Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

green smoothies...
Posted by: mindy_r ()
Date: March 19, 2008 10:59AM

hi everyone,

i was wondering if anyone could suggest a recipe for an all green smoothie that i can try. i have been making a smoothie with spinach and fruit nearly every day for breakfast now for over a month, but now i want something that is not sweet. i keep looking at all of the soup recipes but i am nervous, i keep thinking that they will end up tasting like V8, which i really don't like! i am not a fan of celery but i want to change that. so, i would love it if you would share your favourite green smoothie recipe, i would love to give them a try!! (oh, i really am quite lazy when it comes to juices... sad smiley i would really rather just add the whole veggie to the blender, but if i have to i will!!)

thanks everyone,

have a great day!

mindy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: green smoothies...
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 19, 2008 12:05PM

mindy_r Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> oh, i really am quite lazy
> when it comes to juices... sad smiley
You Hate the clean-up....I know all about
that. Do you use a Blender? There's really no need to juice. I do,
but most of the people here don't.....WY

Date: March 19, 2008 12:32PM

hi wheatgrass yogi,

i always blend. i think that it is better for me to get the fiber from the fruits and veggies anyway, since i have ibs and i have been told fiber is good for that. i really like that smoothies are thicker too!

i don't really have a fantastic juicer, it is one of the ones that have a mesh screen that spins. i find that i lose a lot fruit and juice when i use it, it all shoots out the back! i also don't like the frothie-ness of the juice. i don't have it in my budget at the moment to be able to buy another kind of juicer sad smiley

thanks for your response,

mindy

Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: March 19, 2008 12:32PM

Maybe just try going more basic?? I find the best smoothies are 1 or 2 ingredients at most. Everyone seems to want to add way too much in my opinion. Take your base green you want to use and then add a fruit that is not as sweet, or sweeter if that is what you desire.

Some of the best smoothies are found through experimenting. I'm sure everyone has made a few duds in their trials also. My favorite smoothie is simply banana and water. If I want sweeter I go grapes and water and maybe add a banana or two. I don't use smoothies to get greens down so I rarely eat green smoothies, but I would just add one green if I did.

Date: March 19, 2008 12:53PM

thanks tanawana,

i usually have spinach with banana and i am finding that too sweet lately. i think that i am really looking for something savory. i don't know. i am still trying to transition and it is a long hard road for me, but i really want this change. i find that i am looking for something to eat but in my kitchen i can never find anything savory, i just don't know how to do that yet i guess! i have been making guacamole and that is good but not enough lately. i have to find things that my husband will like. convienence (sp!!) is a big thing for me, unfortunately this is causing a lot of problems for the transition!

i just seem to be stuck. i want more raw, but don't really know where to go. i think that i may try to make some nut pate as well, maybe that will be good to stop the craving for savory. it is hard to make the change...but it will be worth it.

i know that i should be eating great big salads and stuff like that but i don't really like salads much. i try, but i am not one for eating big meals anyway so i will eat maybe 1/2 a small plate of salad and that is it! then i feel hungry again very soon. that is why i would like to make green smoothies, to get more greens, and to just plain get more. my blood sugar also seems to drop really quickly sometimes (i feel like it, but it doesn't register as low when i check my sugar levels!), so i need something that will sustain me. i am a school teacher so most nuts are out of the question and i cannot eat when i feel like i need it during the day.

anyway, i guess this is really off topic, sorry!

take care,

mindy

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:12PM

Spinach with lemon/lime. Maybe celery. If you don't like V-8, I can't think of anything else, really, they all taste V-8-ish to me.

Date: March 19, 2008 01:26PM

thank you

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 19, 2008 01:54PM

i like savory smoothies too! here you go, this is not V8-ish in the slightest, and it is yummy...

1 cup spinach
1 large cucumber
1/2 zucchini
1 small roma tomato
juice of 1 lemon
bunch of dill
black pepper

can add to this any of the following: 1/2 avocado (or more), 1-2 stalks celery, some flax seed oil. in fact, the key is the dill, the lemon, and the cucumber. everything else i just throw in based on what i have available. can substitute kale for spinach. parsley is good in this too.

have fun!

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: March 19, 2008 02:30PM

Maybe try replacing the sweet fruit with avocado, so just avo and greens, plus a pinch of salt or some herbs. I've never tried this so I don't know how it'd taste. Just an idea.

Date: March 19, 2008 03:35PM

thanks!!

maui_butterfly, that sounds soooooo yummy! i love dill and i love cucumber so that is a definate option! thank you. i think that the problem is i just don't know what i can put together...i would never have thought to put dill in a smoothie. thanks so much!

enchantress, that sounds like a great idea too. i have just recently started liking avocado so i think this would be really good.

thank you again

Posted by: mykmyk ()
Date: March 19, 2008 04:22PM

here you go this one im drinking right now. This one is new to me never had this combo before:

1 ripe Plantain

1 ripe pear

some maca

coconut oil

water

orange juice (just squeezed a small orange with one of those manual citrus juicer)

and greens of choice today was 2 collard leaves and 3 kale leaves

it turned out quite nice

yummy yummy!!!!

Date: March 19, 2008 05:24PM

thank you! i don't know what maca is though. i was thinking that i should get a manaul citrus juicer just the other day! i love orange juice like that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables