Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Very frustrated - please help
Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 07:48PM

Hi all,

I amvery frustrated... I have been high raw (about 80% or more) for about 1 year now. I have had so many complaints before going raw (like sinus headache, acidity) and was taking prescription medications. After going raw, I was able to quit all meds and I don't have any acidity / sinus problems.

But...

I have several detoxifications during the time (aout 1 year). I get one major "cold" almost every month and the stuff that comes out is almost unbelievable...

I get a sore throat, severe headache, and the congestion starts and then it comes out. For 1 week I suffer and then I get better. I ofcourse either fast or drink just juices when I get these "colds".

But why am I getting one every month? what am I doing wrong? When will I feel better?

Has any one any experience with it? Can you please tell me?

I am very frustrated now and I have bad sore throat now and have a headache, so I know that I am getting a cold...

what am I supposed to do?

Please help...

Thanks and Regards
A Iyer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Very frustrated - please help
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 03, 2008 07:57PM

I guess an obvious question that will come up is . . . what is the 20% cooked consist of and how did you arrive at those percentages. The other question would be amount of rest, activity, stress in your life, etc. to start. Suggestions would be just guess work I think without knowing more.

Date: March 03, 2008 08:12PM

Thanks for replying..

I eat a vegan (cooked) meal per day - it is a very small meal consisting of cooked vegetables, lentils and some rice or some soup. Eerything else I eat is just fruit (uncooked ofcourse).

I am not 100% raw yet because I have three kids and for sme reason I am unable to do 100% raw.. I am trying though. I do get enough rest and sleep also.

In the meanwhile, this detox (namely getting so many colds) is really botherng me.

Why so many colds? Is that normal? I went to my doctor (just to be sure) and she said it is sinus infection and prescribed antibiotics. But I didn't take it. I got better in three days on Water fast.

But now I get sore throat and severe headache again..

I am so tired and confused. what am I to do?

Please help me, please share your expeeinces with me ...

Thanks

Regards
Anu

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:41PM

Well, maybe you are just detoxing still. Seeing as you were on all those meds before, you might still be working that out.

I also wonder if it's possible that you have a grain allergy or sensitivity?

Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:54PM

Yes,I believe that you might have an allergy,like Rost0037 said.My husband can't eat too much nuts because he gets a huge migrane headache,and it is an allergic reaction to nuts. Pay attention to what are you eating and see what is the "evry day" food that is the one that is causing the allergy.

Enemas are very good for detox,colonics too.I do enemas evry time and it works a lot for me.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:57PM

I am about 90% raw ( I guess). When I eat cooked I get a lot of mucus. Do you think you're building up mucus from something you are eating that is cooked? Why don't you try 100% for a month and then reintroduce the cooked foods one at a time?

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 03, 2008 09:01PM

I'm guessing still, but with 3 kids and even your writing style leads me to believe you are put to the test everyday :O) I guess, it sounds like you get run down and maybe more or "better" rest(if possible with the kids) would be something to consider.

Mixing some cooked food can give me bad sinus troubles in my past, especially rice or yams for example. Maybe consider what you are eating there??

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 03, 2008 09:15PM

A Iyer:

-Your detox experiences sound very normal. You should experience a lessening of frequency and intensity as time goes on. If you are not at YOUR raw food goals...I would urge you to continue to pursue them. If you ARE at your raw food goals, then you may want to try to simplify your diet, or eliminate foods that might be bringing you down. Just some speculations & opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 03, 2008 09:18PM

i always take ACV at the first sign of a cold, and i rarely if ever go down. my grandmother always used to make us gargle with ACV when we were kids with sniffles or sore throats -- she didn't believe in antibiotics, tylenol or over the counter/prescription drugs -- and she was the chief ER nurse at Denver General Hospital for 35 years!

check out [www.earthclinic.com]

i think if you check in with yourself, you will feel in your body if this is detox or if it is something else. trust your intuition. do you feel MUCH better after you get better, like you have released something, or are you just going from sick to functioning like a see-saw?

if you are concerned that it is something beyond detox, any interest in finding an alternative health practitioner who might be able to guide you in a way that is more in line with your goals and beliefs than an allopathic doctor dispensing antibiotics? chronic illness is not the forte of the allopathic doctor imo.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:53PM

Gargling 2x a day with very warm salt water, every single day without fail, has changed my life.

I used to get every cold and flu that was going around. I used to have different allergies for every season.

My dentist recommended I use Listerine or a Listerine-like product. I didn't want to swish that stuff in my mouth. It's got too many artificial dyes and chemicals.

Instead of putting salt in my foods, I put a tablespoon of it in a large cup of very warm water and gargle with it for 1 minute, first thing in the morning and last thing at night.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Date: March 04, 2008 04:29PM

Hi all,

Thanks so much... I feel even more sick today. The kids are at school and I just can't get up. My head is pounding and I can't even swallow saliva, throat hurts that bad. I just feel depressed today. Why did I start this whole raw food thing.. I am not even able to keep this up. The doctor keeps telling me there's not one thing wrong with me. Just a sinus infection that I keep getting is what she says.

I have learned and read to not suppress colds and "infections" using antibiotics. So now what? I should just suffer?

Sorry I just blah..blah..blah. Needed to vent.

Thanks
A Iyer

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:00PM

I'm sorry you are suffering so much. Maybe get yourself some nice yummy herbal tea--not technically raw, but may help loosen things up a little. I also like using a Neti pot to clean things out when the sinuses are giving me a rough time. It should help speed up the cleaning your body is doing (no matter what the root cause is).

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 04, 2008 10:15PM

anuiyer7,

Bless your heart. I'm doing to sound exactly like David for a moment here. YOU are in control of your own raw food and health goals. If your detox process is going too quickly and making life unbearable for you, ease up a bit. There's no rush. No hurry. And no raw food police.

You can do this gradually by slowly increasing the amount of raw foods you eat. Start with just one meal a day and see how that goes. Then throw in some raw snacks and a smoothie or two. When you're comfortable with the way it's going, eat two raw meals a day, etc.,

There's no need to suffer when gradual changes will produce the same results. It may take more time, but time is going to pass anyway.

I hope you feel better soon.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 05, 2008 01:30AM

that was a great DZM impersonation SL!

(do you hear his voice in your head sometimes like i do?) smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 05, 2008 01:34AM

Ha! ha! Wait a minute...I thought it was YOU guys in MY head! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables