Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Growing watercress, chinese celery
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: April 23, 2008 04:45AM

I recently had some watercress, and when I finished I saved the root ball and planted it. Its one of the live hydroponically grown packs. I have never tried growing watercress, but thought it would be interesting to try. First of all, does anyone know if the root ball will regrow leaves? Or is that it after you cut the roots down? I placed it into a small bowl with sand, some organic mater and filled it up with water which had a dissolved centrum tablet. I don't know what I am doing exactly, but I am hoping it likes its new home! Its apparently a wonder plant for a lot of reasons. The site says that the chinese are particularly found of watercress, even though it comes from elsewhere.
[www.watercress.com]

I have grown chinese celery saving the root and planting it. Chinese celery usually has the root attached. I don't know if the root is used, or if it just serves to keep the celery top fresher. I like the chinese celery better, its more tender, yet cripser and has a more intense flavor. Oddly enough, the second time the tops came up they tasted better. This site says that the flavor may be too intense for a salad, but I find the taste totally agreeable. Although my favorate way to eat it is mixed with waterchestnuts. Seeds are available for order on that webpage.
[www.kitazawaseed.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Growing watercress, chinese celery
Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 23, 2008 04:58AM

I've never grown watercress but I have been eating so much of it lately. My daughter and I have been adding watercress to all our salads. We also buy the live hydroponically grown ones.

I'm definitely craving greens these days. Although I've always liked greens, I never craved them until recently. I've been eating a lot of dandelion too.

Date: April 25, 2008 04:09AM

Roxeli,
Don't they make your breath, teeth and saliva feel fresh? A lot of people depend so much on a toothbrush, but I find that I don't feel completely clean until I have eaten some type of green. (note that I still brush my teeth)

Have you ever tried chinese celery?

Posted by: roxeli ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:56AM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Roxeli,
> Don't they make your breath, teeth and saliva feel
> fresh? A lot of people depend so much on a
> toothbrush, but I find that I don't feel
> completely clean until I have eaten some type of
> green. (note that I still brush my teeth)
>
> Have you ever tried chinese celery?

Yes! I love how greens make my breath fresh. I notice that with watercress, parsley, and cilantro. And I never have morning breath anymore. (although I still brush my teeth too)

I haven't tried chinese celery yet. I'll have to keep my eye open for some.

Posted by: RawKitty ()
Date: April 26, 2008 04:20PM

Mislu - I was just wondering the same thing about those watercress roots! Let me know how yours comes along. I have been putting some in my morning smoothie, and I really like it.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: May 04, 2008 09:03AM

i stuck a watercress plant in my garden and it has created tonnes of little watercress plants - they are coming up everywhere! I'm not sure if this helps. watercress is very good for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2008 09:04AM by Grayzie.

Date: May 07, 2008 04:32AM

Rawkitty & grayzie,
I put the roots in a little bowl with organic matter, sand, water. It doesn't appear to have done anything at all. its not growing, it doesn't look like its died or rotted either. It would be nice to have new leaves, or flowers and seeds to start new plants.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables