Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tree of Life
Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 17, 2008 02:45PM

Has anyone ever been to the Tree of Life center? What was your experience like? I want to go there to aid in my recovery from an eating disorder...do you think they could help with that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tree of Life
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 17, 2008 03:56PM

Hi the enchantress!

Here's a thread on the same subject. I hope it helps! [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 17, 2008 07:30PM

A couple of things -
Where do people go for retreat other than Tree of Life - is there any place? I was wondering the same thing about eating disorder treatement facilities because most places that I have ever heard of require that you eat their food plan - consisting mostly of SAD foods. I was in treatment in my late teens and I can remember being forced to drink milk, eat saltines (no issue with animal products -but hydrogenated oils) cheese, meat, yogurt, etc. When people wern't eating the only choice was intravenous feedings or Ensure. Yuck! I can also remember that one of my big issues growing up was being forced to eat what I didn't like or when I wasn't hungry. I am sure you can imagine how the treatment went.

Anyway, I am interested in the retreat part of it more than I am an actual "treatment" facility. But, I wonder what is offered for raw food lifestyles. I can google it as well, but if anyone else has any first hand experience or knowledge it would be great. TIA!!

Date: March 17, 2008 07:46PM

RawLoveBaby recommended this place and it looks great to me!

[www.optimumhealth.org]

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 18, 2008 01:32AM

Thanks, Simple Living. That info does help a lot. From what everyone said in that thread, I don't think TOL would be right for me at all...I need my fruit!!! And all the religious stuff...not my thing at all. And OHI doesn't feel quite right either. Both places also seem too focused on one particular way of eating...I'm trying to become LESS rigid here! Thanks again for your help though.

Date: March 18, 2008 02:23AM

I'm still searching for places, too, so I'll keep you informed if I find anything.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 18, 2008 03:17AM

Try the Ann Wigmore Institute or Hippocrates, perhaps? Also, maybe it's okay if a place isn't everything you want--also remember that the overall "vibe" or feeling of a place may change as different people pass through, as they often are at these types of places. It's hard to say without being there, if you will get enough out of it to be worth it.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 23, 2008 01:58PM

I still feel like I need more support - like a raw guru living with me for two weeks to help me get on track. I have ED stuff that really gets in the way on my path to raw eating - I know it sounds lame, but the bottom line is that I definitely need more support while starting out. Has anyone else had the same kind of need - someone to talk to during the day about the experiences transtitioning (in real life), detoxing, cravings, etc? I have one friend who is raw, but he just keeps saying to me, "yup, it's hard to go raw, but when you do you will be so thankful." Or, comments similar to that - and of course I logisitcally KNOW that, but getting there is totally a struggle. While I know that the struggle is important, I just feel like I could use a more experienced support person to help me along the way. Any ideas?!?!

Does anyone know anything about Pete Cervoni? He lives in Florida (someone in the state would be best if possible) Also, my friend was in a similar situation and she went to Alissa Cohens raw school and got herself on track, I have considered doing something like that as well. Although I have heard a lot of stuff in regards to her "gourmet" style of raw. I was thinking about the Hippocrates Institute - anyone have any insight? Thanks in advance for your help, I could definitely use some. VF

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 23, 2008 03:27PM

This board is full of awesome people who will totally support you with whatever struggles you have during the process. =)

I do spend quite a bit of time here, but it has made the process SO much easier.

I can't really afford any wonderful retreat place, though I'd love to go--so as soon as the weather gets nice, I plan on packing a couple of days' worth of food and trekking out to a nice, quiet campsite. >8)

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 06:44PM

I don't agree that struggle is important for becoming raw--only if you are in a hurry to get to all raw as soon as possible (to which I would ask, why?). Just keep making changes in a positive direction towards your goals, doing whatever you are ready for, and you will get there without having to force or struggle. It's fine to go at a pace you are comfortable with (with changes you can continue to maintain), and then you will avoid massive backslides or binges.

Just another way to do things...but do what you think will work, of course. Good luck!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: March 24, 2008 05:36PM

There are many threads with the same question and alot of them have answers with photos too, of people's experience, just search it here in all dates

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables