Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what causes gas?
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: April 08, 2008 04:15AM

both me and my 2 yp daughter have had it pretty bad lately. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what causes gas?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: April 08, 2008 04:47AM

Practice food combining, and any gas problems ought to go away. If that doesn't work, then try mono-eating your foods. Mono eating is eating just one food until you are full, and then waiting until your stomach empties before eating another food.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 08, 2008 07:32AM

It's from too much fiber. You could try monoeating raw cabbage, just until you are full, and tell me what happens. smiling smiley

I think the only way monoeating might help is if you stop eating the food with too much indigestibles sooner rather than later.

We learn to tolerate larger quantities gradually but even after many years there are still some foods I have to avoid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 07:35AM by arugula.

Posted by: Walkern ()
Date: April 08, 2008 11:10AM

I had gas even when i was on a my 10th day of dry fast so it might be not as directly related to food. it didn't smell bad though.
Btw i do enjoy mono eating lots of raw red cabbage and have no gas from it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2008 11:18AM by Walkern.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: April 08, 2008 02:00PM

May also be related to fermentation of matter that ideally should have been eliminated or maybe not even be present in our body in the first place.

Think of what happens if you had your lunch in a sealed plastic bag and forgot it in your car for a few days--during the summer of all times. Not only would it begin to decompose, but the bag may likely swell due to gases created as a result of the process.

In humans, there are vent pipes, so to speak, that help get rid of these gases--above, via the mouth or through the other exit--if the routes are clear enough. Otherwise pressure builds up, similar to what happened with the lunch bag and there's the discomfort associated with the gas.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 03:25PM

It could be a particular food that's doing it.

For me it's apples. Maybe try rotating a few suspect items out for a few days and see what happens.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 03:43PM

Everything everyone has said--basically, if you can't digest something (forreasons given above and/or others), the bacteria in your gut will digest it for you => smelly by-product. Like Pistachio said. Why you can't digest could be lots of reasons. I have horrible digestion when I overeat, it's just too much.

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 03:46PM

Can overeating cause constipation as well?

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: April 08, 2008 05:09PM

Everyone new to raw, or going through a cleansing period, seems to go through a few weeks of digestional upset with gas and stuff while the their digestive tract gets a chance to clean itself up with the sudden increase in fiber.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: April 08, 2008 05:49PM

When I overeat a lot I can get constipated. I have tracked and sometimes I'll have eaten 3500 calories and 150 g fiber--it's just way too much to be moved along. Fiber's not the issue, I just have to listen to my body.

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: April 08, 2008 06:52PM

What causes a lot of gas in all three of us are dried apricots. It helps to soak them though.

Fiber is an issue, and food combinations. Like acid fruits (oranges, apples etc) after dried fruits, or fresh fruits after bananas or starchy vegetables. These are the worst for us.

Greenpower

Visit my website and my blog!

[www.natureshealingsecrets.com] (closed on Sundays)

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 09, 2008 12:39AM

Overeating, eating late, or eating cooked (even steamed veggies) doom me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables