Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic Peppers
Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: May 30, 2006 09:59AM

I am having trouble finding organic peppers most of the time. Obviously I don't want to be eating tons of chemicals. Should I avoid things like peppers that are high in pesticides unless I get organic. Or just eat them in moderation given that the rest of my raw diet is organic?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic Peppers
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: May 30, 2006 11:30AM

-There are no raw food police. You've done the research - and now it's your decision to make.......to eat the highest food you think is possible. Should you avoid something you think is good for just because it is not avaialble as organic? My personal opinion is no.

-On the practical side, you can wash your conventional produce very carefully.

-With Respect,

-David Mason

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: May 30, 2006 01:08PM

Well obviously it ends up being your own choice, I was just looking for other opinions/experiences.
Thanks for yours.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: May 30, 2006 01:35PM

Often if you can't get a food organically, it might be out of season, which is another reason for not eating it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: May 30, 2006 05:48PM

I have to go to 3 different places to get all my organic produce! Personally, I wouldn't eat it if I couldn't find it organic....I'd ask your local health food store if they could start carrying it or maybe they can tell you who does.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 30, 2006 06:50PM

I think peppers are one of the fruits that are the "most sprayed", others are apples and cherries.

Posted by: jan ()
Date: May 30, 2006 10:08PM

Regardng Organic Peppers
Dave,
It's guys like you that make being raw a pleasure. You always make things easy
and it makes us who struggle out here try a little harder!
THANKS!
Jan

Posted by: reuben ()
Date: May 31, 2006 04:06AM

wish i could do something about it, but I'm slow. yesterday and today i planted watermelons and tomatoes, tomorrow i plant peppers, somewhere around a couple hundred plants. along with fooling with the water system to get it running. then plan to try setting up some carrot beds. on land i just got cleared.
I don't do strict organic, but i hate toxic chemicals and wish they didn't exist, won't touch em with a 100 ft pole!! LOL.
I'll create my own brand, I like em sweet and i think i know how to make em that way. of course my limited volumne will limit distribution severly. I'm thinking of selling through the fresh market chain in the SE US as soon as i have enough to make a weekly delivery of a decent amount.
I've been cutting timber for a livin for a long time, but I'm getting low on sellable trees, and i do NOT want to have to find a job elsewhere, that's not my style, always been independant, so as soon as i posibly can do it, produce is gonna be my business, year round. have a big greenhouse almost ready to go but it's a bit hot to start in it so it'll wait till Sep or so to get it going.
I'm doing it, first because i want to eat good clean nontoxic sweet food, then because the only way i can take time to grow it is to grow enough to sell for an income, then eat off the top.
Yes i live way out in the woods, citys make me nervous. even the local small town is too crowded for my liking. maybe cause i grew up in the woods, playing in a creek down in the gully, raising toads in the driveway puddles, helpin the folks grow a garden and preserve the good stuff from it. Still raising toads, there's toadlets hoppin all over the place, a few thousand tads in a puddle by the barn. good little skeeter gobblers. My brother watched a mama toad swallow an earth worm today, then he dropped a tater bug next to it and momentarily the bug vanished. quality country entertainment.
I was looking at commercial ripe peppers in the store this morning, $1.87 ea. that's outa sight. I just gotta grow them. RT

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: May 31, 2006 04:11PM

i read somewhere here that if you wash produce in biodegradable dish washing liquid it removes approx 80% of residue...

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: May 31, 2006 06:01PM

Organic peppers here have been as high as $3.50 each. (Atlanta)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables