Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic fruits
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 07, 2006 04:51PM

What is the difference between organic fruits and non-organic? I am a student so I cant always afford the higher prices of organic produce sold in New York. There is an asian market I go to that sells non-organic produce for much cheaper so I was wondering.... for fruits or veggies that have removable skins..like bananas or avocados, the pesticides are taken care of when we remove the skin right? Also in terms of nutrients, how much more dense are organic versus non-organic fruits/veggies?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic fruits
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 07, 2006 07:18PM

It's not just the pesticides, it's herbicides and conventional fertilizers, which are for the most part petroleum based.

In the USA, there are no restrictions whatsoever on what can be put in a fertilizer. I believe it was in Washington state just a few years ago where it was discovered that fertilizer companies were buying hazardous waste to use as a filler.

I believe Canada's laws on fertilizer ingredients are more restrictive.

Organically certified farmers have to show what fertilizers they are using, and keep purchasing receipts and labels as proof. Almost all packaged fertilizers used by organic farmers have now been approved by Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI), a private entity that is paid by the fertilizer company to analyze their fertilizer for nonorganic substances (like synthetic chemicals).

My suggestion is to buy organic when you can afford it. It's not just best for you, it's best for the planet.

Aloha, Ally

Re: Organic fruits
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 07, 2006 08:26PM

thanks ally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables