Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nature valley granola bars
Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 06, 2006 09:50PM

Are these concidered a raw food? I don't know that they are cooked at all or if they contain animal by-products. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nature valley granola bars
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 06, 2006 10:47PM

No. They are cooked.

-David Mason

Date: June 06, 2006 11:37PM

ok. thanks for the information.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 07, 2006 01:33AM

Luna,

All granolas are baked, so granola bars are baked stuff stuck together with other stuff.

Unless something is in the produce bins, it's probably a good idea to not assume it's raw unless it's labeled "raw" or "sundried" (for example, some of the seaweeds are sundried), or unless it's organic dried fruit. I consider cold pressed olive oil to be raw.

Cashews are often labeled "raw" even though they are not. If you like cashews, you might check out the cashews article on this website to help ensure you get cashews that are really raw.

To find out if something packaged or canned contains meat or dairy products, always read the label. Many of the Nature Valley granola bars are made with yogurt, and they might also have whey (another dairy product).

Carry on, -Ally

Date: June 07, 2006 01:51AM

ok. my kids love them is why I was asking. I use granola out of our health food stores bins, but if it's not in bar form, my kids don't think it's granola.LOL! !

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 07, 2006 02:18AM

After rereading my previous post, I think I should correct something. Instead of saying "produce bins", I should have said "produce section", which of course is not the same thing as the "bulk" bin section of a health food store where the bulk granola is usually located.

Sorry. Just wanted to make sure I put that out correctly.

Of course, the flours and cornmeal, and stuff like that are raw, even though they're not labeled raw, but I wouldn't want to eat them.

I tried soaking the raw oatmeal and eating it a couple of times, but through this website, I now understand the oatmeal is not actually raw, so no more of that for me.

Probably the tabouli you find in the bins (or the box) is not raw but has been parboiled.

Enough already!

Love, Ally

Date: June 07, 2006 01:34PM

Our food store is set up in sections. I use what is in the bins in the vegitarian/vegan section of our store. I guess I'm so used to that I forget to mention the way the store is set up. sorry 'bout that!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables