Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Alcohol
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:24PM

I am thinking that as a "cleaned up" raw food eater that I may be more susceptible to the effects of things like booze and drugs etc. What do you think ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:29PM

uh, yeah. i made the mistake of having a martini at my friend's birthday celebration after 8 months of raw and no booze. i'll never do that again! i'm cured. smiling smiley

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:45PM

I've had a rare glass of wine since going raw and I haven't noticed anything major except that i've lost the taste for it. I don't think i could handle anything harder.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:51PM

I have a very light tolerance. Be careful and only be around people you trust until you know your limit, is all I have to say!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 31, 2008 11:55PM

Yes. It is entirely likely that you might be more sensitive to crap...the healthier you eat. Where there is life & real passion......individually.....there is little tolerance for personal inconsistency. Mistakes are ok. Fears are ok. Setbacks are ok. These are the price of admission. Not being honest in my OWN motivation....and eating something that conflicts with MY goals....that is NECESSARILY going to make me feel bad! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 01, 2008 12:03AM

I would REALLY assume that as you get clean on a raw food diet ,you would simply feel horrible with alcohol in your system.
After my behavior the last few days here,we can see what alcohol does to you!
Brian

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 01, 2008 12:16AM

Raw1228 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> After my behavior the last few days here,we can
> see what alcohol does to you!

No, alcohol doesn't do that to you, honey. You do that to yourself and others.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 01, 2008 12:32AM

I am sorry to say that I am still doing alcohol most nights. Some nights I skip it. But they are about 1 in 7.

Wish I could get past this crutch. I tell myself, well, at least it comes from a plant.

Posted by: Itzdavey ()
Date: April 01, 2008 12:33AM

Another consideration is that raw food seems to be less absorbant than all the fatty and carbohydrate foods in a SAD.

-DaveK

Posted by: javacado ()
Date: April 01, 2008 01:22AM

I average about 2 glasses of red wine a night, some nights none at all. I've noticed a difference since going mostly raw. I seem to be more clear headed even though I'm drinking alcohol. The biggest difference is that I don't crave alcohol nearly as much. I was quite a drinker and raw food is helping me come off alcohol. This is probably the only thing that has ever lessened my cravings. A huge deal for me!!!

Date: April 01, 2008 02:11AM

I do believe the raw foods will win out over beer.
I have days when I am totally raw,and those are the days there is no beer at all.
It almost sickens me.
So it could be the days when I would have maybe some cooked veggies in slightly more abundance that the raw,that tips the scale toward the beer.
But I do have days when I dont crave it in the least.
I really am trying to figure all this out.
Brian

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 01, 2008 03:04AM

I can have a glass of delicious wine, provided I can find it on a special occasion (raw four months... I've had wine three times since). No more than a glass. No more bottles to my face.

But the drunkenness hits me INSTANTLY and VERY hard... but my system also seems to metabolize it faster. I'll be halfway through my glass, pleasantly drunk, and completely sober by the time everyone else is on several drinks and just starting to buzz.

Date: April 01, 2008 11:09AM

Brian:

-There are many who find GREAT passion in life...and in trying to give to others. The pleasure of alcohol is actually LOWER than this passion. When you find this passion in YOURSELF.....then things that YOU are pursuing.....you will not choose something lesser like alcohol. But one does not back one's way into heaven. You cannot FIGHT addiction......you can only give way to a higher passion...and DO something every day towards that. Then addiction shrinks like a muscle that is never used. It's just practice - not a birthright.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: April 01, 2008 11:14AM

i've had maybe 2 glasses of wine this year. i do like it for stress reduction...

Date: April 01, 2008 02:25PM

David,
Thanks.
I fully agree.
One passion in spite of the alcohol is the fitness lifestyle,as contradictory to the beer as it can be.
I want that to rise above this problem.
Brian

Posted by: Rawtastic ()
Date: April 01, 2008 07:04PM

I get tipsy off of a few sips of kombucha!

Posted by: javacado ()
Date: April 03, 2008 01:14AM

David, I really love what you said!

Date: April 03, 2008 05:52PM

Expanding on the passion issue.
One for me has been painting.
I used to spend hours totally absorbed in painting buildings...literally painting every brick or stone.
I want it back.
Brian

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: April 03, 2008 07:49PM

I think passion is a double-edged sword. A lot of selfish, hurtful actions have been taken out of passion, or out of a belief that passion is a necessity for awakened or creative people and all else is expendable.

Personally, I think the most important thing in life, or maybe I should say the FIRST thing, is keeping one's promises; being responsible and living life with integrity. Sure, a lot of people have created a lot of art in the midst of chaos and irresponsibility, but in my world, creativity and passion grow FROM integrity.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Date: April 03, 2008 08:05PM

I hear you Seabucktho. I just don't think / observe / feel / believe that actions taken out of true joy and passion will harm others. I think you may have seen people that SAID they were following their 'dreams' or 'passions'....but by definition I don't believe they were. You certainly have an excellent point regarding internal integrity and keeping ones internal word sacred. I 100% agree.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 03, 2008 08:07PM

My passions have centered in the arts my whole life...woodworking,painting,model railroads,fitness,astronomy.People all over the world have things I have made,and those things have made them happy.
All positive stuff to me.
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2008 08:08PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: April 03, 2008 08:23PM

Hi DavidZ:

Yes, I agree - and that's I think where the eternal conflict lies: how does one judge whether the drive they are feeling is passion, or addiction, or escapism, or some form of externalisation? I think that the drive of true passion will include a drive to, if not keep our promises and commitments, at the very least bow out of them responsibly and with love before moving on.

That's why, for me, the first order of business is internal and external housekeeping. True inspiration will wait until the pets are fed and the work I'm paid to do is done, or at least wait for me to make a phone call to get those duties covered.

The well, once we tap it, is unlimited.

Do you blog? Add your blog to the thread on blogging: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]!!

Date: April 03, 2008 09:08PM

Ha! ha! Yes Seabucktho. It's a fairly simple equation: the decisions/actions/dreams that inspire true joy in you. It is these decisions, actions and work that lead us on. If your passion requires little work, consciousness or joy...then it's probably not the REAL deal! Ha! ha!

-There is KARMA (the things that you will do and face eventually).....and DHARMA (what I interpret as your 'duty'). Karma are the things that are 'required'....and Dharma are sort of like 'bonus points' ha! ha! What matters is what YOU truly feel. If YOU feel it's important to make sure the pets are fed...and you don't do it...then you ARE NOT following your passion. If you feel that sort of thing isn't important...then you defintely shouldn't have a pet in the first place! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: garyr ()
Date: April 04, 2008 04:00AM

For me I have noticed how much faster alcohol hits me than it did on my SAD. Last time I had a beer I felt like I was nearly drunk after just one. Normally it'd take at least 3 to get that feeling.

However, I haven't given it up simply because for me it's a social thing. When I'm hanging out with my friends, I enjoy having a beer with them.

Gary

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables