Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hair loss and protien
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 01, 2006 08:07PM

How much protien is needed per pound of body weight to avoid hair loss on a raw vegan diet? my hair is extreemely thick and heavy, but I still don't want to loose any of it.LOLOL!! I'm very new to this and needing to drop at least 80 pounds, not to mention get healthy again. I've been eating only almonds, pine nuts, celery, oranges, and whole grain cereal with soy milk for the past 2 days. I feel much more energetic and alert already!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hair loss and protien
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 02, 2006 12:34PM

I don't know about the hair loss-protein connection, but I am convinced there is a connection to insufficient fats, especially Omega 3 fatty acids.

I take evening primrose oil daily-it contains GLA and is an Omega 3 source. This has helped with hair loss due to medication.

I get about 50-70 or so grams of protein daily from plant sources, nutritional yeast and goat whey. Kale is one of my favorite plant sources, loaded with protein.

Good luck on your search!

Date: June 02, 2006 12:41PM

If I remember correctly, isn't broccoli a good sourse of calcium, too? I went through nursing classes, but neutrition was such a short portion, it's hard to remember.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 02, 2006 01:10PM

It has nothing to do with protein. So many things are required for healthy hair but every vegetable and fruit you eat has protein. Many raw foodists believe that "protein" is some miracle amino acid or vitamin. It's not. You get plenty enough protein by eating two leaves of lettuce. However, I recommend that you start to supplement your diet with raw hemp seed. This is the most complete protein on earth but, it also has a perfect balance of omega 3 and omega 6 plus a whole host of other benefical vitamins and minerals.

Here's an excerpt about Hemp Seed.

Hemp seeds contain oil that is relatively rich in essential fatty acids. In particular, hemp oil is a source of both the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and the omega-6 fatty acid gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). A tablespoon of seeds generally contains 3 to 4 grams of total fat, of which 70% are polyunsaturated fats and as much as 15 to 20% are ALA.3 GLA content is generally much lower at roughly 2 to 5%. ALA and GLA and other plants that contain one or both of these substances, such as flax, borage, evening primrose, and black currant, are known or strongly believed to have benefits for a variety of inflammatory conditions, atherosclerosis, and some neurological problems. However, the benefits of hemp seed for any of these issues has not been studied. Hemp also contains natural vitamin E and a significant amount of protein.4

An unidentified compound or compounds from an extract of hemp seeds has been shown to promote memory, learning, and immune function in mice.5 6 It is believed to act by stimulating a brain enzyme known as calcineurin.

Some Hemp seeds contain cannabinols such as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive compounds found in marijuana leaves, flowers, and seeds. The levels are generally significantly lower than those found in marijuana products, and most tests have found that volunteers fed even large amounts of shelled hemp seed or oil do not have psychological effects and do not have positive urine tests for marijuana.7 8 However, some reports have found that some people can develop sufficient levels of THC metabolites in their urine that they would be considered to have smoked marijuana.9
How much is usually taken?

Typically 1 tablespoon (15 grams) of shelled hemp seed is taken twice per day.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 02, 2006 06:51PM

Thank you for your help! I have always eaten hempseed cereal, but how can I find raw hemp seed? I'm in Iowa, so I'm probably going to have to find it on line. Any suggestions?

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 04, 2006 05:14AM

Yes,

The brand I prefer is living harvest hemp seed. You can do a search online and find it. Also, Nutiva now offers organic, hemp seed and they are a bit less expensive than living harvest.

Here are a few links for you.

[www.nutiva.com]

On their website the store finder listed the following stores that carry their products in IA.

1. Campbell's Nutrition University
2. John's Natural Foods
3. Greatest Grains on Earth
4. Campbell's Nutrition West
5. Wheatsfield Grocery
6. Be the Butterfly
7. New Pioneer Co-op Iowa City
8. Oneota Community Food Co-op
9. Everybody's Inc.
10. New Pioneer Co-op Coralville

If any of these stores, listed above, is near you then it will save you time and energy. If not, order directly from Nutiva.

Also, living harvest, which is at [www.livingharvest.com] has a great product but is more expensive. It all comes down to taste and preference. I like Nutiva but Living Harvest just has a smoother taste to me.

Also, rawganique, who is at [www.rawganique.com] carries hemp seed and lots of other raw foods and ecological clothing. They are a great store that offers fair trade products from around the world.

Hope this info helps.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Date: June 04, 2006 05:53AM

definately helps! ! Thanks bunches! !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables