Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Complete and incomplete proteins
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 05, 2008 11:43PM

I know this subject as probably been discussed before but I'm still a little confused.

Since beginning a raw food diet, my friends and relatives try as hard as they can to prove me wrong and to show me that my diet is unhealthy.

Most of them have absolutely no clue whatsoever about nutrition so their arguments are just crap. However, a friend of my studies in a sports related field and has a nutrition course where he learned that most protein in fruits and veggies are incomplete.

Now, the tricky part is that some sites tells me that this is in no way a problem since the body as a way to store the amino acids and use them when they are needed with other ones to build a complete protein. I also read conflicting ideas that says that the body can't store amino acids.

What should I believe to be the truth?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Complete and incomplete proteins
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:20AM

Definitely that the body can store amino acids and combine them as needed to create complete proteins. (Otherwise, how else are we all healthy on a raw veg diet?)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:24AM

nutritional wisdom used to (circa 1980) hold that you needed to consume complete proteins together, but that has been shown to be false. tell your friend his teacher needs to update his reference materials.

i can't wait until arugula gets hold of this one... smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:28AM

Right. My understanding is the body has to actually break down 'complete' proteins....so that it can do what raw food people already do - combine them on the fly as needed. This is just my opinion/observation.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:31AM

It's my understanding that the protein combining myth was debunked at lesat 30 years ago.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 06, 2008 12:36AM

No, you don't have to have the full complement at each meal.

But yes, if you are on a highly restrictive diet it is possible that over a day you might come up short on one or two aminos.

Nutritiondata.com and cron-o-meter provide amino acid profiles. You can check your intakes and compare them to WHO and USA nutrition board's recommendation.

The people who normally profess concern over such issues would normally not have a clue how to confirm that there might actually be a problem or not with their own intakes (of anything, for that matter).

You can be smarter than them. But don't smirk.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 06, 2008 02:00AM

yes, yes!

you may smirk a little on the inside. winking smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 06, 2008 03:33AM

If you eat a varied raw diet, it's almost impossible to come up short for aminos. At least this is what I have found, hanging out on sites like nutritiondata.com. ^.^;; Vary your fruits, vary your greens, vary your sprouts and whatever else. Bananas alone have 22/23 amino acids... so do some other fruits. The odds are honestly in our favor. Nature intended it that way. =)

And when in doubt, eat seaweed. >8)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables