Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pot belly
Posted by: rosemary ()
Date: June 09, 2006 01:49PM

I have grown a pot belly on raw. Is this cos I'm eating more (fibre) than I did ? I'm tired of it! What is your experience?

Re: Pot belly
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 09, 2006 06:36PM

-Probably...and yes...its normal....especially if you are on the thin / petite side.

-You can eat smaller quantities......more often to reduce this. Mix foods less, and you will experience less gas and bloating.

-Just my experience.

-David Mason

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: June 09, 2006 09:30PM

Try walking or running - 4 miles a day or more if you can. I've found there's nothing like walking or running to keep my tummy trim (and my attitude positive).

Also, do you feel satisfied when you eat? If not, you might need to eat more seeds, nuts, veggies, fruits, wheat germ, maca, or whatever you think may be lacking just so you don't eat too much and stretch your stomach capacity.

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: June 09, 2006 11:53PM

Rosemary,

Have you started doing any colonic hydrotherapy or enema's? If not, then this is the time to start. One of the best internal cleansing products I've found is Dr. Natura [www.drnatura.com]. I would also recommend that you purchase an enema kit from the optimal health network. Here's a link to the one I use [optimalhealthnetwork.com]. Also, the neem powder from Health and Yoga, who I originally bought my enema kit from, has neem powder, which is excellent for administering an enema to flush the colon. You can find it at the bottom of this page.

<[healthandyoga.com];

Take care,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: jan ()
Date: June 10, 2006 12:00PM

Hi Marcos,

What an excellent site! It's filled with information!
Thanks I'll be ordering one!
Jan

Date: June 14, 2006 12:29PM

Thankyou everyone !

What is wheat germ for? Is this form of wheat ok. Is it truly raw?

I will work on having smaller meals.

Yes I will work on my digestive system and elimination, so thanks !

Posted by: luna_sky_1 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 07:23PM

Have you noticed any differences since the 9th?

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 07:57PM

that's funny, I used to have a pot belly and my stomach got nice & flat on raw.

I can't imagine that having a pot belly would be normal & healthy, there are so many ways to eat raw, I think you just have to find the right combination of foods for your body.

Date: June 14, 2006 09:50PM

And no...wheat germ is not raw. The raw form would be raw wheat berries (grains)....soaked and sprouted.

-David Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: June 14, 2006 10:16PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And no...wheat germ is not raw. The raw form would
> be raw wheat berries (grains)....soaked and
> sprouted.

Hi Dave,

what is done to the wheat germ to stop it being raw?

Also, I don't believe that things need to be sprouted to be raw. Sprouted things are 'living' foods, 'raw' food are things that have not been heated, or at least that's the way I've been viewing things.

Ian.

Posted by: vegangoddess ()
Date: June 14, 2006 11:12PM

I also read that the having a pot belly whilst raw might mean that the body is not able to digest all the nutrients properly yet. When I heard about green smoothies I started out with a big amount ( despite Victoria`s warning)
and found myself bloated. I decreased the amount and find that sometimes it`s important to start off eating less and slowly increase it as the strength of the body does.

Date: June 14, 2006 11:15PM

Hmmm....wheat grain anatomy....been a while! Ha! ha! In my opinion, the best raw diet for me is one composed of fresh raw plant food. And how do I know my food is vital and full of energy? Because it would grow if I planted it. If the stuff does not....then it aint AS vital as other things that I prefer. As such......wheat germ is the bran coating stripped off a wheat berry. It sure won't grow! Ha! ha!

Here's the anatomy part:

Wheat kernels are the seeds of the wheat plant. There are three parts which make up the wheat kernel: the endosperm, the bran, and the germ. The endosperm is the largest part of the kernel and takes up eighty-three percent of the kernel's mass. This is the area where the starch is stored. Before the seed in the ground has grown roots to take nourishment from the soil, the germ can live on the starch in the endosperm. Besides starch, the endosperm also contains carbohydrates, protein, iron, and B-complex vitamins. The wheat bran is the outer coat of the kernel and, therefore, is a very good source of fiber. It comprises about 14.5 percent of the kernel's mass. Wheat bran is included in whole wheat flour, like that used in cereals such as WheatUp. Bran also contains protein, B-complex vitamins, and indigestible cellulose material. The wheat germ is the sprouting section or embryo of the wheat. It makes up about 2.5 percent of the total kernel mass. The germ contains a great deal of B-complex vitamins and trace minerals. Wheat germ is also included in whole wheat flour.

-In respect & support,

-David Mason

Date: June 15, 2006 03:52AM

The Fearn Naturfresh Raw Wheat Germ is indeed raw, although David is right that it will not sprout. Flour will also not sprout, but both are raw. There is one other brand of wheat germ that is raw. I don't know the name.

David's description of wheat germ above is accurate when he says, "wheat germ is the sprouting section or embryo of the wheat".

I agree with David Zane Mason that the foods that are whole are the best. Personally wheat germ and cold pressed olive oil are the only foods I eat that are not whole.

It would be better to use sprouted wheat than wheat germ. I just like the taste of the wheat germ a lot. I always put it on my salads, with the olive oil and lemon juice. I try to do wheat sprouts instead sometimes, but I often don't time it right. Often the sprouts are at their peak to taste good in a salad, and then I don't want a salad.

Rosemary, I thought of this later. Yoga is great for posture and elimination, 2 things possibly related to pot belly. Maybe you already do yoga, but just in case you don't, I like BKS Iyengar, "Light on Yoga". He is considered the greatest living master in the world today and is an incredible teacher. The book is set up in sections, from beginners to advanced. If you've never done his program, you might feel a difference from even the first lesson of the beginners section. I did, and I've been doing his program now for almost 20 years.

Love, Ally

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2006 03:57AM by Ally.

Date: June 15, 2006 04:10AM

I forgot to mention, if anyone goes out and buys raw wheat germ, make sure you buy it prepackaged and then refrigerate it. DON'T buy it from the bulk bin, because it often goes rancid in the bin.

Thanks,

-Ally

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 15, 2006 10:00AM

rosemary Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have grown a pot belly on raw. Is this cos I'm
> eating more (fibre) than I did ? I'm tired of it!
> What is your experience?

Sounds like too much fruit or too much nuts. Maybe both.

Drink a lot of water, excersise more, eat more greens/salads (and drink more green juice) and give your body long breaks between meals. Also, don't overeat in general.

Date: June 21, 2006 12:36PM

Thanks again everyone!
it could be a candida thing,or poor digestion, not chewing. i'm having a live blood analysis tomorrow so maybe i'll discover something there. i've also started taking the herb cat's claw , which is a digestive system cure all, with good results so far. I think long breaks between meals is a good point, and sometimes hard on raw food grazing. I've started doing yogalates regularly too! wheat germ sounds interesting. i guess i would have to try it to see if it felt raw. also i'm avoiding wheat, i'm not sure if the same applies to the germ, ie: gluten etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables