Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Foods that trigger detox (mine being olives)
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 08, 2008 03:10AM

Can certain foods help the detox process at certain points, as your body moves to different tasks?

As I mentioned before, I've experienced olives for the first time this week (I used to hate them), and since then, I've begun an uncharted olive MANIA.

I ordered some raw ones, but in the meantime, until they arrive, I have been eating various high-grade organic olives, some of them possibly raw (the jars say they are only soaked, but make no mention of pasteurization or low-temp processing).

Oh. My. God. I must have eaten literally 100 olives today, at least (and I'd be eating more if they weren't so expensive!).

Yesterday, I had an olive feast. After the feast, two things happened: I had an urge to follow up with fresh cherry tomatoes (yum!), and later on, I just laid in bed with the heat cranked, under lots of blankets, sure I was running a fever. It was like getting the freezies on a juice fast. My stomach didn't hurt, so it wasn't any digestive dischord, and there was some serious eliminative evidence this morning to confirm my suspicions.

Then today. I had another huge feast in the afternoon, followed with more cherry tomatoes (body said so!), and a little while later, again, I got freezing cold, so just bundled up, cranked the space heater, and rested.

Then tonight. I had one jar with about 60 small olives saved for tomorrow. I was going to eat just one... ha! They are also stored in a pristine organic olive oil (very dark and green). After I finished the olives, I kept eating the oil, 2-3 Tbsp, and threw away the jar before I went any crazier. This was exactly like the coconut oil mania I had a while back. Note that I also do not enjoy regular cold-pressed olive oils NEAR as much, too much makes me sick. But the organic stuff is fantastic, I just keep wanting more.

I've read things like, "Oh, the Roman poets praised olives for their health properties" and that olive oil is cleansing... albeit good, it's a lot of vague information. Does anyone know anything more about the nutritional profile? (*I know they are very high in sodium. I hate celery and haven't had any real sodium since I've gone raw except in tomatoes and seaweed.)

Has anyone else experienced TOTAL MANIA with certain types of food like this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Foods that trigger detox (mine being olives)
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 08, 2008 03:31AM

Have you ever tried the sundried peruvian olives, that don't use any salt? I'll eat those olives from time to time because I don't like the salt in most raw olives.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 08, 2008 03:58AM

Yes, seaweed, kale, oranges....bananas, mangoes. pretty much all plant-based food that touches my lips! smiling smiley

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 08, 2008 04:23AM

Just like my current raw onion fetish, phantom! (see my thread lol) I also have been eating those until I break into a cold sweat and then have an afternoon sleep while my daughter has hers. very interesting

olives: a source of calcium and sodium.

deficiency of calcium may lead to: muscle cramps, pins and needles in arms and legs, low resistence to viral infections, heart palpitations, tooth decay, bone malformations, nervous conditions
if your struggling to digest food or, it sits, you may be deficient in calcium. Calcium is used in the process of digestion.
It is also essential in the body's utilization of iron that oxygenaties the blood and maintains a strong blood supply throughout the body and helps clean out toxic wastes.

deficiency in sodium may cause: excess urination, wrinkly skin, constipation, purping and wind. Arthritis can develop.
known as the floeility mineral: the body needs sodium to regulate fluids in the body. Dancers, athletes and heavy physical workers need more as they lose a lot through sweating.

Hope this helps

smiling smiley Grayzie

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 08, 2008 12:34PM

I don't think this has anything to do with detox. Olives are yummy and it's hard to stop eating them when they are in front of me. Same for pistachios, which is why I almost never buy either one.

I can control myself better with nuts still in the shell and avocado for a concentrated fat.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 08, 2008 02:02PM

well, it does sound interesting - how your body is reacting to them. It sounds strange that as Arugula said that it doesn't have anything to do with detox. I was thinking along the same lines you were.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 08, 2008 05:44PM

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

I do have the "I'll keep eating and eating" syndrome with nuts sometimes, which is why I don't buy them. But that's more of an idle, "Mmm, delicious, munch munch" as opposed to this crazy feeling of... almost realizing that I was suffocating without them, or something. It did happen with coconuts/coconut oil, and that finally passed. It felt like there was a warm light of total satisfaction glowing in my stomach when I was getting high on the coconut oil. tongue sticking out smiley

Maybe not detox directly, but perhaps I'm making use of the minerals in a better/different way, that are readily available in olives. I have been working out and sweating considerably more, and after the coconut/magnesium craze, maybe I want to focus on getting calcium again. Isn't it calcium that the body also pulls to neutralize certain toxic and acidic things?

Who knows!! But olives are great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables