Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

does freezing hurt enzymes?
Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:42PM

How does freezing affect enzymes in a food? It would seem that it would harm certain healthy things in a food...How does it affect other nutritional components? Could someone enlighten me with some facts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2008 05:43PM by musicbebe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: does freezing hurt enzymes?
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 05, 2008 05:54PM

I think enzyme theory is bunk, so I won't speak to that. Fresh is normally best. There is some structural damage and nutrient loss. As far as nutrient loss goes, it can be far less than something picked from afar, shipped, and stored at the grocery store for a long time. I know that local frozen strawberries were MUCH more flavorful (and cheaper) than strawberries shipped in out-of-season from CA or wherever. But in that case, you may just decide to wait until berries are back in season--you have to weigh your options.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 05, 2008 06:10PM

When water freezes it expands and that is why people try not to have the water freeze in the pipes at home during freezing weather. When the pipes thaw out they may leak because they crack open and the water flows out through the cracks. High water content foods when frozen expand and crack the fiber containers they are in and when they are thawed out they become mushy as the water leaks out. I prefer not to freeze my fresh raw foods.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:15PM

Right. Get down to brass tacks. If YOU think frozen food is as vital and sustaining as fresh then go to town. If YOU don't think that...then why settle for 2nd class food? LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: April 05, 2008 10:47PM

And what if you believe in animal protien ?
People have to learn about things in order to determine what is most suitable for them I believe.

Date: April 05, 2008 10:53PM

Believe in animal protein? I believe it exists, and is great for the animal using it smiling smiley

I am not saying raw foods aren't great. There is just no scientific evidence for the idea of raw enzymes being the key to raw foods (some pseudo-scientific evidence, unreproducible). There is lots of scientific evidence for the other tons of health-promoting compounds in raw foods. And there is plenty of experiential evidence, from people here who have had really great things happen with raw foods. I think the latter is reason enough, so I'm not discouraging raw foods by any means, just being precise about things.

Date: April 05, 2008 11:14PM

Yes. This is a question (freezing) that often comes up. It's just ME....heh..heh....and my sense of humor. Every time I hear this question....it's like what I'm REALLY hearing: "How much can I get away with damaging my food....and still make it healthy?" Heh..heh.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Lanie ()
Date: April 05, 2008 11:32PM

< Believe in animal protein? I believe it exists, and is great for the animal using it smiling smiley >

Kudos for your post rost0037...well said!!!

Their skin, their fur, their LIVES are also great for them. To live and love and flourish on this planet as we do...no one has a right to take that away from them.

That said, I find fresh produce to be the best (and tastiest) way to go. Of course, given the choice between frozen fruit or "fresh" preserves, I'd opt for mushy blueberries any day of the week. (-:

~lanie

Date: April 06, 2008 12:03AM

Er.. my comment was in responce to davids one to go ahead and eat what ever food you feel is good for you. This statement sounds almost like there is no need to investigate the merits of food treatments etc because it all comes down to what ever you believe.

What I was meaning to point out is that I think the path of understanding what one feels is good for them involves exploring the nuances of the food and its nutritional values, including how different treatments effect it. Just because one ( believes animal protien is good for human consumption ) doesn't necessarily make it so IMO.

Date: April 06, 2008 12:30AM

Ha! Yes....my question was a very thinly veiled rhetorical one Lightform. I'm sure most people think fresh is better. I was more addressing the underlying thought inconsistency of THINKING one thing is good.....and rather SETTLING for something else....or actually doing the opposite. This is a problem...because even those with very good nutrition will still find a way to harm themselves....unless one develops the ability to be true to one's internal word....so to speak.

-I am sort of......of the opinion....that if one follows one's true joyous, passionate dreams.....then one WILL find the mechanics/nutrition to carry it out. But that the reverse (a perfect alignment of the proper nutrition and circumstances....does not NECESSARILY lead to perfect wholistic health).

-Just my thoughts/opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 06, 2008 01:53AM

Yeah I totaly agree with you on that one. One can conduct themselves with all the righteous and healthfull practices in the world, but if they are fighting something in their environment or within themselves then it will not provide a whole solution !

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 06, 2008 02:28AM

You do know that commercially frozen vegetables are usually blanched before freezing?

One might expect the heat of the blanching process to denature some of the enzymes, no?

Date: April 06, 2008 05:49AM

True on blanching, not raw. Fruits are not normally blanched--not cooked, not fresh. It is a compromise, but sometimes we take a compromise because it's better than another choice, and only we can be the judge of that.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: April 06, 2008 06:56PM

Thank you all for your comments. To further clarify my question, I am asking, because a lot of raw dishes, like ice creams and sorbets involve freezing a fresh fruit in order to make the frozen dish. I definitely believe that fresh is best, but I want to know exactly what nutrients I am adversly affecting while doing so. For instance, raw foodists say that cooking destroys 70 percent of nutrients, all enzymes and creates dangerous chemical compounds (I may have those numbers wrong--cause it's just off the top of my head, but you get what I mean). Can anyone give me a similar fact sheet on what freezing does to a food? Thanks!

Date: April 06, 2008 07:30PM

Here's one article you can look at:

[www.extension.umn.edu]

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: April 07, 2008 02:49AM

I agree with dzm that to be true to our "internal world" over "the perfect alignment of the proper nutrition and circumstances" (as if this were even possible) will always prove best in the end.

My response to the "animal protein" comment was not from a place of "righteousness" either...just don't believe our fellow animals are food is all, like many others on this vegan forum. No judgment or disrespect for anyone else's views intended.

~lanie

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: April 07, 2008 03:25AM

Lanie Wrote:

> My response to the "animal protein" comment was
> not from a place of "righteousness" either...just
> don't believe our fellow animals are food is all,
> like many others on this vegan forum. No judgment
> or disrespect for anyone else's views intended.
>
> ~lanie

Yeah, seemed like a "peacefulness" approach, not a righteousness approach. Are non-murderers considered "self-righteous"?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 07, 2008 12:30PM

DMZ

that was a crazy article
if i ever read one

Date: April 07, 2008 08:23PM

"Crazy" is an understatement dzm. Article's pretty twisted if you ask me.

<Blanching also helps to destroy microorganisms on the surface of the vegetable and to make some vegetables, such as broccoli and spinach, more compact.>

Yeah, also destroys a few other things like, oh I don't know, nutrients, fibers...TASTE. Maybe we should alert our poor unsuspecting animal friends out there of all those dangerous microorganisms they're ingesting.

<Some directions for freezing fruits also include temporary measures to control enzyme-activated browning. Such temporary measures include soaking the fruit in dilute vinegar solutions or coating the fruit with sugar and lemon juice.>

Yum!! Nothing like a bowl of vinegar and sugar-coated berries to start one's day off on the right foot. (-:

Sigh...the things people do in the name of science.

~lanie

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 07, 2008 08:39PM

There's a good breakdown of how different temperatures (cooking/freezing) affect vitamin content of food on nutritiondata.com. Freezing, on average, depletes the food's nutritional value by about 5%, which is miniscule compared to what heat does.

I'd take fresh berries over frozen berries ANY day of the week--in fact, I won't even touch frozen berries, since berries are quite abundant in North America...

...but I'd die before giving up my durian, even if frozen durian is the only kind I can ever experience (I'll pass on freeze-dried, thanks).

So, analyze your needs, your situation, and do what makes you feel best!

My roommate doesn't want the hassle of dealing with fresh produce that spoil quickly, so he rarely buys any--but he keeps a plethora of frozen fruits in the freezer and really thrives on those smoothies for breakfast. Fruit > no fruit. =D

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 07, 2008 10:19PM

phantom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a good breakdown of how different
> temperatures (cooking/freezing) affect vitamin
> content of food on nutritiondata.com. Freezing, on
> average, depletes the food's nutritional value by
> about 5%, which is miniscule compared to what heat
> does.

Thanks, Phantom, most excellent. I do frozen berries
because I can't afford fresh most times of the year
and I still want to eat them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables