a deafening silence with my k-tek early in the AM I don't know it I would have the gonads to do it. I think it is sad people have to live like that. I don't ever want to leave this seclusion I have now. I was really going crazy in the city, so close to others. Even when we lived in suburbia I couldn't stand looking out the window at someone else's house. It sucks that being considerate means denying yourself.

I think the reason you got sick from the omelet had more to do with the eggs and cheese than it did with being cooked. I still eat cooked but my choices are mild ones. We always say our "junk" food is healthier than most SAD eaters ever eat. The kids get so excited over cooked tomato soup now.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 04, 2008 04:12PM

I live in downtown Minneapolis in an apartment building that was built in 1950. There are a lot of older buildings here. This one is actually a nice one. The walls, floors and ceilings are all concrete. At 5am when all is quiet, sound carries farther. I've never lived in an apartment complex anywhere that was soundproof. Some are quieter than others but, in certain conditions, you can always hear someone else. The quieter it is, the more you can hear. It's not like we're walking on eggshells around each other. It's just that we respect the building's quiet hours stated in the lease. The city has quiet hours, too.

A blender is a very loud object to run at that hour. The people on each side, above and below me would hear it. It's a matter of courtesy. I don't want to disturb the sleep of four of my neighbors. In return they don't disturb me when I go to bed before they do. I don't have a problem with that. Those are the conditions I live in so I deal with them. It's not worth disturbing my neighbors for a smoothie, and, whole fruit isn't a harship! LOL

As for the omlet, I ate eggs almost daily for years without a problem. It usually takes people weeks or, for some, months, to break a habit. When it comes to eating healthier, my body craves it so much that it adjusts to it in two or three days. The same thing happened when I stopped eating red meat years ago. I went a week without it and BAM, I couldn't eat it anymore. It's odd, but it's a good odd.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2008 04:34PM

Simple Living Wrote:
>
> As for the omlet, I ate eggs almost daily for
> years without a problem. It usually takes people
> weeks or, for some, months, to break a habit.
> When it comes to eating healthier, my body craves
> it so much that it adjusts to it in two or three
> days. The same thing happened when I stopped
> eating red meat years ago. I went a week without
> it and BAM, I couldn't eat it anymore. It's odd,
> but it's a good odd.

Yeah, it's great - if no other reason than for the animals involved. grinning smiley

I was thinking about the noise thing on my walk and I hope others understand my reasoning (I have been "on my own" since 18 and am now 28, so I have 10 years experience).

I think certain things are generally acceptable - daily living, including food preparation, showering, music, TV (I don't do this but a lot of people do), conversations on phone or having friends over.

Certain things are generally NOT acceptable - loud arguing, blasting music and TV, banging pots and pans, hanging pictures at 4 a.m., screaming, etc.

Blending and/or otherwise preparing food seems acceptable, and the noise only lasts a few seconds, anyway. I think when someone is a good sleeper, it takes at least 1 min. of noise to awaken them such that they can't easily fall back asleep or EVEN REALIZE that something "woke them up."

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 04, 2008 07:41PM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When it comes to eating healthier, my body craves
> it so much that it adjusts to it in two or three
> days.

I was the same way when I went all raw. I felt like a fish that found water. With the help of books and forums I found an approach to the raw food lifestyle that works for me and that I enjoy doing and I'm never going back to SAD. I eat a balanced diet of fresh raw vegan foods. The longer I follow the raw food path the better I feel and the more raw resonates with me. I wish everyone success in their raw food journey. smiling smiley

Date: March 04, 2008 09:12PM

I was the same way when I went all raw. I felt like a fish that found water. With the help of books and forums I found an approach to the raw food lifestyle that works for me and that I enjoy doing and I'm never going back to SAD. I eat a balanced diet of fresh raw vegan foods. The longer I follow the raw food path the better I feel and the more raw resonates with me. I wish everyone success in their raw food journey. smiling smiley

EZ rider, I followed your advice on another thread and made a blended salad. Great fluffy muffins was that good! I've never done drugs but I can't imagine them making me feel any greater than that salad did! The mixed greens and spinach took a bit of doing to blend, but once they did, I just added the other ingredients and went to town!

Date: March 06, 2008 08:22AM

I agree with coco... 5am is definitely early and blenders (particularly the high powered kind) can be very noisy. Our neighbors below us have a little daughter so we always try to be conscious of the noise we are making and when we are making it. Kids need their sleep and often times so do their exhausted parents.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: March 06, 2008 03:30PM

We'll have to see how it goes in my new apartment in May. VERY excited to move in!

$600 month for all of the following:

- 1 block from Whole Paycheck, er, I mean Whole Foods.
- 1 1/2 blocks from a lake with great walking paths around it.
- 1 bedroom with a guest room.
- Fully furnished with new items.
- Kitchen fully stocked, including a juicer!
- 52" plasma tv on the wall.
- Cable/Satellite TV
- Internet
- Washer and Dryer in unit.
- Decked out bathroom with electric towel warmers and a bidet.
- No security deposit.
- No pet deposit.
- No application fee.
- Fitness Center, sauna, jacuzzi, swimming pool.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:53PM

Damn where do you live, I need to live there. I never paid $600 a month for anything more than a really crappy apartment in the Phoenix area.

Date: March 06, 2008 05:41PM

Believe me, this isn't the norm! It's a significant treasure, actually! I'm in Minneapolis. An apartment like this, in this area, would normally go for about $1,100 - $1,200 per month.

It's a condominium complex and the owners are missionaries in Africa. They're more interested in finding someone who will take care of their property. The last tenant practically destroyed everything. I couldn't believe it. I assured them that if they popped-in, unexpectedly, that they'd find their home in perfect condition anytime. (My momma raised me right.)

I'm so excited, I could just quack! I'm currently in a 375 sq ft studio apartment and paying $625/month. That's going up to $645! I have the Fisher Price kitchen complete with the E-Z Bake Oven and enough counterspace to put a dish drainer on. Other than lack of counter space, the place works for me because I don't own much. I like it that way. Right now, I don't own/want a television, stereo, DVD player, microwave, dishwasher, etc., I wouldn't even own a computer if I weren't a writer. (The big plasma tv and the cable/satellite channels are wasted on me because I won't ever turn it on.)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables