Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is this food raw?
Posted by: marika ()
Date: June 07, 2006 01:57AM

NATURE'S PATH Organic Manna Bread (sun seed). Is it a raw food? Does anyone know more about this specific product?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this food raw?
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 07, 2006 03:31AM

I would say it's not a raw food unless the ingredients are labeled raw, which maybe they are, but I kind of doubt it. I think I checked it out some time very very long ago.

www.unitedbuyingclubs.com has a short history of the company and they say, "when the Stephens family baked its first product, Manna Bread. . . " (Notice the word "baked"winking smiley

Even though the company claims to have followed the original Essene gospel recipe, I think they really only followed it as far as using sprouted grains and not using yeast.

If you follow the real Essene Gospel recipe in its entirety, you will get a flatbread, more like a tortilla. It's really very delicious, very good whole wheat flavor, holds together well, and great with avocado, tomato, and sprouts, although I haven't made it for years. Hmm, now that it's not raining anymore, I think I'll make some!

Here is the original recipe in it's entirety:

"Let the angels of God prepare your bread. Moisten your wheat, that the angel of water may enter it. Then set it in the air, that the angel of air also may embrace it. And leave it from morning to evening beneath the sun, that the angel of sunshine may descend upon it. And the blessing of the three angels will soon make the germ of life to sprout in your wheat. Then crush your grain, and make thin wafers, as did your forefathers when they departed out of Egypt, the house of bondage. Put them back again beneath the sun from its appearing, and when it (the sun) is risen to its highest in the heavens, turn them over on the other side that they be embraced there also by the angel of sunshine, and leave them there until the sun be set. For the angels of water, of air, and of sunshine fed and ripened the wheat in the field, and they, likewise, must prepare also your bread. And the same sun which, with the fire of life, made the wheat to grow and ripen, must cook your bread with the same fire. For the fire of the sun gives life to the wheat, to the bread, and to the body. And the living angels of the living God serve only living men. For God is the God of the living, and not the God of the dead."

Kind of inspiring isn't it?

I used a serabachi (a corrugated bowl-did I spell it right?) and pestle to hand-crush the wheat. Serabachis are usually available at health food stores or Japanese stores.

The recipe says to "make thin wafers". I made the wafers by spreading the crushed sprouted wheat on a cookie sheet. They were about the size and thickness of a corn tortilla, and I think they shrank just a little bit as they dried.

To turn them over when the sun "is risen to its highest in the heavens", I used a spatula.

Peace and love to you Marika!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2006 03:36AM by Ally.

Date: June 07, 2006 03:45PM

My dad says it is baked or dehydrated at such a low temperature it doesn't destroy the enzymes...I know this is possible to do. Juliano has a recipe for the essene bread in his cook book and it looks very similar to this manna bread. I think that it is possible to have it more of a "bread" conistency rather than flat bread. I have had flat essene bread too. Both are great. I am just wondering more about this product though- like what temperatures its made at exactly...i mean its not made like bread- there aren't any eggs or yeast or anything...i am still not sure. I will probably only eat a little of it anyway.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 07, 2006 06:50PM

Marika, I wasn't really sure either, so I emailed Nature's Path last night. Their reply came in already this morning (credit to them for their promptness).

I asked them, "Is the Manna Bread cooked or raw?" They replied:

"The bread is made from sprouted whole grains and baked at a temperature higher than 120F. (about 335 degrees F.) The product is baked at a termperature lower than conventional bread but it is not a raw food. Precise temperatures and length of baking time is considered confidential recipe information.
Kind regards,
Beverley
Consumer Services - Nature's Path Foods"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At a temperature of "about 335 degrees F", the enzymes are destroyed. The stuff ain't raw, but they seem like nice people.

Aloha, -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2006 06:54PM by Ally.

Date: June 08, 2006 10:55PM

Alrighty. Thank you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables