Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw foods + MAO inhibitors
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 20, 2008 12:30AM

I've been reading in various places little snippets about how fruits are naturally MAO inhibiting, and how this has implications for basically all the hormonal functions in our body.

I've also seen on a lot of drug warning labels that certain things should not be consumed if taking doctor-prescribed MAO inhibitors. Would this also have something to do with why people on raw diets can get too "pure" and have serious anaphylaxis to drugs in ways different from people on a SAD diet?

Can anyone tell me more about MAO inhibitors, how and why they work? Or does anyone have some clever links? I'll read something interesting about nutritional compounds in different plants interacting in fascinating ways with the body... and then get somewhat lost in the chemistry/biology jargon.

Always grateful,
Phantom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw foods + MAO inhibitors
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: March 20, 2008 01:21AM

MAO inhibitors stop certain nurotransmitters from being broken down. These nurotransmitters include serotonin, melotonin and dopamine, all of which help us feel good.

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've also seen on a lot of drug warning labels
> that certain things should not be consumed if
> taking doctor-prescribed MAO inhibitors. Would
> this also have something to do with why people on
> raw diets can get too "pure" and have serious
> anaphylaxis to drugs in ways different from people
> on a SAD diet?

I don't think so. MAOIs found in food are at a very low level compared to drugs.

See [en.wikipedia.org] for a bit more detail.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables