Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Hearts of Palm
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 08, 2008 09:17PM

Okay, so I know that it is horrible that they come in a can. But, are they raw? And, is there any nutritional value even though they DO come in a can? I always loved them, and recently just had them again in a salad. I was just wondering if anyone can give me a perspective from the raw world - to eat or not to eat. Thanks. Veggie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hearts of Palm
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 08, 2008 10:39PM

I don't think anything in a can will be raw, it would at least be pasteurized. I had fresh hearts of palm I bought at a farmer's market in Costa Rica in San Isidro.

Date: March 09, 2008 03:26AM

Oh I bet they were heavenly. I really don't know about the whole process of canning - but now that I think about it you are totally right. Ew! although, they are still so darn good!

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 09, 2008 04:08AM

bryan, can you actually eat those raw? are they good? do you have to do anything to them? because i know they are hard fresh, aren't they?

i'm totally curious about this. i hope you respond.

i think hearts of palm contain a ton of fat. what would you consider it? a veggie? a fruit? nut like?

Date: March 09, 2008 04:11AM

I believe it is classified as a vegetable.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: March 10, 2008 01:33AM

Well, on the can "ahem, cough, choke...." it says there is no fat. However, I don't know if that is because of something done when it is stuffed into aluminum. Ugh. I am really interested to know more about eating them raw though. I would love to try them! Were they really hard?

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 10, 2008 01:43AM

Canning alone wouldn't make fat disappear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables