Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

abdominal bulge/fat
Posted by: cleanjan ()
Date: March 04, 2008 01:25AM

I am interested to ask for some feedback from anyone who experienced a reduction in their belly fat from going raw. there is some info out there saying that stress causes belly fat due to increased cortisol. They have drugs on the market to combat this, but I am very suspect of that as a fraud.
When i did the Master cleanse 3x's it really helped, but that is a harsh way to do it. I try to eat healthy and exercise every day, but there are a lot of temptations around me every day. I am the most health concious person in my family, friends, and coworkers. It would help me if I had people that are on this forum in my life. It is hard, but rewarding sometimes to be different. I apologize for digressing. Janice

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: abdominal bulge/fat
Date: March 04, 2008 01:29AM

Just to add, I am the mother of 2 grown children, and I believe it is harder forsome of us to loose that belly fat. Just an after thought. janice

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 04, 2008 01:36AM

Where we store and lose fat is completely genetic, much more than how easily we gain or lose overall. I also gain first and lose last in the stomach so I understand. I have been overeating on fats lately and it all went to my belly. But the only thing you can do is lose fat, and eventually, when your body fat % gets low enough, you will lose the tummy fat. In addition to a clean diet, strength training and high-intensity interval cardio can be very helpful.

But I think you're right, those drugs are gimmicks. If they worked, everyone would be using them already. Lowered stress, more sleep, all those things are great and will probably help. They also make it easier to eat well and exercise. They don't come in pill or powder form smiling smiley

Good luck!

Date: March 04, 2008 01:47AM

Thank you rost, I will keep working on it. Janice

Date: March 04, 2008 01:50AM

I will too! Wish I could gain somewhere else for once, but it's nice to know I didn't do anything "wrong" and it CAN still come off.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:22AM

The belly goes when you get your bodyfat down. You can track it with calipers and the 3 or 7 site measurement calculations here:

[www.rustyiron.net]

Cut calories, use resistance training. Join a gym if you haven't already and concentrate on free weights and the weight machines rather than cardio, I see a lot of women struggling over the cardio machines and they still jiggle, but gaining muscle is the way to go. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

It's harder after a few children but not impossible. Google Morjorie Newlin, she did it after kids and she still looks great in a bikini even in her 80s.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:27AM

Have you tried yoga?

I develop muscle VERY easily and especially in my stomach, so I have to be careful that I don't work out TOO much. It sounds crazy, I know. But a lot of yoga instructors have good ab workouts and they get the breathing right so it doesn't protrude your stomach.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:43AM

rost0037, genetics do have a lot to do with where fat is stored, but not everything. In fact, there are several conditions, including but not restricted to diabetes and insulin resistance, polycystic ovarian syndrome, sleep deprivation or disturbance, and alcohol consumption that can affect the accumulation of belly fat specifically.

It's interesting to note that a number of factors, including alcohol consumption and animal food consumption, can bring on what's called 'metabolic syndrome', a combination of indicators including visceral fat (fat between the organs), high blood pressure, hardened or calcified arteries, etc that are considered the precursors of the adult westerner diseases, such as heart disease, stroke and diabetes.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Date: March 04, 2008 03:43AM

Some good articles from a fitness blog:
On abs--
[joshsgarage.typepad.com]
On strength-training--
[joshsgarage.typepad.com]
Highly recommended for women. Women don't bulk up, but may appear to as muscle starts to push fat out. Lower body fat%, lower excess body fat.

Date: March 04, 2008 01:04PM

rost0037 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Women don't bulk up,
> but may appear to as muscle starts to push fat
> out.

I disagree.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 04, 2008 02:59PM

I always had a problem with belly "bulge," as did my mom and sister. Pilates totally changed that.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:20PM

I lost fat all over and have had a big reduction in my stomach fat. The other thing I noticed was that when I started eating raw foods all the time I actually had the energy to work out and didn't mind doing crunches.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 04, 2008 03:24PM

I noticed the shape of my stomach has changed recently--I'm not sure if this is muscle or fat--but this week, I am experimenting with cutting out all overt fats, and seeing how I look and feel (so sad, no durian!). I am really gaining weight on the raw right now.

If anything interesting happens, I will make an update here. >8)

Date: March 04, 2008 03:51PM

Utopian Life Wrote:
> rost0037 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> Women don't bulk up,
> > but may appear to as muscle starts to push fat
> > out.
>
> I disagree.

This is what many trainers have told me--but maybe it is from their experience with SAD eaters, not thin women on a very healthy diet. We don't have much testosterone generally, but some could be different. I was actually wishing I could bulk up more easily, because my arms are so weak and it takes so much work to get them stronger!

Date: March 04, 2008 04:36PM

rost0037 Wrote:

> This is what many trainers have told me--but maybe
> it is from their experience with SAD eaters, not
> thin women on a very healthy diet. We don't have
> much testosterone generally, but some could be
> different. I was actually wishing I could bulk up
> more easily, because my arms are so weak and it
> takes so much work to get them stronger!

I understand that that's what the trainers say. Maybe they should rephrase it to be "most women." I have to limit my arm workouts as well (and my arms are already muscular), and I have to run slowly on my runs or else my muscles bulk up. Same with my stomach - the muscles can protrude really fast (and they're already defined as it is).

Date: March 04, 2008 05:31PM

That's sweet, I always admire strong women (trying to be one myself) smiling smiley
Trainers should probably be careful to individualize. As it is, you usually can't take their nutrition advice at ALL.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:43PM

>As it is, you usually can't take their nutrition advice at ALL.

I agree, they eat hideously--oatmeal, 46 chicken breasts, 3 spears of asparagus, 6 hard boiled eggs. And they call this eating "clean."

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 04, 2008 08:56PM

Well, only four days into my raw food life and I've lost eight pounds already. I'm eating a lot of fruits and veggies and a few nuts for the most part. I even had one cooked breakfast when I wasn't prepared to make my own. I drink a lot of water, too. My favorite meal so far has been a blended salad that had the consistency of just below gazpacho. That was like the old days of drinking Red Bull!

I love, love, love, the crisp, clean taste of raw foods! I don't really have any cravings for the old stuff (yet). I still enjoy the smells of cooked food though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables