Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

hooray - good news - thyroid.....
Posted by: Piano Gal ()
Date: June 08, 2006 03:20PM

About 7 years ago, I was having to take 2.5 grains of natural (Not synthetic!) thyroid. Yoiks. I went raw. The need went up and down for awhile. It has now stabalized at 1/2 grain which is next to nada. I feel that working with Rainbow Green (low sugar) has done the trick. When I was eating higher fruit it was all over the place. Anyway, I'm celebrating. This is very good news. I also think the celtic salt in water is helping. NOw, I'm not saying this method is for everyone. But I think it might be very good for people who are hypothyroid.

YippeeCaiyaiyippeeyay!

Piano Gal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hooray - good news - thyroid.....
Posted by: jackie ()
Date: June 08, 2006 05:17PM

Wow, that IS good news!

My thyroid is not functioning, because I was taking some medication that made my body think my thyroid was an invader, and it attacked it and that's the end of that.

So I'm taking 3 grains of (probably) the same natural thyroid stuff, and hoping that being raw will make my body accept it back again, but so far, no luck at all.

At least my hair stopped falling out from the thyroid medication! I believe the evening primrose oil plus all the other great raw food I eat has taken care of that problem.

*sigh*

Well, it could be worse. My body COULD have attacked my nose from the inside out or something just as weird, boy that would have been a tough thing to live with...

Again, congratulations!

Posted by: cfd7f ()
Date: June 08, 2006 06:37PM

What is the natural Thyroid stuff you take? I take synthroid (I have no thyroid, having had it removed because of thyroid cancer). Congrats on the good news.

Raw Daddy -- livin' raw and lovin' it

Jackie, Raw Daddy ( I love that name!)
Date: June 08, 2006 09:39PM

I take Naturethroid. It's very cheap - about 7 dollars per month. I get it from my MD.
Jackie, - that sounds SO unfun. I wish you all the very best in the continuing righting of the problem.

With love,

PG

OH, I forgot.....
Date: June 09, 2006 01:37AM

I cannot praise the value of coconut oil enough for the thyroid. I think it's been a big part of the healing. AT least 2 TBS per day over months.

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 09, 2006 01:47PM

Hi Jackie. I'm taking starflower oil (borage oil) as it has twice the GLA as EPO. Do you know if this is also suitable?
Many thanks.

I don't know.....but
Date: June 09, 2006 04:29PM

I DO know that coconut oil is superb for the thyroid. Do a search on Ray Peat. It is also an anti-viral and very good for candida.

Date: June 09, 2006 08:05PM

I've heard good things about borage oil, too. I imagine it will do the trick, just as if not better than evening primrose oil. I'll try it when this batch of epo runs out.

I lately have been eating one fresh coconut daily. Yummie! I prefer it to the oil straight up. In fact, that's how I feel about all oils now, including hemp. Rather have the "real" complete thing.

I need to go to the doc for a thyroid checkup, I'll see if there is any change, although I don't think so...I would have felt it. I feel great, considering, but it just irks me that I'm stuck taking a *bleep* pill every day for, like, EVER!

I take the Armour thyroid, it's the only one (they say) on the drug plan I have, they don't have Naturethroid or I'd be using that one.

Well, bye all!

Posted by: rawdev ()
Date: June 09, 2006 10:27PM

I use to eats tons of food listed below but now I watch it because my TSH (thyroid-stimulating hormone) was a little high (it was 5.8 and should range between .3 & 3.0). I was stunned with this because I loved kale (all 3 kinds). So I cut out certain veggies/my liking for kale and my TSH is normal again.
It can be tough because I alwasy also just looked at the great benefits of certain foods (spinach, turnips, etc.) and never realized it could or can cause problems for some people.

Foods which can suppress the manufacture of thyroid hormone by interfering with your thyroid's ability to process iodide, they are called "goitrogens" or "goitrous foods." Goitrogens can cause a sporadic goiter, a type of thyroid growth.

You may experience symptoms of hypothyroid (listed below) after ingesting any of the following foods:

PEACHES
PEARS
STRAWBERRIES (info conflicts on this one, one site recommended it being good for the thyroid)

POLYUNSATURATED OILS/NUTS
FLAXSEED
HEMPSEEDS
PUMPKIN SEEDS

PEANUTS
PINE NUTS
MILLET

SOYBEANS/SOY/TOFU/EDAMAME-also I suspect may include other foods with phytoestrogens may affect people with high estrogen already because estrogen causes an increase in the amount of circulating thyroid binding globulin (THG). THG is a protein that "soaks up" freely circulating thyroid hormone, turning it from "free" to "bound" thyroid hormone. So even though your thyroid levels might be normal, less of what your have is active. This contributes to weight gain, less energy and dry skin. Excessively high estrogen may diminish the effectiveness of your circulating thyroid hormones.

TURNIPS
SPINACH
KALE
KOHLRABI
MUSTARD GREENS
CASSAVA ROOT
RUTABAGA
SWEET POTATOES
CABBAGE
BROCCOLI
CAULIFLOWER (ALL BRASSICA FAMILY VEGETABLES)
LIMA BEANS
BRUSSEL SPROUTS
NITRATE-RICH FOODS- LUNCH MEATS
RADISHES (may be beneficial or suppressive)

ALSO AVOID:
DAIRY(also iodine from salt licks, hormones)
WHEAT
CAFFEINE
ALCOHOL
FLOURIDE (toothpaste)
CHLORINE (tap water)
IODINE(TOO MUCH, OR UNNATURAL FORMS)CAN CAUSE THYROID STORM CRASH which can produce manic-like or psychotic symptoms
PROCESSED FOODS
ANTIHISTAMINES
SULFA DRUGS
LITHIUM (CAN SUPRESS THYROID)-also known to cause acne
CARBOHYDRATES-too much can create chemical in your intestines that suppresses thyroid

All these foods above can possibly interfere with thyroid function.

Just by supplementing iodine and L-tyrosine you may increase the production of your thyroid gland. They are the two things used in the production of thyroid hormone. People with high blood pressure have to be careful with L-tyrosine.

Other supplements that may help thyroid health: Vit A, B-complex, Vit C, Vit E, zinc, selenium, and iron.

Herbs that may help hypothyroid(low thyroid): Horsetail(helps hair), oatstraw, alfalfa, gotu kola, kelp(natural source of iodine), bladderwrack(iodine), irish moss, coleus foreskohlii, cinamon bark, sargassum, bayberry, black cohosh, ginko biloba, golden seal(short period of time), licorice, rose hips, rosemary

Oils that may be helpful in stimulating the thyroid: Olive oil and coconut oil(highly recommended, both good for cooking), coconut oil is tastes good, it doesn't taste like coconut.

EFA's may be deficient with thyroid problematic people,

Foods recommended for hypothyroidism (low thyroid)that may help thyroid function:

ALFALFA
LEAFY GREENS(NOT KALE or SPINACH)
BEET TOPS
CARROTS
GREEN PEPPERS
PARSLEY
SEAWEEDS
SPROUTS
WATERCRESS

APPLES
APRICOTS
CRANBERRY
GRAPEFRUIT
GRAPES
PINEAPPLE

Here a link (there's many more on goitrogen foods):

[www.stopthethyroidmadness.com]

Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 14, 2006 12:35PM

Thanks Jackie!
Thanks Rawdev !

Date: July 13, 2006 06:46PM

Bump

Date: July 14, 2006 09:32AM

Saw this got bumped up, so I thought I'd report in.

In the interim from my last post I went for my thyroid checkup, and sadly, my TSH is up from .18 to 5.1.

Yeah, I know the TSH reading isn't the most important thing, it's really the symptoms that are important, but it just indicates that for some reason my body keeps adjusting upward, requiring more of the medication.

I haven't increased my dosage yet, going to call over to the doctors today and see wuzzup.

My symptoms are, basically, some hair loss, and impossibility of weight loss, I mean, it won't move from it's spot on the scale no matter how much or how little I eat, high fruit, low fruit, blah blah blah, it just stays put.

Which, IMHO, is NOT a bad thing, except I'm 30 pounds overweight! *sigh* Oh, well, we'll see.

I have just recently found out that the Armour Thyroid pill was designed to be taken sub-lingually, so I started doing that. I've also backed off from so many goitrogeneous foods, more beet greens and parsley with some spinach and kale now and then, rather than the other way around.

I also do the watercure thing, of course just not every day because I don't do anything the same way every day, just my nature...but I don't see the watercure as bad advice.

Oh well. Just have to live with it, I guess, since the poor ol' thyroid won't be coming back to life in this incarnation...

Jackie, I get it....
Date: July 14, 2006 12:53PM

I can't lose the weight either, no matter what. The Tsh's are normal now - can't lose the weight anyway. Wish I had advice and answers for you. One tiny piece of the puzzle you might consider - different thyroid supps (natural) work for different people, so I understand. If you have a chiro that does muscle testing - you might have him/her test you for Armour and see if it is optimum to your overall helath pattern or not. Not that muscle testing is the be-alland end all. Just one more indicator to put in your bag of tricks.

I've started doing the same thing you have - leaving out my beloved Kale etc. And doing the waterthing. We'll see what happens over time. I'd love to hear.

Much love,

PG

Date: July 14, 2006 04:53PM

Hi!
Well, I'll keep you posted as "the journey" continues...

Like a soap opera: "As the Thyroid Heals..."

Hahaha!

I'm also thinking seriously about rejoining a gym, just because an extra hour of weight lifting per day can't hurt, may be the answer I'm seeking. I'll make my decision this weekend about that.

Plus it's SO hot out, I rarely take my 5 mile walks anymore. Not that I lost an ounce when walking 5 miles daily, and 100% raw for 3 months, either...

*sigh*

Oh well, it is what it is.

Date: July 14, 2006 07:22PM

There are other factors involving the Thyroid.
How's your Cortisol/Adrenal gland?

Adrenal fatigued can lead to weight gain or hard to lose any weight.

If you haven't done so already I would highly recommend doing the Saliva tests over the blood tests for TSH, T3, T4, FT3, FT4, DHEA, Cortisol/Adrenal. The Saliva tests are more accurate.
Because my blood tests were normal but saliva tests were out of control.
This is the same for the B12/homocysteine test. For 4 years my B12 was normal on the blood work but when I did the saliva b12 test my homocysteine was high and B12 was low. I did this just out of curiosity and compared them side-by-side (blood B12 to Saliva B12) and it was like night & day, results.

Date: July 14, 2006 11:26PM

Rawdev,

Can you provide any additional information re: saliva tests for TSH, T3, T4, FT3, FT4, DHEA, Cortisol/Adrenal?

Is this something administered by a doctor or that I do myself.

If doing it myself, how do I authenticate the results to discuss with doctor? My doc is pretty cool, he thinks I'm a bit over the top with the mostly raw, but we work together on my health issues.

I don't recall hearing about this saliva test for all these things, thank you so much for the information.

I'll wait for your post.

Date: July 16, 2006 07:34PM

[thecanaryclub.org]

$142 may seem high but they check everything. TSH, FreeT3, FreeT4, DHEA, Cortisol/Adrenal.
I'm actually going to do this test again because you can compare each tests online

Again, I highly recommend this saliva test because it's more accurate than blood testing.

Date: July 18, 2006 11:01AM

I had Hashimoto Thyroiditis and still have Hypothyroidism. (also use to have a cold nodule and goiter).

I took Synthroid for 3 years and was sooooo ill with about 25 symptoms with the worse being the Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue and HEADACHE(S). I had a headache that came and stayed for 3 years!!!!

Anyway, I switched from Synthroid to Armour Thyroid and within 10 days my symptoms were all gone. (I was unable to convert my T4 to T3 and needed the T3 from the Armour Thyroid). I also had my adrenal glands treated (with Cortisol for a year).

I then wondered why I had thyroid disease and learned about eating raw. Once I hit about 75% raw, which took a while to get there, I started to see changes. I eventually went from 2 grains of Armour Thyroid down to 3/4 grains. I truely believe if I could get to 100% raw, I will be off of all of the Armour Thyroid!!!! I have read numerous testimonies of people who got off their thyroid meds after going 100% raw.

For those who are interested, here is my story, along with before and after photos: [www.shazzie.com] My story hasn't been updated yet (don't want to until I'm totally off the meds), but since my last update on there my meds were cut back again, I'm now 52 and am now a 3rd degree black belt, still teaching and competing. Life is GREAT - I LOVE what raw foods do for me!!!

I try to eat the Natural Hygiene way (80/10/10rv) when I am raw. Still working on getting bbq potato chips out of my diet . . . my biggest challenge, my comfort food. I do not use supplements, other than my thyroid meds. I do avoid goitrous foods.

<>< Helen of Tennessee
[www.shazzie.com]

Date: July 18, 2006 02:17PM

Thanks for the lead, Rawdev, and thanks Helen for your post!

I look at this as an ongoing journey, and since I feel OK, <---the most important thing, I can do this pretty painlessly.

Have a great day, everyone!

Posted by: chickory ()
Date: July 18, 2006 02:27PM

Congratulations Piano Gal and thany you, RAWDEV, for the list
Chickory

Date: July 19, 2006 11:57PM

Helen,

What foods do you eat that have helped you in your journey?

"I eventually went from 2 grains of Armour Thyroid down to 3/4 grains. I truly believe if I could get to 100% raw, I will be off of all of the Armour Thyroid!!!! I have read numerous testimonies of people who got off their thyroid meds after going 100% raw."

Does Armour help with the Adrenal gland also?
Or is Armour for thyroid treatments only?

Also, could you possibly provide a link to those testimonies because that would be really helpful in learning and understanding from other people’s experiences...Maybe try their route/path?

Thank You Kindly

Why Vegan?
Because I have the most love and admiration for all animals of the earth!!!
a rawvegan hopeful, rawdev4life!!!

Date: July 20, 2006 05:26PM

Hi Rawdev,

Armour Thyroid didn't help my adrenals. I took cortisol for a year for my adrenal glands. This was before I knew about eating raw.

Here are some of the testimonies of people who are no longer on thyroid meds or have overcome other thyroid diseases with raw foods:

Rick – Thyroid Cancer
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]

Jaime was on 180mg of Armour Thyroid. After one year of being 100% raw, she is totally off her meds. Plus she went from 300 pounds down to 140.
[pub39.ezboard.com]
[www.shazzie.com]

Rose Lee Calabro – Hypothyroidism – raw foods only
[www.rawfood.com]

Igor Boutenko [www.consumerhealth.org]

Carlene – go down to Dec. 19th
[ibeatobesity.com]

As for what I eat . . . I'm EXTREMELY picky!!!! I prefer whole raw foods like watermelon, cantaloupe, strawberries . . . mostly fruits and occasional salads. I am not 100% raw but very high raw. The only prepared raw food dishes I like are smoothies and occassionally when I want something sweet I'll make some raw almond cookies. One of my biggest downfalls in the non-raw areas are bbq potato chips. Earlier this year I went 50 days without them, but somehow they are back to haunt me again. I will win this battle. My next weakest area are grains. Occasional bread or pasta. Again, I will win this area too. When I can conquer these areas, I should be able to stay 100% raw and get off my meds for good!!!!

<>< Helen of Tennessee
[www.shazzie.com]

Date: July 21, 2006 11:05PM

Those are some great testimonies.
I guess I'm one of a few people who has had a reverse affect on eating rawfoods and getting or creating a bad (under functioning) thyroid. I don't know where I went wrong.......

Why Vegan?

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: November 01, 2006 02:52AM

I am trying to add foods with more ccomplex carbs like Yams for my thyroid. My thyroid book recomended Yams. I don't know what else to do because my fruit diet has been making it go haywire.

Date: November 10, 2006 08:17PM

..bumpity..
..bump-bump..
..bumpity..
..bump-bump..
..over the hills we go!!!

This is the stuff that should be on the first page...

Has anyone healed their Adrenal Gland (the little glands that rest on top of the kidneys) through rawfoods?
The gland that releases hormones when one reaches the "fight or flight" reaction.

Or does someone know a book or website that has a list of foods that help the Adrenal (kind of like the list I posted above for the Thyroid gland) Gland?

The herb Licorice Root is beneficial for the AD...

Why Vegan?

Posted by: Alyeska ()
Date: November 11, 2006 10:15AM

Hello,
I am new to this message board but very interested in thyroid issues as I have just been dealing with autoimmune hyperthyroidism. Now this is the opposite of hypothyroidism mentioned in the above posts but I wanted to let you know how I helped my thyroid heal.
Check out this website:
www.ithyroid.com
I cannot recommend this site enough - it is fabulous. With the help of a good wholefoods multivitamin I was able to get my thyroid back to normal.
Apparently, thyroid issues are a case of (extreme) malnutrition, and I don't believe this is from raw foods necessarily but there are so many factors involved. I know the ones that triggered my problem. But once you are in a state of malnutrition it is not easy to get out with raw foods alone (that's my experience). So I added a no-no in the raw-food world: supplements. And that worked!!!
Good luck and speedy healing to all of you!
Greetings,
Alyeska

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables