Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

frequent urination
Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 01:16PM

I'm sure this topic has come up before....can anyone please guide me to the link if frequent urination on the raw food diet has been discussed before?

I usually get an urge to urinate several times a day and if I don't RUN to the bathroom, I may have an accident : /

This started for me in November when I started to eat a high fruit diet.

Does anyone else experience frequent and sudden urges to urinate? or is this a sign of something wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: frequent urination
Posted by: tanawana ()
Date: April 15, 2008 01:27PM

Common train of thought, actually from Dr. Graham, is to go between 8-12 times a day. BUT, everyone will have an opinion, right or wrong, unfortunately. Find out what everyone bases their opinion on and decide for yourself then :O)

Ofcourse, if you have other troubles, you need to address that. Get professional help, not just an opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 01:28PM by tanawana.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: April 15, 2008 01:53PM

High water content food are going to put more water into your body and what goes in must come out. I try to catch an early signal which is not to strong as I realize that if signals are ignored they come back stronger and stronger until they are finally heeded.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: April 15, 2008 02:06PM

Young coconut water does that to me.

Fruit is mostly water, so if you are getting a lot more water compared to what your intake used to be, running to the washroom is probably what will happen.

The urgency, though, is something I can't speak for. If you have other symptoms, though, I would suggest keeping an eye on that.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: April 15, 2008 02:17PM

I don't have a problem with the urgency, but I noticed since I've been 100% raw that I usually have to urinate about fifteen minutes after eating each meal.

Can you possibly use the bathroom not long after each meal and see if that helps? Maybe like someone pointed out, you aren't experiencing the need to urinate until it's too late?

Lots of love to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: April 15, 2008 02:27PM

Right. This issue is non-related (in my opinion) to fruit eating. But the high water content might exacerbate an existing health condition. Just set yourself up a regimen to urinate more frequently. Perhaps once per hour during the day is not unreasonable.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Stormyone66 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 04:33PM

I have the same issue. Whenever I consume mostly fruit, I just have to pee all the time. Not sure what to do about that faucet effect except try and be near a bathroom. It's kind of annoying, but eating a typical SAD meal just leaves me feeling sleepy...so, would rather make the trips to the bathroom than fall asleep.

Posted by: hyldemoer ()
Date: April 15, 2008 05:51PM

I'm surprised no one has yet to have mentioned the possibility of diabetes.

The test for diabetes is a simple one easily done in a dr.'s office.

Those who are diagnosed diabetic can still drink fruit juices. They just have to monitor their blood sugar a lot and carefully plan accordingly.

Posted by: madinah ()
Date: April 15, 2008 05:55PM

One solution is to eat less frequently, reduces your meal to 3 or 2 a day, practice daily long dry fasting period. Most people on raw food eat constantly because they think they are eating fruit which take less time to digest but the body has to process the water. I stop eating at 3 pm and with that came less need to urinate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2008 05:56PM by madinah.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: April 15, 2008 06:51PM

After I eat cooked, the next few days I have to pee a lot. It feels like I am flushing out the less desirable foods. When I first went raw I was eating more cooked and detoxing more often. I had the same problems as you are, including the urgency. It has gotten a lot better. It doesn't happen to me if I am very high raw and I rarely have the urgency problem any more.

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: April 15, 2008 07:00PM

If it's an uncomfortable feeling, and one of urgency and also if it's often but with little output then it could be due to a mineral imbalance or maybe even some blockages with small stones, grit coming from kidneys and going thru those tubes and to the bladder..hopefully to the bladder, but that small stuff can get stuck and slow things down. Also it irritates the bladder and you get that feeling of urgency a most uncomfortable feeling. Also, if kidneys are overworking due to what you are eating, drinking, supplementing with then that also could be the issue.

In addition you might think about the source of your drinking water, how clean it is, and if kidneys are overworking due to the toxins in your drinking water then that may be the issue..that, or any of the above..or even other things as stated.

I find that if I'm drinking and or eating fresh raw foods, pure water, it's nothing like an uncomfortable feeling, or spasms, or urgency..with little output. My bladder is calm, holding much, and no urgency..with no leakages.

Love,
Prism

Date: April 15, 2008 07:16PM

Old habits need to be revised, on raw, we do not need to drink water as much as when we were on SAD. The water in the raw food is clean and best. Animals in the wild do not drink that much.

Posted by: No5 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 08:09PM

It is my experience that frequent and urgent urination can be directly related to high fruit consumption. Some individuals claim that the cause is always due to other issues and not high fruit itself. I would prefer it if that were the case since I like the simplicity of the high fruit diet. However, that is just a theory supported by more belief than fact. My practical experiences with high fruit diets contradict that theory at least as far as my body is concerned.

For example, one argument is that high water content is solely responsible for this issue. Consequently, I experimented with eating a low fruit diet that has the same water content as a high fruit diet. I verified this using tools like nutritiondata.com. I also ensured that I didn't bias the results by adding any substances that cause water retention or release such as salt.

It is true that both of these diets cause higher urination volume than a low water content diet. That is obvious. However, volume is not directly proportional to frequency and urgency. It is only on the high fruit diet that I noticed a significant increase in frequency and urgency. I would go from no urge to immediate urge in a very short period of time. This was particularly noticeable when I began waking up in the middle of the night to urinate. With a low fruit diet I can actually watch a movie without having to leave the theater to urinate. The volume is there but my bladder can hold it until I'm ready.

Another argument is that stress or other non-tangible factors are the problem. This seems plausible until you realize that these factors remained constant across both my low fruit diet and my high fruit diet. Another argument is that there is some underlying health issue that is only exposed on a high fruit diet. At some point you have to question why it's only exposed on a high fruit diet.

I have also noticed other symptoms that only happen for me on a high fruit diet. There are only so many dietary variations you can try before you begin to narrow down the fact that there are certain symptoms which only appear to be correlated with high fruit.

Some things can't be reduced to health mistakes. Some things are health designs. Some people just aren't made to eat certain things. Other people do great on a high fruit diet and I would advise them to appreciate that fact. They also need to realize that a diet that works for them is not proof that the diet works for everyone. However, a diet that fails for even one person IS proof that this diet doesn't work for everyone. And there are several people who have failed to thrive on a high fruit diet.

My advice? Don't believe me. Don't believe anyone and definitely don't trust theories. Know the truth for yourself by experimenting and listening to your own body. Just my two non-contraversial-as-usual cents...

smiling smiley

Date: April 16, 2008 02:14AM

Since this thread got started I have been (1) taking notice of what I am eating on a daily basis and (2) especially the foods that make me go "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" when I eat them. The answer to the first question is that almost all my foods are high water content foods with the exceptions being bananas, avocados, and seeds. The answer to the second question is the high water content foods. You put that together with the fact that I really like the refreshing taste of clean water and drink lots everyday and you have a lot of liquid passing through my system. I eat and drink a lot of pure water foods and water and I guess that has to come out in about the same quantities it is going in.

Posted by: hemp0la ()
Date: April 16, 2008 02:39AM

I probably pee about 20 times per day. This is relatively normal for me - I drink at least 3L of water daily in addition to lots of fruit and veg.

Date: April 16, 2008 03:44AM

Why drink so much water when you are already eating a lot of fruits.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: April 16, 2008 03:15PM

I like peeing alot. When I do watermelon juice fasts I do all the time. I like it.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:13PM

I wouldnt worry

eating SAD low water content crap for years.. your bound to go more eating water rich foods!

check your blood sugar if your worried, takes two minutes

I go all day long!

Posted by: redstar_38 ()
Date: April 16, 2008 08:33PM

Thanks everyone for your variety of thoughtful answers!
I think i am going to heed the call of nature when it calls the first time!

I thought it could be diabetes..but I don't feel any other symptoms. My energy is great!

: )
I'm so happy to be here!

Date: April 16, 2008 10:49PM

Posted by: madinah (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2008 08:44PM

Why drink so much water when you are already eating a lot of fruits.

An interesting thing has been happening to me lately involving this very question. I have found myself replacing many of my small mono meals with a glass of clean water and not missing the meals at all. I think it is because the high water content meals and a glass of clean water have more in common then they do differences. A glass of sipped clean water leaves my palette so refreshed and cleansed that it makes a perfect pause in the mono meals that I eat all day long and when I start my next mono meal I am ready for the food. It just keeps getting better as I continue to experiment with this lifestyle. :=)

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 17, 2008 12:40AM

I realize now that I was probably dehydrated when I ate SAD. I didn't urinate that much because my diet was not very hydrating. I started eating raw in July 2007 and the first few months I was urinating quite frequently. I still urinate more frequently but not as much when I first transitioned to high raw.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables