Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

In limbo
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 14, 2008 03:33AM

I guess this is part of the transition process--learning to kill your old habits on every level and truly, truly part with them.

Food addiction is probably 98% psychological with me. I've been making excellent progress with even my darkest vices during the past few weeks, in that I've honestly, truly, 100% desired raw food in place of old restaurant favorites that have a lot of Pavlovian "reward" feelings tied to them, to the point of going to the grocery store to make lettuce wraps instead!

Usually, if I have a craving, sweet, juicy fruit will kill it. If not, I'll try fruity fats (avo, durian), sprouts, or seeds.

Lately I've been wanting something "munchy." Nuts are too heavy. Sprouted beans/lentils come kind of close... but don't quite do it. Same with olives. I can't quite figure out what my body wants when it feels like this.

If I do have to give in to eating cooked, I make sure it's within the realm of 80% raw, so it's still something my body can deal with. For the first time in a while, I tried some steamed edamame and organic, preservative-free but cooked hummus (with cucumbers and tomatoes!)...

I am shocked by how "cheesy" both taste to me now. Both of these things would have ANNIHILATED my munching desire before. Now, this is not so. I can taste something fresh and rewarding in every bit of raw food, even if it doesn't satisfy my very particular cravings and I choose to keep eating. Even the healthiest of cooked things are really starting to taste cheesy and rotten. It's like my tongue savors every molecule of water in fresh food, then gets angry and wonders what's going on if I give it something cooked.

I guess this is a good thing--short of me eating a bit of cooked late at night and still having this mysterious desire to munch. angry smiley

But I feel like I'm in limbo... transitioning feels so long! Maybe, in hindsight, 20 years from now, it won't.

I don't know... but I felt like sharing these strange feelings. :O

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: In limbo
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 14, 2008 07:33AM

Eating raw seeds takes care of my need for something crunchy. Experiment with different seeds until you find the one or ones that are right for you as they each have their own taste and texture. Good luck.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 14, 2008 09:13AM

yeah, i'm a pumpkin seed muncher for sure!

good work, phantom! seriously, these revelations on the journey are great. and i like the 20 year perspective. very wise!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 14, 2008 11:29AM

Sure. You will reach plateaus. It's all about setting VERY SMALL goals...that are PERMANENT and lifelong.....and therefore MUST be very small. A person can/should learn to be completely consistent with ones inner word. That is, if YOU feel something is good - you begin a NON-STOP process....however small...of incorporating more of it. And that PROCESS never ends (although the expression may change). Consequently, if YOU think something is bad....you should have a process to cut down...and eventually cut it out. In the mean time, just being AWARE and CONSCIOUS of what your goals are....and 'weaknesses' are....and having an intention to face them with friendliness and patience and attention....will get you through.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 15, 2008 02:31PM

I know when I'm in the mood for something crunchy, a nice firm apple will usually do it for me. I do identify with the not knowing what will satisfy cravings, though...sometimes I'll eat my bowl of fruit, then still WANT something...so I'll try a date...then a bit of almond butter...then some tea...then maybe a bit more almond butter...and still not know what it is I want. I think this is something worth experimenting with, so I've been trying to let go of the guilt that comes with frequent munching winking smiley.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 15, 2008 03:11PM

the enchantress Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do identify with the not knowing what will satisfy
> cravings, though...sometimes I'll eat my bowl of
> fruit, then still WANT something...so I'll try a
> date...then a bit of almond butter...then some
> tea...then maybe a bit more almond butter...and
> still not know what it is I want.

I call this signal "filler" and I usually eat some carbohydrates.
When I am hungry I usually get a clear signal about what food my body wants but when I have already eaten something or I am not hungry I can sometimes get a feeling of wanting more food but without a clear signal of what. When this happens I look for some "filler" food. I frequently eat some bananas or apples as "filler". I think the body is just looking for some carbs to run on when it wants more food but dosn't urge or crave something specific. If I wait for a stronger signal that has some hunger in it then it usually will be accompanied by an urge or craving for a specific food.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:07AM

I sure get the munchy/crunchy cravings too.
Has anyone tried making crackers in a dehydrator???
I want to try this someday.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:16AM

I like celery to satisfy my need for something crunchy.

Posted by: rawvnessa9 ()
Date: March 16, 2008 01:43AM

I also am diving into a raw diet from a life comprised of heavy meals, and its hard to keep going when you are surrounded by cooked food everywhere you turn! So far, I have maintained my strictly-raw diet, but it was so interesting to read about your 'cheesy' experience with cooked food.

If you ever need a buddy to help motivate you through the process, look no further- im in dire need of some help too..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables