Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How to grow and maintain wheat grass
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 16, 2006 08:59PM

This might be a ridiculous question, but how do you care for wheat grass once it is growing? Do you just cut it with scissors when you want to make juice and water it and it grows like that forever? Dose one ever have to reseed? Does the grass loose its health value over time or is it always good? Dose one have to change the soil or fertilize ever?

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to grow and maintain wheat grass
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 17, 2006 05:41PM

That's not a ridiculous question at all. The answer is....."It all depends." Most wheatgrass growers plant in shallow trays with very little potting mix and no fertilizer. That type of grass is only good for one cutting. If you grow outside, or in deeper (no drain) trays with fertililizer, you might get several cuttings of good grass. I grow in deep bowls with fertilizer, but rarely cut a 'second' crop.
By the way, it's best to cut wheatgrass with a long, sharp knife.......WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2006 05:11PM

OK...

So if you are using a tray like the one that comes in this kit:
[www.wheatgrasskits.com]

once you cut the grass with a long sharp knife then you throw the remainder of the grass away? Do you keep the soil? What fertilizer do you recommend? Please note I will be growing in my kitchen, so I would prefer not to use anything too stinky and dungy.

Also, how does that kit look?

M

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: December 18, 2006 05:43PM

This is exciting.....growing wheatgrass. The kit is a good start. If you decide you want to grow wheatgrass on a regular basis, you'll develop your own special techniques.
The fertilizer I recommend is a mixture of vegetable scraps (I use carrot) and clay (for trace minerals). I blend it in my Vita-Mix. Everything should be very 'clean' smelling, so growing in your kitchen should pose no problem. After cutting the grass, the 'mat' should be composted somehow.
If you have questions or comments along the way, post them here. Maybe someone else will share. I don't claim to have all the answers........WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables