Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

salt
Posted by: sweterson ()
Date: June 04, 2006 02:43PM

I am so confused about the salt controversy. Most raw foodists say no way, that it's very detrimental. Others, including the followers of Weston Price, think celtic sea salt is health promoting and a good thing. Anyone up for discussion?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: salt
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 04, 2006 04:41PM

-I can give you MY experience: Salt generally made me feel unpleasant. I transitioned from it....didn't particularly miss it....and haven't eaten it in years.

-In my opinion, it's similar to the other issues: B-12, Protien, etc. My opinion is that people run a tremendous risk of death and disease by eating excess protiens and animal products........while diagnosed cases of protien / B-12 (or chronic salt deficiency).....are rare to non-existent.

-I think that if a person has been a raw food person for many years.......and avoided salt......then a good personal evaluation might be justified. I CAN tell you that I have had no problems - just the opposite.

-I certainly think that each person should try to cut out as much of the bad stuff in their diet as they can - and supplement only if they feel the need......and if they believe it will help them.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 04, 2006 07:08PM

I think it is good in small amounts (maybe a little dissolved in water once a week or so). As long as you use a crystal salt and drink plenty of water you'll be fine. The body will absorb the sodium it needs and you're urinate out the rest. smiling smiley

However, if you choose not to eat salt you can most likely get plenty of sodium from green leafy vegtables (especially chard and celery). smiling smiley

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: June 04, 2006 08:34PM

Everyone’s different and some people need salt or the iodine (especially if someone's Hypothyroid) found in salt.
I use Kelp and Dulse seaweed because they both are close to salt in taste and have many beneficial properties.

Salt is and always will be a topic of discussion, like what Davidzanemason said about protein and B-12. Fats (nuts, oils, seeds) could fall into this category as well.......................

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 05, 2006 01:28AM

I use the Himalayan pink salt, specifically for the watercure process. I found that my potassium intake is pretty high, so to balance it out I add some Himalayan salt to water and drink it daily.

I also found that the desire to add salt to foods has faded away over time, as mentioned above.

Using salt as part of the watercure, I look at it like just another way to get trace minerals into my system, plus, I believe salt is necessary to my health.

Of course, not in any way, shape or form am I advocating the ridiculously high salt intake typical of the SAD diet (up to 10,000 mg salt daily !!!). Even adding salt and eating celery and sometimes seaweed, my salt intake averages about 2000mg daily, but my potassium averages about 5500 mg.

I only do the watercure every now and then, when I think it may be time to use some.

There is lots of information out there on the net about the pros and cons of salt, but keep in mind table salt (the regular white stuff) is something I believe you should NOT use. It's main use is industrial, and way over-processed for us to eat.

Good luck in your search!

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 05, 2006 02:44AM

For me what works is to stay away from salt most of the time. But twice a week I have a big green salad, and I add sundried dulse, which is naturally salty (and crunchy if you keep it in the frig).

I find that when I don't have dulse in my salads those two days a week, I start thinking about the cooked foods that need to have salt in them to taste good. So it seems like eating the salty dulse helps me stay raw (I don't soak it first because soaking takes out most of the salt).

Possibly it's not the salt my body wants, it's the iodine. Possibly it's the salt AND the iodine. Or maybe it's just me smiling smiley

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 05, 2006 06:30AM

I tend to get stiff/sore hands if I eat salt... then again I've never really had it in moderation or small amounts, so I can't say with certainty that I would be best off without any.

Date: June 05, 2006 01:27PM

I am concerned that the sea salt contains heavy metals. I imagine that the early primitive cultures who consumed salt did not have to worry about heavy metals in their salt. Now, however, it is a great concern. For whatever reason, it is difficult for my body to hold on to it's water and I find, no matter how much I drink, I am usually on the dehydrated side. I was hoping salt might help with this but, so far, it does not. Go figure. I think NOT using it may be the right thing for me personally.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 05, 2006 07:05PM

sweterson,

I was wondering if you ate fruit? If not, maybe some fruit would help keep you more hydrated.

Do you live in a really dry climate and work outside a lot?

-Ally

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 05, 2006 07:31PM

Sweterson,

Are you doing the watercure? If so, how much salt are you adding to your water? Also, are you drinking the proper amount of water for your bodyweight? These things all factor into your getting the right amount of water. I know when I first started adding salt to my water, as prescribed by Dr. Batmanghelidz, I was drinking around 120 oz of water a day or more because I felt dehydrated. Well, based on what Dr. Batman wrote, I probably was and my body was relearning how to use the water with the added salt. It took about two months and I naturally decreased the water I was drinking. I now drink about 80 oz. of water a day and this works fine for me but that was after drinking 120 oz. or so for weeks until my body was finally rehydrated.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2006 08:03PM

sweterson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am concerned that the sea salt contains heavy
> metals. I imagine that the early primitive
> cultures who consumed salt did not have to worry
> about heavy metals in their salt. Now, however, it
> is a great concern.

Check out [realsalt.com]

Date: June 05, 2006 08:12PM

Ally, yes I eat a lot of fruit, but thanks for the suggestion. Marcos, I know nothing about the watercure but you have peaked my interest. Do you have a website I can look at? Thanks and I will definitely check it out.

Posted by: deeds ()
Date: June 06, 2006 08:03AM

for you sweterson:

[www.watercure2.org]

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: June 07, 2006 05:12PM

I've been raw and no added salt for 4 years (with a few slips). On those occasions when I have consumed salt, i get ppuffy and bloated, and the next morning I look as I've I've cried all night. I fell much healthier with out it. however, I have started using celtic sea salt as a dental rinse to reminieralize teeth after reading a convincing article recommending it : [www.paradisenow.net]
Chickory

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 19, 2006 08:24PM

Sodium and water are both essential for the kidneys to be able to maintain proper electrolyte balance in the body.

If you're a runner or sweat a lot, you'll have to eat more salt than the average person. When you dehydrate, it's essential to replenish both the lost water and the lost sodium.

So yes, there will be times when salt is essential.

The body will crave salt both when there's too much water or too little water in the body.

Date: June 20, 2006 05:07AM

Sodium is not the same as NaCl (table salt, right?) though, is it?

Posted by: The Vej ()
Date: June 20, 2006 01:15PM

Right Sodium alone will kill you. That's why you eat NaCl. Sodium mixed with water is bad news.

Date: June 20, 2006 05:35PM

But, I thought Celery had sodium in it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables