Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

rheumatoid arthritis
Posted by: sweterson ()
Date: May 31, 2006 08:24PM

Has anyone seen lasting success with raw foods for rheumatoid? I ask because I have been high raw for several years now and am not getting enough relief. I am afraid that early steroid use has hindered my chances of getting well. Very frustrated I am.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rheumatoid arthritis
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 01, 2006 12:24PM

I haven't myself, but I have heard that Kombucha tea can produce amazing results. it's extremely cheap and easy to make. here are some details on it. [www.harmonikireland.com]

also, it might be worth working with a raw food nutritionist. being high raw doesn't necessarily mean you are making all the right choices with your foods. your diet might just need a bit of tweaking..?

best of luck x

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 01, 2006 05:26PM

I also am a raw foodist with rheumatoid, as is one of my daughters. I have had conversations with dozens of people with rheumatoid over the past couple of years, people doing all sorts of things including raw foods. All that I've found from talking & researching leads me to believe that each of us has to land on the combination that is just right for us, there is no clear path.

I've found that in many but not all cases diet is not enough. There is definitely a direct relationship to stress, esp the stress or lack of that can occur through doing work that really, truly makes you happy, that makes your heart and spirits sing. Meditation & yoga help a whole lot.

The piece that I couldn't do without, however, is homeopathy. A good homeopath will be able to mitigate at least some of what happened with the steroid use. There are specific remedies I can suggest but I know I shouldn't do it on this board. If you are interested post how I can email you & I'll say more.

Stay positive! Perhaps the steroids hindered your chances of getting well, perhaps not. What will for sure ruin your chances is believing that you won't get well, or that there is something wrong with you.

My best to you.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 01, 2006 05:35PM

I was told I had a high rheumatoid count (and potentially rheumatoid arthritis) a couple years back.. This is before I went raw, or perhaps even vegan. Anyway, I have found that staying hydrated and exercise have been helpful, as well as avoiding certain foods or food combinations... I am now at the point where I essentially don't feel any pain.

I am curious as to what you eat and the kind of lifestyle you lead sweterson? You can pm if you'd like. Good luck buddy.

Date: June 02, 2006 03:32PM

Thomas, my diet consists of all raw before dinner time. Breakfast is usually veg juice or fruit smoothie. Lunch is mono meal like tomatoes. Dinner might be quinoa with black beans and a bunch of raw veggies. I walk with my husband in the mornings when I can, but lately I haven't felt like it. I have heavy metal issues which make me incredibly ill at times. Very frustrating. I no longer work so do not get much activity during the day. Thanks for your interest.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: June 02, 2006 06:11PM

wow, thomas, that is excellent news! how inspirational (o:

sweterson - ((hugs)) I hope you get better soon xoxo

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 03, 2006 12:53AM

Thanks for the reply. I read a book once that suggested that certain foods can actually contribute to rheumatoid arthritis... gosh, I wish I could remember the title of the book, but I can't. At any rate, if you'd like, you could try cutting one food out of your diet for maybe 2 weeks, then reintroducing and seeing if you notice any changes, as per the suggestion of the book. Apparently there are a lot of potential problem foods, like tomatoes, some nuts, meat (heh), possibly potatoes (sorry, my memory is a bit foggy).

Date: June 03, 2006 09:51PM

Hey,

I can't help but jump in here...I have a form of Rheumatoid called ankylosing spondilitis...On Remicade...not sure what will happen when I wean off (strong med.) but I am looking forward to a life W/O it. I do enjoy the kombucha tea and believe this will really help. Pilates and weight loss have been helpful so far as well. stretching is huge (pilates good here as well) as is ALOT of water. Another good Kombucha site is found at ..keyword Gunther Frank . I will be following this or other threads with interest....hope this maybe in some way helpful...

Date: June 03, 2006 09:59PM

Funny you should mention Remicade. I had been drug-free for 10 years, however last January I was in such bad shape that I decided to try the Remicade. The 1st time went okay. The 2nd time I became violently ill during the infusion. Just another indication that drugs do not belong in my body. Now I am doing better but still searching for answers. I will check out the kombucha. Thanks for the post.

Date: June 03, 2006 10:20PM

Wow...
Are you still on the Remicade ? Sadly, it has worked great for me and I am nervous to give it up. But being new to raw foods (1 month ) I dont know how my body will respond to the next infusion...alot of positive testomonials w/ the Kombucha out there...Hope you find releif and positive gains in your health soon :-)

Date: June 04, 2006 12:11PM

No, I'm no longer on the Remicade. I was too skittish to try again after being so sick . . .knew it was not in my best interest. I have 2 friends who have also found great relief with it, however one is now starting to have problems - infections and such. Just curious if you have tried homeopathy? I am looking into that but have not tried yet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables