Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Not Eating After Noon
Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: March 17, 2008 01:58PM

Yes Nessi! That is how I look at it! And not only did the food came back, but the short time I spent there was so beneficial that I have so much gratitude. What I gave came back so many times that I'm still trying to find ways to give to the monastery (I might transcribe some talks for them!)

In all the retreats I have done they really make a big deal out of eating. It's so important to understand the connection between food and any kind of spiritual life. One can't practice in isolation - it's absolutely impossible.

I think that raw foodists probably understand this connection on a deep level too, becuase of the connection between one's body and the earth.

-DaveK

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 18, 2008 02:58AM

What I don't understand is how people on this thread can be eating so little and not fading away to nothing! It is truly a whole new way of thinking to me, and like someone else said - almost seems like anorexia! It is so hard to fathom I think because I have dealt with anorexia and for so long was pushed to eat, eat, eat. Kids are waking up - definitely so interesting though.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 03:15AM

Some of us eat a lot! Others have very slow metabolism, perhaps, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as they eat very high quality food.

Date: March 18, 2008 03:27AM

veggiefreak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I don't understand is how people on this
> thread can be eating so little and not fading away
> to nothing! It is truly a whole new way of
> thinking to me, and like someone else said -
> almost seems like anorexia! It is so hard to
> fathom I think because I have dealt with anorexia
> and for so long was pushed to eat, eat, eat. Kids
> are waking up - definitely so interesting though.

Most people just eat way too much, IMO.

I think the number one thing most people could probably do for their health, without even changing their diet, is just to eat less. Even if they are eating crap, if they are eating too much crap, the body is too busy trying to figure out what to do with all of it. Whatever nutrition the food might have doesn't all get utilized, so it just gets wasted.

There must be an apt metaphor here. Something about firewood or fuel injectors. smiling smiley

But just with that step alone (eating less) people would have more energy becuase their body wouldn't be so busy trying to process their food. Add to that the change to a nutritious diet and the body gets what it needs with less. I think that's the big picture here, at least from what I can tell.

-DaveK

Posted by: Nessi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:28AM

Itzdavey Wrote:
> > I think that raw foodists probably understand this
> connection on a deep level too, becuase of the
> connection between one's body and the earth.
>
> -DaveK

Personal opinion: we are creatures of kindness and love, living in a beautiful universe that provides to sustain our cycles of perveying the truth of life - giving and sharing with one another what we need ourselves.

veggiefreak Wrote:
> What I don't understand is how people on this
> thread can be eating so little and not fading away
> to nothing! It is truly a whole new way of
> thinking to me, and like someone else said -
> almost seems like anorexia!

I have too dealt with ana and it has been a strange journey ever since. I created too many rules and voices in my head - a lot of conceptualizing, categorizing, and thinking. Know I struggle to let go of the thoughts and instead learn to eat what creates and sustains a strong, vibrant, healthy body. This has been the challenge as I learn to let go of the mental focus and try to eat intuitively (in good health).

This can be confusing as we do live in a world of sugar and addictive foods, which leads me to the point that the efficiency, or eating less calories, comes from the notion of receiving more nutritional "bang" for every "buck" of food - getting more nutrients in less volume.

I must say to that end, though, that we must all be careful to listen to the needs of our bodies and that it can be hard to find balance. Less may be more, but keeping the void filled with nutrients is key.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:30AM

The Buddhists have a good idea by not eating after Noon, but it probably was done for convenience, rather than Health. Why bother with Two meals when we can live on One? Plus, it costs twice as much.
The Buddhist Philosophy has one major Flaw. It doesn't allow for individual differences. Everyone gets the same Training.......WY

Date: March 19, 2008 09:14PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
> The Buddhists have a good idea by not eating after
> Noon, but it probably was done for convenience,
> rather than Health. Why bother with Two meals when
> we can live on One? Plus, it costs twice as much.

Usually when the Buddha created a rule of some kind there was some particular event that prompted it. I forget the event that prompted the "no eating after noon" rule, but since then people have recognized it has other benefits. It's also been kept as a training rule with regards to restraint, and controlling one's greed.

> The Buddhist Philosophy has one major Flaw. It
> doesn't allow for individual differences. Everyone
> gets the same Training.......WY

Nah! NOBODY gets the same training. Not any two people get the same training. People train themselves. smiling smiley

Over and over again in the Suttas the Buddha says "Thus he trains himself." That's the whole point. [www.google.com]

The scheduling and the environment, and the precepts create a space to do discovery. Even those things differ between different sects and schools of Buddhism, and differ still between country or community differences, or even between individuals.

The eating after noon thing, as an example, is a theravada practice, so you won't find it in Zen or pure land or tibetan Buddhism or whatever. And even still this is only in monastic life. As a lay practitioner you can pretty much do as you please, so long as you recognize the consequences your actions have.

-DaveK

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:06PM

Thanks Dave.......you have a good understanding of Buddhism. I prefer my own Philosophy, rather than being tied to any one belief. Plus, I'm easier on myself, but that is not a good thing. Keep your nose to the Grindstone.

"I refuse to join any organization that would have me as a member".....Groucho Marx

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables