Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Comfort food when sick?
Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: April 11, 2008 03:03PM

I was wondering whether any of you could share what comfort foods you enjoy, when you are feeling sick. I have a sore throat, and normally that would mean a delicious creamy (vegan) potato soup, and hot orange juice! Thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comfort food when sick?
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 11, 2008 03:08PM

I've had a huge snotty sickness in response to < 24 hours of water fasting, and have been CRAVING soup. Less is more, though, when you are ill--it's best to eat lightly and simply to free more energy from digestion to healing.

So, to answer your question, I went to the local juice bar and slurped down a big, fresh squeezed apple juice.

(In fact, it is SO yummy, I think I am going to get off the computer and get one right now!!)

But juice is very soothing. It's the most gentle kind of power... if that makes sense.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: April 11, 2008 03:54PM

I use to have some hot soup when sick and thought of it as a "comfort" food but my thinking had been changing since eating raw foods. When sick one should take it easy on the body and fast or drink juice. I would think a tea would be soathing on a sore throat. Hope you start feeling better.
love pam

Posted by: warm-glow ()
Date: April 11, 2008 04:15PM

carrot/yellow beet/celery juice

Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: April 11, 2008 04:31PM

i am recovering from one of the worst sinus infections of my life and i gave into what my body was craving just because i felt so crappy. i had veggie pad thai and hot lemon honey water two days in a row. i felt a little sick after but, at the time, it's what i wanted

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 11, 2008 06:59PM

Posted by: Lollipop (IP Logged)
Date: April 11, 2008 08:03AM

what comfort foods you enjoy, when you are feeling sick. I have a sore throat

When I have a sore throat or cold I like to drink the juice of fresh Oranges and Garlic pushed through my Champion juicer. Use as much garlic in the juice as you can and still enjoy drinking it because in my opinion the garlic is magic. Drink the fresh made juice immediately when made. Chug it. :-)

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 11, 2008 07:35PM

Juices feel *very* nice on the throat, too. =)

Posted by: cy ()
Date: April 11, 2008 07:37PM

I do the master cleanser recipe: warm water,lemon juice,1 T maple syrup and cayenne pepper.

Posted by: the enchantress ()
Date: April 12, 2008 02:19PM

If you REALLY want soup, I like miso soup. You can just heat the water until it's warm, then put it in the blender with some fresh garlic and ginger. Or just drink it hot winking smiley. That, and - if you can muster up the energy when sick to bust out the juicer - make orange-carrot-ginger juice.

Posted by: Lollipop ()
Date: April 13, 2008 03:58AM

Thank you all for your suggestions - I am definitely going to have to try more of them! This morning I ended up having a banana smoothie, and that felt good - kind of had the same consistency as the potato soup!

The other ideas for liquid refreshments sound good. Normally I ONLY drink water, but when I'm sick, it's the very last thing I want. I know I'm beginning to feel better when I want to drink water again!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: April 13, 2008 08:34AM

hi lollipop

hope u feel better
sore throats sure are a drag

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: April 13, 2008 10:09AM

I don't think anything beats a hot vegetable soup with lots of aromatics: onion, green onion, garlic, leek, celery, parsnip, carrot, celeriac, bay leaf, and lots of other good stuff like tomato, potato sweet or otherwise, squash, cabbage, spinach, etc.. Those aromatics really clean out the pipes.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 13, 2008 05:41PM

Before being raw,it was tomato soup,grilled cheese sandwich,and grape juice.
Thats what my mother fixed when I stayed home from school.
Now?
I guess it would be something dipped in avocado dip.
I am loving avocados now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2008 05:42PM by Raw1228.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables