Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Liver advice
Posted by: ambaryarena ()
Date: April 11, 2008 03:21AM

Hi guys--
I have been raw going on a year but think my liver might still be experiencing a toxic state--not sure why exactly--I don't (and didn't drink) or engage in rec. drugs...but a few things have tipped me off ( I think)

- ionic foot bath during which I excreted A LOT of bile-looking-like, brownish, orange foam-y disgustingness
- after consuming 1/4 of an avocado two days in a row following a month juice feast, my acne has returned to my left cheek (known in Chinese medicine as corresponding to the liver)
- feeling bloated after eating

So I think I would like to try eating liver-helping foods and maybe taking some milk thistle. Any suggestions for speciic brands of milk thistle or foods? I've read about Liver Rescue III (from the same people who make Vitamineral Green) but I wanted to ask you all first.

Thanks for any/all advice.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liver advice
Date: April 11, 2008 09:51PM

Bump smiling smiley

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:02PM

I start every day with a pint of hot water with the juice of half a lime (nicer than lemon I think) squeezed into it. this is really lovely and is supposed to be a great way to start the day for your liver.

Posted by: blue_butterfly ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:03PM

I've been taking Liver Health by Gaia Herbs and it has helped a lot...I've only been taking it for about a week. Here's a link to it: [www.swansonvitamins.com]

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:18PM

coconut water, fresh turmeric, and loads of cilantro!!!

ionic footbaths may be bunk. check out: [www.marystaggsdetox.com]

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 11, 2008 10:54PM

Ooh! I wonder if feeling bloated is a sign that my liver is going through some sort of detox right now?

ambaryarena, there has been some talk recently in another thread about collecting nettles and eating them fresh. Do you have them growing near where you live?

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: April 11, 2008 11:08PM

Thanks for the suggestion guys. I went to a healthfood store and bought a blend of milk thistle, dandelion, and other herbs...Hopefully this will help...The lemon and hot water idea I have heard of before too.

Unfortunately it's sleeting in Minnesota now..so no signs of nettles here...

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions welcome... Does anyone have experience having a hard time digesting fats and using liver supporting herbs or foods to help?

Posted by: bellefleur ()
Date: April 11, 2008 11:44PM

I did a liver detox a few months ago - relied heavily on herbs and a fairly limited diet for several weeks - not entirely raw, because I was following Ayurvedic advice at the time. Herbs used were goldenseal, echinacea, turmeric, milk thistle, & dandelion - also aloe juice two to three times daily. Goldenseal & echinacea, being very antibiotic, shouldn't be used longer than a few days to a week (IIRC, echinacea can be taken longterm if you also take regular breaks from it). I used tinctures & added to lukewarm water or aloe juice. The detox brought up ALL KINDS of stuff for me, emotionally (mostly anger & resentment), but was worth it. I processed some deep-seated stuff that I might otherwise not have faced. It was also, understandably, very draining. I'm glad I did it, but I was also glad when I was done.

Date: April 11, 2008 11:47PM

Thanks bellefleur-- could you give the specifics of what you took on the liver diet? I would greatly appreciate it! Did you avoid particular foods? (Other than fats, alcohol, drugs...)

Thanks!

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 12, 2008 12:12AM

I did the liver cleanse from Andreas Morritz -book: The amazing liver and gallbladder flush. Just wonderful. And I eat a lot of beets that is very good for the liver.

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 02:20AM

Milk thistle is great for the liver - it's a cleanser & protector. I usually get the Solaray brand at the health food store.

I did Dr. Sandra Cabot's liver detox some years ago and it really worked well.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:56AM

There are a lot of liver cleanses with olive oil, lemon, and apple juice (MAY be vinegar)--if you google the ingredients, you may find something. I haven't tried any of them personally.

Lemon (or lime, I'm guessing highly alkaline citrus in general) water first thing in the morning before you eat is supposed to stimulate cleansing as well.

Good luck!

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: April 13, 2008 11:45AM

interesting bellefleur, i take ayurvedic herbs (although i keep the raw thing going, my practitioner works around it!) and the liver cleanse i did felt mild physically but put me on a serious emotional rollercoaster. i definitely felt like i got rid of a lot of anger. amazing!

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:31PM

Hi,

I'd like to express my opinion/ observation on the matter:

1.I noticed/ sensed that one of the objectives of "fixing" of the liver dis-ease state is, so You can eat high fat content food. Which in fact could be one of the biggest possible causes for ill condition of your Liver.

**I think it is a good place to ask some questions.
like: is Liver cleanse supposed to alleviate ill conditions that came to exist through inadequate food consumption, so we can continue on eating in an unhealthy way, amount, conditions, or emotional state..?**

*How far can that take Me?*
*does that way of thinking assist me in achieving my life goals?*

2. Liver together with kidneys are working NON STOP in our bodies cleaning blood, lymph,.. as fast as they can, producing NO External symptoms of such action.
Only when working beyond their capacity/ ability, an emergency way of excreting toxicity, like through, skin, mucus, congestion(nose, ears, throat) always accompanied by various other conditions, like pains, aches, skin rushes, acidic, smelly sweat etc.

*Any signs of "Detox" is basically signal to Yourself, that: Whatever You are doing MAKES Your body respond/React to it in THOSE SPECIFIC Set of Symptoms*.
Try Changing Your "diet guidelines",
Remember,that 20, 30, 40 Years of poisoning oneself should take about as much time to clean yourself off of toxic residue..

GOOD THING IS, that from the VERY FIRST MOMENT Of doing the right thing as to Your current conditions and state of health permits, You will feel GREAT, and BETTER EVERY DAY..
To the point of not going "After" a detox/ relieving from symptoms, only after How to create an OPTIMUM Conditions for MY VERY OWN BODY, and conditions(read :Yours) to thrive, and detox at the same time.!
:-)

*Ask Precise questions, and answer will be given to You*, Often from within, as such is THE BEST Source.
* I Can point you to the most essential of all, without which rarely can one achieve balance:
1. Regulate your Sleep/Rest patterns "SUFFICIENT" IS THE Guideline Here.
2. Regulate Your Eating patterns. Whatever regime You have chosen, be Consequent., So You can make Your own conclusions. Stick to The Plan.
As DMZ Says: Set Your own achievable goals, time frame....
2.Get a Sufficient amount of Hydration. Eating Very high content fat, or protein food(even raw!) Can dehydrate you as well, especially if you have already ill conditions in liver, kidneys.
And STOP You from Getting any better results..
*Doing the wrong thing and the right thing at the same time rarely produces predictable/Desirable results*

Your body needs more than double the amount of water in order to remove toxins from the body: Over acidification of blood causes liver/kidneys to stop the detox, in order not to burn your internal urinary tract with acid)
Emergency ways start to be used, like: sweat, that can carry more acidic toxins without going through kidneys.
You may get rush, skin outbreaks, but You'll Live(..)

On a "better" plan You CAN Achieve Peace faster.., But, Sometimes Pain IS What we need to learn From.
Consuming more WATER content food(fruit vs. vegetables), consuming salads/ insoluble fiber foods, that go through Your system Cause more toxins leave Your body as it is supposed to..
High Protein/Fat Foods require A LOT OF Water to be digested, "moved" through our internal system.
SO MUCH In fact, that if You haven't provided/Your Body does not have sufficient amount of water readily available for digestion It WILL BE PULLED From tissues, intestines(...), causing for food to stay in one place for too long: allowing it to ferment, and root, producing quickly enormous amounts of bacteria.., other parasites..
"Overloading Your body", therefore producing Conditions for Liver, and kidneys to be "clogged"/Being Unable to dilute and remove any more toxins > and Your body having to use "EMERGENCY" route, one of several that it has prepared..

I Suppose in Your case it is Acne.

If one wants to get healthy, it will be much faster when pursued through HEALTHY HABITS, Diet, Exercise, than by:
Less Unhealthy Food, Less unhealthy amounts of Fat, Less damaging exercise patterns...

"unfortunately" RAW Does NOT Mean HEALTHY.

For Most Part It IS HEALTHIER,
But Fortunately We KNOW That AMOUNT, Quality, Time of ingestion, Speed at which You Eat food, as well, as Emotional state, (in a way directing a speed of chewing, or swallowing, and secretion of digestive acids/ juices) IS SO IMPORTANT, THAT You Could as easily get sick on overeating "improperly" unbalanced raw Food" As Well as some Prisoners during 2nd. World War have eaten Poisonous seeds in a such way so it did not kill them..

Consider More than one Ill internal organ as well as some part of yourself(your character) to be creating conditions for imbalance: DisEase to "sprout"

Also whoever gave you diagnosis and pointed you toward only one internal organ may have not fully understood, that human being begins with Mind(emotions, character), and ends on physical living "team" of dozens of smaller "systems", made of MANY internal organs.
ALWAYS when one is sick, others are also experiencing dis-ease having to work much harder trying to keep up in a non specialized manner(without proper/optimal tools).

*One for All , All For One*

For a Health(plant) to grow, just as optimal conditions must be met as for dis Ease(Weed) to "grow"(Exist).
Only For Health You have to work on creating the right conditions, and for disEase it is Enough that You don't take care of Yourself, Or: Ignore Your Wholeness being You: Emotional, proper nourishment, rest/sleep patterns.
Listen to what others are saying ONLY To use that as a Starting point for Your Very OWN state of Balanced , Healthy conditions to LIVE .. not live, or to THRIVE, not to "just" survive.

I Believe eating high fat and protein content food creates Very Unbalanced, Overacidified, Dangerous conditions for your body to be living/functioning in.
Conditions to which it had not been able to adapt for a long time(thousands of years)

One can survive on such diets, but that comes with price, and sacrifices on a bodies internal organs, and emotional swings..

I believe Living on Earth should be as far from surviving, or existing as it can.

If You hold the key and knowledge to create conditions for Yourself, and Your Family to LIVE, CREATE, THRIVE.. How long will You "JUST" Hold It, and let it waste?

I Know it takes Time, But in a Meanwhile spread the word, experience what You're missing.. Maybe That'll speed Up Your decision making process..? :-))
;-)

Health, Wellbeing is like pendulum, set off in an uncontrollable motion by doing "unconscious" bad to your body.
Since we ARE ONE with our mind/spirit, Also Our Mental/emotional state will be thrown Off, in an unknown direction, creating nervousness, anger, /other different feelings that would never came to mind if peace and harmony would exist in physical body.

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Date: April 14, 2008 01:17AM

Umm...quite honestly, I don't think asking to eat 1/4 of an avocado without having the whole left side of my face break out is asking too much...

I've started taking a blend of liver helping herbs (turmeric, milk thistle, dandelion, etc) and this seems to be helping A LOT-- no new acne since I started it 3 days ago and everything is healing nicely...

I understand your point, Witarianin, but I'm not planning on cleaning up my liver so that I can eat McDonald's (blech)... I think it needs serious help and I'm happy I've finally recognized what's going on in my body.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:25AM

I'd advise Dr. Schulze's liver cleanse. He advises --and I strongly agree -- that the first step to cleansing the liver is cleansing the colon.

I don't like his colon cleanse because it has psyllium, but his herbs are generally much better quality than the other commercial stuff out there. He tests for potency and recommends much higher dosages. I think as a herbalist he knows his stuff.

As a colon cleanse, and as important, a parasite cleanse, I like the awareness herbs:
[www.liveyoung.awarenesslife.com]

They have a product called Experience which cleanses and tones the colon and intestines, and another product, Clear, which is a dynamite parasite cleanse. They don't market Clear as a parasite cleanse any more but it is. I don't know about the rest of their products. And I'm not crazy about the fact that it's an MLM, but those two products are the best I've come across.

Anyhow, I would order the Schulze liver cleanse herbs and the Experience/Clear combo and do all of them.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: April 14, 2008 01:51AM

"Umm...quite honestly, I don't think asking to eat 1/4 of an avocado without having the whole left side of my face break out is asking too much..."

I hear ya. I've read about people eating much more coconut oil in one sitting and others applauding that. Yuck.

I have liver and gallbladder damage from a life threatening bout of hepatitis and I can eat a couple of avocados in one sitting -- not every day mind you, but every now and then. (Liver + gallbladder damage = reduced capacity to process fats.)

Let us know how things go.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables