Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Beans and Rice?
Posted by: maureen1969 ()
Date: June 01, 2006 03:35PM

I'm still very ignorant to raw eating.

Do any of you eat beans or rice?

I read on one vegan web site that you can soak brown rice overnight and eat it wihtout cooking. I tried it and it was still hard.

What about beans? Where does one buy organtic raw dried beans?

I'd appreciate anything advice on these. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Beans and Rice?
Posted by: cfd7f ()
Date: June 01, 2006 06:34PM

With rice I know that if you soak certain wild rices for several days (I think 5 in one of the recipes) then they become more palatable. I don't know about brown rice (is it cooked in the process of preparing it for distribution?), but I would think that if you soaked it long enough (agai, several days) that could be edible too. You can eat many kinds of beans, soaking them and sprouting them (if they are sproutable, if not just soaking them) can make them quite good. I was corrected on here that the skin of red kidney beans is toxic, so you shouldn't eat those. But we have chick peas and lentils and black beans...

Raw Daddy -- livin' raw and lovin' it

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 01, 2006 10:08PM

-Nope. Transitioned away from that stuff.

-Beans & Rice normally have to be cooked to transmute the startches to edible sugars. Beyond that....if if the stuff IS viable...and begins to sprout after soaking.....I wouldn't exactly call it as tasty as a fresh pineapple! Ha! ha! Just my opinion.

-You should be able to buy many organic seeds, grains & beans from the sprout people. www.sproutpeople.com/

-David Mason

Posted by: maureen1969 ()
Date: June 02, 2006 11:15AM

Thank you very much both of you! I appreciate it.

David, thank you for that link! It's pretty amazing! I just ordered two Sprouting jar kits. One for me and one for my 8 year old.

The seeds that come with it are:

Broccoli

French Garden mix: Clover,Arugula, Cress, Radish, Fenugreek, dill

San Fran mix: Mungs, Adzukis, peanuts, garbanzos, Lentils, Peas

It's enough to get me started at least and see if I like them. I'm really excited about it. I really like the idea of sprouting. My mom did sprouts when I was a kid, but they were horrible. I always thought there was just one kind; alfalpha. yikes. I guess I never put much thought into it before.

Thank you again!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 03, 2006 04:43PM

beansnrice?
what's that?
huhmmmhuhmmm

tink tonk tank tink blonk blank ding dong blangn blong

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables