Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New and full of questions...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2006 03:08AM

Hello everyone. I am new to the concept of eating raw and am intrigued by the before and after stories that I have read about.
I have 2 children, one of which is only 7 months old- ever since having him I have had a hard time getting back to my "old self" so to speak.
A lot of what I have read makes sense involving a raw diet, however, I must say- I have no idea where to start!!!
Honestly, most of the foods in the recipes I have never even heard of. (I guess that is pretty sad, huh?)
I was wondering if I could just start with basic fruits, veggies, etc. Has anyone else ever been in this situation?
I am also concerned about my blood sugars- from what I have read I can see how that would eventually level out and not be a problem. My question is how to deal with it during the beginning. Every time I eat a meal of fruit, with in 30 minutes or so I am hungry again and I feel like my blood sugars are off....how would I handle this.
I am also breastfeeding and I would think that would alter what I would need to eat as well.
Sorry for the messy post....I just have so many questions.
Thanks for any helpful advice!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New and full of questions...
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 05, 2006 04:59AM

I like the gradual approach. Maybe start with breakfast, eating only fruit. Over time, make some of your lunch be fruit or salad. For snacks, replace the snacks with fruit.

As you take each step of increasing the raw intake, give your body some time to adjust. Also with fruit, it helps to eat the same kind of fruit in a meal. So instead of eating a banana, orange, and apple, just eat 3 bananas for a meal. Over time, increase the amount of fruit in a meal.

Also eat salad with plenty of greens and non-sweet fruits like tomatoes and cucumbers. I like romaine lettuce and celery as my greens.

Learn about food combining for eating your cooked foods and raw foods (google it on the internet). Find out which fruits have more calories. Try not to overdo the raw fats.

Check out this raw food FAQ (Frequenty Asked Questions).

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 05, 2006 05:02AM

If you are eating fruits and getting hungry, eat more fruit. It takes some practice to eat enough fruits to satisfy your caloric needs, and fruit contain a lot of water. With practice it is possible to eat large fruit meals that satisfy. But when first starting, it make take a bunch of smaller meals.

Veggies don't have that many calories. What a lot of raw foodists do is to add fats to their veggies to increase the calories. However, this is often overdone and raw foodists end up with diets that are 60% or more of fat (as a percentage of calorie intake). You can use a nutritional calculator like [www.fitday.com] or [www.nutridiary.com] to check out the mix of calories in your raw diet. The fat intake should be under 20% of your calories for a healthy raw diet.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: June 05, 2006 06:28AM

I like simple fruits and veggies, and green smoothies (fruits blended with greens, like kale or celery). Good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 05, 2006 11:58AM

Thanks for the input! I appreciate it!

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 06, 2006 10:00PM

I've only been following this way of eating for about 2-3 weeks, but when I started out, I just went to salads for meals and fruit for breakfast and snacks. I ended up adding granola with breakfast and snacks. Lettuce wraps are quick and filling lunches. avacado slices, green pepper slices, fresh basil and cilantro with a few sliced mushrooms wrapped in lettuce leaves is really good. You could drizzle some olive oil and herb dressing over the veggies too, if you'd like to. I've mixed my own dressing with olive oil, apple cider vinegar and lots of herbs. it's really good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables