Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Does Raw Broccoli affect your thyroid????
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 04, 2008 08:29PM

I have been reading about cruciferous veggies is, do they suppress the thyroid when eaten raw?

Most articles or info in books just state that we need to cook cruciferous veggies because otherwise they negatively affect the thyroid. This article is very odd, but it's the most comprehensive I've come across so far. It implies that all cruciferous, whether cooked or raw, are not good in large amounts:

"At low concentrations, the goitrogens in cabbage and other crucifers inhibit the uptake of iodine by the thyroid gland; this effect can be overcome by an increased dietary intake of iodine. At high concentrations, however, these chemicals inhibit the incorporation of iodine into thyroid hormone. In this case, even the iodine that makes it into the thyroid gland cannot be used; dietary iodine therefore cannot overcome the effect of very large amounts of crucifers" (Gaitan E. Goitrogens in Food and Water. Ann Rev. 1990; 10: 21-39.)

What "very large amounts" of cruciferous veggies means is not clear.

Here's the whole article:

[www.westonaprice.org]

Anyone know any truth to this?

Thanks for the input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does Raw Broccoli affect your thyroid????
Posted by: LikeItOrNot ()
Date: September 06, 2008 10:41PM

I've never believed this theory much just because probably 98% of people who develop underactive thyroids or "hypothyroidism" are typical SADers and hardly eat any "goitrogens" or "crucifers". Maybe some greens in their Subway salad and that's about it.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 06, 2008 11:44PM

LikeItOrNot Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've never believed this theory much just because
> probably 98% of people who develop underactive
> thyroids or "hypothyroidism" are typical SADers
> and hardly eat any "goitrogens" or "crucifers".
> Maybe some greens in their Subway salad and that's
> about it.
That's right. All nutritional theories are
invalid for the Raw Foodist when the Tests are done using
SAD eaters. The Hard Stalks of Broccoli, and Cauliflower,
may very well be good for the Thyroid.....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 13, 2008 03:49AM

IMHO I respectfully disagree that all nutritional theories are invalid for the raw foodist when the tests are done using SAD eaters. It's important to evaluate all information for ourselves. From my own personal experience in evaluating the article, I do have concerns. Based on the information, I might be more at risk precisely because I do consume a lot more cruciferous vegetables than the SAD, an average of 8-10 servngs per week average. And all raw which according to the research could be a concern. Include in that 1 or more cups of broccoli sprouts and it's definitely worth checking out.

Diagnosed with hypothyroidism 4 years ago I have been on natural thyroid hormones and began a raw food vegan diet shortly after that. Although I've been able to successfully address many health issues by eating a 80- 100% raw diet the hypothyroidism has been resistant to improvement. Approximately 3 months ago I added Iosol iodine supplement to my diet and my temperature is finally consistently above 97.2 (below that is considered a symptom of hypothyroidism).

Recently while I am juice fasting, I have completely eliminated cruciferous vegetables, all sources of soy; and canola and safflower oil, also potential goitrogens to see if that affects my temperature also. Then over the next 3 months I start weaning off the last 25% of the thyroid hormone dosage (under a doctor's supervision).

The interference of goitrogens with the production of thyroid hormones can happen more with raw cruciferous vegetables than cooked. Cooking them for 30 minutes destroys 90% of goitrogens. Am I going to cook my broccoli and cabbage? No! Because other vital nutrients are destroyed. Am I going to stop eating cruciferous veggies? No! Because they have higher bioavailable amounts of calcium than milk per calorie and they are teeming with Vitamins C and K just to name a few. What I gleaned from this article is that moderation is the key for me since I already have thyroid problems and whenever I consume any cruciferous vegetables I take a little more iodine.

I have a blog (www.rawareness.blogspot.com)on which I will be posting my results with the understanding that this is a personal decision and that I recommend supervision by a holistic MD regarding any prescription medication.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2008 04:03AM by rawawreness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables