Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green smoothie vs salad
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:21PM

Hi,

I read about this famous green smoothie everywhere, but since going raw I've been getting in the habit of making myself some big salads each day and I rarely make myself a green smoothie.

Are they any pros and cons of green smoothies and salads?

Also, what are the best ingredients for a good smoothie?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green smoothie vs salad
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 08:59PM

Pro of salad--more "natural", you use your jaw muscles, no oxidation like with blending

Pro of blended salad/green smoothie--can liquify it much more than you could with your jaw which makes nutrients much more bio-available.

I think it's fine to do what works for you, and if you do lots of smoothies, make sure you use your jaw muscles sometimes. If you don't, work on chewing salads well.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:10PM

I'd much rather have a salad. Salads make me drool.

If you make a green smoothie based on fruit with a handful of greens, you won't get as many minerals or as much protein from it as say a big green salad, like 10 cups worth.

But really, why do either, or, when you can do both?

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:54PM

I can eat a serious amount of salad. In fact, I DO on a daily basis. Every night I have a HUGE salad. Just thinking about it makes me happy.

I never felt that way about cooked or processed food.

Eat whichever makes you smile!

Lee

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: March 06, 2008 10:40PM

I have bad teeth and can not chew a salad very well. I am finding the green smoothie to be usefull in eating some tough greens like kale. I find I use no oil in a green smoothie and eat more greens than if I were to just eat a salad. I do enjoy a huge salad though and like my tomatoes in chunks rather than mushed.
I really like spinach banana and strawberrie in my smoothie. I am trying out kale this week and I kind of like that. I stay away from mustard greens, I made a mistake and tried that once and it was real awfull.

Posted by: sewraw ()
Date: March 07, 2008 12:46AM

I usually have a green smoothie for breakfast and a salad for lunch. I can probably take in more greens and calories per volume in a smoothie than I can with a salad.

Patty

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 07, 2008 12:59AM

The blended meals and smoothies are a nice break from all the chewing everything else takes. I do both. I have to admit, I prefer the blended meals and the smoothies, though.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 07, 2008 02:05AM

I get sick of chewing salads and find a smoothie a good way to eat a lot of greens. However, I believe a salad is better because I understand that vegetables and fruit is bad food combing.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 07, 2008 02:50AM

I understand that vegetables and fruit is bad food combing.

Really? I'm new to this so I haven't gotten to study everything yet. Why is this a bad combination? I usually put a small bit of fruit in my salads and green smoothies.

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 07, 2008 03:05AM

I'm interested to know about that too.

I put a lot of fruits in my salad to make them tastier and really fun to eat but didn't know they are bad food combination.

I know that fat and sugar is so I was also wondering if I should stop putting fruits in salads where I add some nuts, seeds or avocados.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 03:59PM

Fruit goes great with most veggies except starchy ones!

Here's a great food combining chart....

[www.thewolfeclinic.com]

I put it up as my background on my computer! : )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables