Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Red Clover Sprouts = Source of B12???
Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 13, 2008 11:04AM

I have an A. Vogel pamphlet at home that came with a sprouter-thing of mine. Under red clover, it says it has B12. I think this might have been the only (or one of the very few) sprout listed with B12.

I really didn't think any sprouts had B12? I can't see why they would.

It's an old pamphlet (4-5 years old, at least, I think), and the information isn't repeated on their web site or anywhere else on the web, for that matter!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Red Clover Sprouts = Source of B12???
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 13, 2008 05:21PM

cleanse dot net says this about red clover:

Red Clover Blossom is an excellent herb for purifying the blood. It is also beneficial for a number of skin diseases, including acne and eczema, and is helpful in the treatment of arthritis. Red clover has been used in the treatment of cancer and is said to be beneficial in the treatment of tuberculosis, as well. Additionally, red clover is good for the urinary, digestive, and respiratory tracts and as an antispasmodic and antimicrobial. It is also a nervine. Nutritionally, it is a very high source of chromium and a high source of magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium and vitamin C.

It doesn't say anything specifically about B12. But, about B12, I found the following:

Green Foods and Super Foods
These have high levels of essential protein, iron and B12.
<snip> Spirulina is a superfood that is grown in both ocean and alkaline waters. It is a complete protein, is highly digestible, and increases energy. Chlorella is a one-celled algae grown as a superfood. It is a complete protein food, high in amino acids, beta carotene, all of the B vitamins, and minerals. It also contains the highest concentration of chlorophyll known. Chlorella has an extremely beneficial effect on the health of the bowel and can stimulate peristaltic activity, help to detoxify the colon, and promote the growth of helpful bacteria. It can eliminate heavy metals from the body and strengthen the liver. And the composition of chlorella provides an increase in sustained energy and immune health when eaten on a regular basis. Blue green algae is a phyto-plankton with high amounts of digestible protein, fiber, chlorophyll, minerals, and enzymes. They have the richest source of B12, and the highest source of beta carotene known. They are also a good source of GLA, or gamma linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid that has been shown to have a beneficial effect in the treatment of cardiovascular disease and PMS. Laminaria is a brown seaweed that is a wonderful source of fiber that contains a natural antibiotic substance. It also stimulates the immune system and has been suggested to prevent the initiation of breast cancer.

I hope this helps in some way.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 13, 2008 05:58PM

Unfortuntely, it is well-known by scientists that the B-12 in these foods is actually analogues that *interfere* with absorption of B-12. Some older tests (not accurate) used to count these analogues as B-12, which is why it was thought that they had B-12. But they can actually lead the to opposite effect.

Vegan Outreach has good info on this--> [www.veganhealth.org]

Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: March 13, 2008 06:14PM

I recently learned that the B-12 in "superfoods" is likely the analog (as you say rost0037). It was very disheartening.

I've been drinking Odwalla Vanilla Almondo protein drinks b/c its says it has 100 % of B12. I tried reading the ingredients to figure out where the B12 was coming from and all it said was B12. Here the list of ingredients:

Organic Soymilk (Water and Organic Soybeans)
Organic Oatmilk(Organic Oat Flour and Pure Filtered Water)
Banana Puree
Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
Isolated Soy Protein
Ground Almonds
Vanilla Extract
Natural Flavors
Tricalcium Phosphate
Zinc Gluconate
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine Hydrochloride)
Vitamin B12

Does this mean the put some type of supplement in the beverage? I love the drink (as part of my non-raw 15%). Any thoughts as to whether or not this is a good way for me to get my B12?

Date: March 13, 2008 07:04PM

I bet Odwalla adds it, I don't think they would lie about that on the label. For exmaple, lots of soymilk makers add B-12, it's not from the soy. So it would be real B12, like if you buy a B12 supplement.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 13, 2008 08:58PM

Leesah, essentially all B12 comes from bacteria. There is a way to make it in the lab but it is much more expensive and has much lower yield than what bacteria can do. Therefore I would not be concerned if it came from a supplement. The bacteria still did the work. Better to get it that way than to kill an animal for it, or to do without.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 13, 2008 10:18PM

Thanks for the replies :-)

That Vegan Outreach article was good (read it quickly, will go through it properly again later).

Can I ask a (possibly stupid!) question? Aside from the B12 in the red clover sprouts (which I'm thinking is more an error/misprint), it makes you wonder WHY (from a natural perspective) we can have foods such as spirulina- which are very nutritious- have a screw-up whereby the fake B12 messes with our own B12?

It'd be like finding out that apples have a vitamin that destroys other nutrients in our bodies. Seems a bit weird.

Could this be because the natural plant sources of B12 (spirulina etc) are usually processed? If you ate freshly harvested seaweed, I imagine there would be a lot of bacteria in there as opposed to the final, sanitised product we buy in the shops wrapped in plastic?

With the tests that are done, I can't imagine a lot of money being invested in proving that there are fresh vegan sources of B12 (when the big money is in supplements and dry superfoods) so I'm kind of dubious of them.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: March 13, 2008 11:06PM

B12 is a bacteria that grows in the soil, think of the growing conditions in the soil - damp just like you keep your sprouts damp - there are also seeds in the soil for B12 to grow on just it grows on your clover sprouts. If you get plant material damp and let it sit around for a few days you are going to get B12 growth.

My question is, how can it be an analogue if the growing conditions are perfect for B12 growth?

Posted by: mira ()
Date: March 13, 2008 11:30PM

i agree with aragula and Lillianswan

B12 is a bacteria... I dont wash my organic vegatables (like carrots, they always have a little bit of soil on them) and i dont know if my levels are ok, but i think they are

Date: March 14, 2008 02:38AM

Natural plants don't need B12, so they don't have it. And the analogue exists because it fits into the ecology somewhere else, even if there's no known purpose for humans. Basically I would say--not everything is designed for humans and that's okay.

Posted by: Cynderella ()
Date: July 09, 2017 08:34PM

Hi Everyone,

Just wonder if anyone has any new research on B12. Has anyone done anymore recent studies on Red Clover, and Comfrey?

I really think Comfrey got a bad rap, and it maybe no coincidence( Conspiracy), since I read that it has B Complex, including B12. These, plus the Clover, Broccoli Sprouts, sea weeds, (& of course, Nutritional Yeast) are my plant resources to refer to at this time.

I see so much on the web about B12's only source as being meat &/or supplementation, so I really want to clear the research on these great Plant based resources, so we can tout about them more and let those meat eaters realize how WE have special monopoly resources. As a Plant Based Well Life Coach I do believe such referenced adds (especially, by Vegan authors, themselves)moody smiley, deter people from a full plant based lifestyle.

I may even do the research myself, as a Dissertation topic, coming up soon. If someone knows a biologist who might team with me on B12 research, please send them my why.

So, if anyone has recent research, or knows someone interested in Team studies on these, as B12 foods, please have them chat here &/or contact me at Health Energy Earth Options,512-297-4696. The phone doesn't always ring in, so please leave a vm with best times to return the call & I will do my best to get w/ it asap.

Thanks, & ttfn, Happy Veganssmiling smiley

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 10, 2017 12:42AM

Inactive B12 analogues in plant foods compromise the accuracy of traditional methods used to determine the vitamin B12 amounts and activity of a food. Bacterial contamination of a food can create the false impression that all such foods contain B12 analogues. The only reliable way to determine if a food is a source of active B12 is to test various batches of that food to see if it reduces methyl malonic acid (MMA) levels in humans.
[www.veganhealth.org]

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: July 10, 2017 06:55AM

Cynderella,
I love comfrey. It's my favorite top pick for leafy greens because of its medicinal value. I know a raw vegan increased his b12 just by eating more organic leafy greens (not comfrey though), so it seems soil health has a lot to do with b12.
There's definitely a conspiracy against comfrey in the U.S.

Date: July 10, 2017 11:40PM

The peer reviewed research suggests that sprouts do have some B12, but not near enough. Yes, l do recall red clover having some B12, but still, not near enough.

When l lived on large quantities of red clover sprouts for a long period of time l still needed to supplement B12.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: July 11, 2017 12:26PM

>The peer reviewed research suggests that sprouts do have some B12, but not near enough

Yes. Not enough b12 but many vegans do not look at the research. This x plants has b12, this y plant has b12. It is better to supplement to be on the safe side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables