Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is considered raw
Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 05, 2008 10:54PM

I have heard that nama shoyu is not raw, and I have it at home. I want to give it away. Is it true? Also are hemp seeds, hemp seed powder, nutritional yeast, soy lecithin, curry powder, cummin considered raw? I am new to raw food and preparing foods for myself too.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is considered raw
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 05, 2008 11:12PM

Nama shoyu is made with cooked soy beans, but they are then fermented, so it is 'live' again. Not the worst food in the world, but too much salt for me.

Hemp seeds - depends. If you are in the USA and are talking about whole hemp seeds then they will probably have been irradiated. In Europe hemp seeds are usually raw - you can tell because you can sprout them.

nutritional yeast - No

soy lecithin - probably not, don't know.

curry powder and cummin - depends on what temperature they were dried at, but personally I still eat herbs and spices, for me such small amounts don't seem to cause a problem.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 05, 2008 11:13PM

Congratulations on your healthy choices!

Short answer: The hemp seeds maybe (you'd have to sprout them to find out)...but not the other stuff.

Opinion: Don't get hung up on the word 'raw'. Think: 'fresh, unprocessed plant foods' and you'll be in the ballpark. This is just my outlook and experience. If the items you name help you to eat more of that over the course of your lifetime...then they CAN'T be bad! smiling smiley The hidden ingredient that grants health is CONSCIOUSNESS. That YOU choose what YOU think are the highest foods...and incorporate them. Not some arbitrary standard of raw.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: March 05, 2008 11:21PM

Thanks. I just can't believe this. I bought these at an online raw food supermarket. I am going to discard them.

Date: March 05, 2008 11:53PM

How about vanilla extract, I forgot to ask this question.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:07AM

Don't be too hasty! Listen to David and don't get hung up on the word "raw." Those items you have aren't unhealthy. (The only product you have that I question is the soy lecithin.) They can help you transition into 100% raw.

As David says, "There are no raw food police." You had a purpose in mind for them when you bought them. Use them and then don't buy them anymore. Either that or give them away. I hate to think of them being discarded. Heck, I'd take the stuff out of your hair if I were there.

And, if maui_butterfly finds out you're throwing away Nama Shoyu, you'll make her cry. LOL

People do the raw foods lifestyles at different levels. There's no one right way to do it. I'm raw but will use spices, as do many other people. The only product you have that I question is the soy lecithin.

As for the vanilla, I have some. I don't use vanilla extract but I will use pure vanilla.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:22AM

Yes. The REALLY HARD process is not the eating (believe it or not) it is being LASER CLEAR in identifying what YOU think are the highest foods...and highest dreams...and finding ways to get there. THAT is a life mission worth living. Your dreams are precious. NEVER cease to water, care and support them. Even the greatest buildings started out as a thought in some one's head. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:29AM

Simple Living Wrote:
> And, if maui_butterfly finds out you're throwing
> away Nama Shoyu, you'll make her cry. LOL

i'll say "you're a better man than i am, gunga din!"
seriously, after tracking my salt intake on nutritiondata.com, i've cut WAAAAY back on NS and sea salt. and i told myself when i run out of my current bottle of NS, i will try to go without it for 3 months and see how i manage. you never know, i might kick the next crutch yet!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:57AM

maui_butterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i told myself when i run out of my
> current bottle of NS, i will try to go without it
> for 3 months and see how i manage. you never know,
> i might kick the next crutch yet!

A technique that I have used successfully to kick a habit is stop buying it and then try to make the supply last as long as possible by trying to use less and skip using it whenever possible. By doing it that way it is like a tapering off process that lets you down nice and easy. You may even find yourself "unhooked" before the supply runs out and be able to give or throw some away.

Date: March 06, 2008 02:13AM

thanks EZ. that's essentially what i've been doing. now that i know this is my last bottle of nama shoyu, i am doling it out like liquid gold! in the process, my sodium intake is now well below the DV.

now whether i give the last of my bottle away or throw it out... my first reaction is "you can pry it out of my cold, dead hands." but i am open to what may come up for me...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:27AM

A great method that works for me is, "When X is all gone, that's the last of it I'll ever have."

Tonight was theoretically my last shampoo, we'll see how that goes!

After I found out Nama Shoyu wasn't *technically* raw, I had a lot of mixed feelings about it, too. And that was when I came to my conclusion. $25/bottle Nama Shoyu... O.O I probably would have broken and eaten regular soy sauce early on, too, so it was fine to have for the time. I just don't need it now.

Date: March 06, 2008 04:19AM

thanks phantom! good luck on your shampoo adventure! i'm only using bronner's 2x/week now (rinsing with water rest of the week) and my hair has never looked or felt better. its amazing! (talk about your $25 bottles... i should own stock in bumble & bumble...)

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 06, 2008 04:24AM

If I didn't shampoo my hair every day, I would look like an oil slick. It will be interesting to see if this changes as I'm more steadily going raw.

Date: March 06, 2008 04:44AM

that's what i would have thought too, SL! surprisingly not.

check it out:
[www.smh.com.au]
[www.iht.com]
[www.naturemoms.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 06, 2008 05:46AM

You can get raw hempseeds in the US. I got some at Rawganique and also at my local health food store. Although when I got the Rawganique order, it was warm outside and the UPS delivery truck must have been hot and one of the packages came open (yawning smiley) . But anyway, I agree with what others are saying; I don't think condiments and small amounts of spices affect much of your intake, UNLESS they make you personally feel unwell. I only like salad dressings which have nutritional yeast, personally. smiling smiley

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables