Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help, this is hard
Posted by: blissmummy ()
Date: May 28, 2006 03:53PM

My baby says I need to go all raw, (or else he doesn't feel well) well maybe not necessarily ALL raw, but very small exceptions. I've been pretty raw the last couple months but when tried to go ALL raw wound up bingeing in the other direction twice, after a week raw each time. It's so scary when I do that, he cries and cries for his belly ache or something. Why is it so hard? What can I do so that I don't binge OR stay too much cooked? I've tried many approaches, I guess all I can do is keep at it, but I just so want to get it right, I never want to hear him cry again from something I ate.

My latest help is an analogy, that going raw is like coming in from ice skating with frozen numb feet. It's annoying as heck to go through the "pins and needles" of your feet regaining feeling, but you just have to go through it and it'll be harder the longer you wait.

me-ow
Adrienne

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help, this is hard
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 28, 2006 04:12PM

hey adrienne

i didn't know that babies could talk
but that is cool that yours does ( smile)

yeah, it can be kind hard at first
one thing probably won't work
but using all the tools at yoru disposal and switching them around when necessary
is a good thing to do

addressing the physical, emotional, spiritual levels all the time every day every moment is a good way to go

you gotta plan it out sometimes
and monitor your progress

then when you get the hang of it
you can ease on the reins
and just enjoy

but if you have to go through the pins and needles
just listen to some good music while you're at it

Date: May 28, 2006 06:38PM

...Yeah, thanks for the reminder to rely on and be good to myself...

:~) (It's just so hard, so many things to deal with, so much conflict...)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 28, 2006 08:55PM

My baby screamed and cried every time I ate anything that is not allowed on a yeast-free diet.

Try that! No: corn, tamari or nama shoyu, yeast, sugar, all the list of things people on yeast-free diet cannot eat.

At the time (many years ago) I used the book called "The Yeast Connection" and did not eat whatever foods that book said not to eat.

Once a month I would eat something on the "no-no" list just to see if I could get away with it, and every time he would scream and cry the next time he drank mother's milk. Finally when he was 6 or 7 months old it no longer made him cry and I started eating whatever I wanted to eat again.

It did not matter whether what I ate was raw or not. It was all about yeast and (and possibly mycotoxins)!!

Date: May 28, 2006 09:04PM

Thanks Michele,

yeah, my goal today is to avoid sugar and weird stuff (I live with my parents who have a lot of junk foods around)

Dovelin's 7 months old now, but I think it would bother anyone (myself included) to go from all raw vegan to a bunch of cooked stuff including some sugar and artificial stuff...

I've tried in the past (before babe) to go the moderation route but it doesn't seem to help, it's still easier/better 100% raw, but there are still crashes...I guess I just need to find a solid alternative to food when I get stressed out.

I just thought in the shower hey maybe I'll make myself a friendship bracelet or something, something simple that touches the heart as opposed to the mind, for those troubling times...now somehow make the time to do something like that...or maybe it's the thought that counts...

thank you

Adrienne

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: May 28, 2006 09:24PM

hey Adrienne
are you making sure you're eating enough? like, enough fats etc? plenty of avos, sprouted nuts/seeds, big green smoothies, lots of fresh fruit? bingeing can sometimes simply be your body saying 'give me food!'
good luck x

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 28, 2006 10:21PM

hey adrienne

sent u a private message
take care

Posted by: purenkind ()
Date: May 28, 2006 11:15PM

one thing i've discovered is that if i have some good raw dehydrated foods around like flax crackers, cookies, veggie nut burgers, etc., then when i get those feelings of wanting something more substantial i have something healthful to grab. mostly i just eat lots of fruit and veggies and some nuts, but there are those times when i'm glad i have some yummy raw cookies around. it's comforting, and helps me stay raw.

peace

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: May 28, 2006 11:52PM

Finding healthier substitutes for meals you already like seems pretty useful. You can do it! Take care.

Posted by: squidmafia ()
Date: May 29, 2006 12:31AM

I have been strugging with binging on, well, anything I can get my hands on (usually raw, but I've slipped with really awfull consequences a couple of times here and there) since I've started to go raw. I'm also going for 100%, or at least as high up there as humanly possible (it isn't always easy, we all know that for sure!).

I've found that stopping and really imagining eating a certain food in front of me, the taste, the texture, the feeling of it all chewed up, and how it would feel afterward going down to help in many situations when I'm grabbing for anything in the cupboard (especially dried fruits and nuts!). I've been able to say, "hey, you know what? that wouldn't really make me feel any better, it's a distraction..." on many occasions now. Also, the bracelet idea sounds good! Have some kind of token or reminder that you don't have to be attached to food to comfort you.

Having healthy "substantial" foods around is a great help, too. Raw cookies, crackers, and nut butters with some veggies are a great filler and you don't have to feel guilty about them! Dried fruits too, unless you're a sugar fiend (like me, eeek!)!

Good luck on your journey! It's an amazing one, but tough, but then again, those are the best kinds in the end! It's awesome that you're doing this for your baby, too. Bravo!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2006 12:32AM by squidmafia.

Date: May 29, 2006 06:53PM

Wow, thanks everyone.

I was happy to discover in that the local health food store now has raw crackers and cookies for the first time ever (albeit very expensive), so that's a plus...

The stress of being a new (and single) mom unexpectedly living with parents in remote area has a lot to do with it, though circumstances don't really matter in a way...

Trouble started rumbling when I overate two days in a row--on dates!

I went and had fun at a "clothing swap" party last night with babe and found out an old friend of mine will be in town visiting soon and would like to see me--woohoo! Happy-making...and a bag full of "new" clothes to go through when I have the chance help feeling stressed and drained with baby...who is the bestest being ever to grace my life, by the way...

It really makes me feel great to have this support, thanks everyone, and peace on your journeys as well! We're kinda all in this together, as well, dontcha think?

love,
Adrienne mama

Date: May 29, 2006 08:44PM

And reach out and hug somebody!!!

Date: May 29, 2006 11:58PM

I hug my baby all the time...

my mum sometimes (she's usually very prickly)

I hardly see anyone else!!!!

I'm trying to decide whether to move into the (small) city, trade off the great outdoors for more people connection...tip the balance a bit...

I'll hug you, there you go!! All of youuuu, big squishhhhh!!!

hug mama

Date: May 30, 2006 06:33AM

*squish*
yay

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: May 30, 2006 07:29AM

To Blissmummy,

Just in case you do not know about this, I thought you might be interested in what the Vegan Society has to say about nursing mothers and vitamin B12. The Vegan Society was established in 1944 - over 60 years experience with the Vegan diet.

They say it is extremely important that Vegan nursing mothers make sure they are getting adequate B12, either by eating foods known to be enriched with B12 or by regularly taking a B12 supplement.

B12 deficiency is usually reversible, but not so often reversible for nursing infants who can become deficient if their mothers are vegan and not supplementing. The deficiency will show up in the infant before it shows up in an adult, and the damage to an infant can be permanent and can cause retarded development.

According to the Vegan Society there is no known vegan food that supplies an adequate level of B12. Apparently many people have searched and experimented over the years with no success. They say that for people who believe they can make it without supplementing B12, it is acceptable for them to experiment if they are aware, because damage can usually be reversed; but if you are breastfeeding an infant, you MUST take a supplement because of the risk of the infant suffering permanent damage.

For more information, check their website at www.vegansociety.com. The B12 link is on the right hand side of their home page.

Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out, but I wasn't sure if you knew all this, and I thought you should.

Date: May 30, 2006 12:15PM

oo, a squishy person! yay

and yeah,thanks ally, I have indeed started taking a B12 supp

I also take halibut liver oil capsules (ok kinda gross) for vit D (and A, etc)
and iron, calcium, silica, MSM, bluegreen algae, greens supp, bee pollen, maca, and more! dude...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables